Wild soup for dinner!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
Had a nice walk today, with my mother in law's dogs. I was keeping an eye out for anything interesting on the way, and, luckily, growing from the trunk of a dead elder tree, spotted some jelly ear fungi.

So, because I'm a massive nerd, I checked them against Geoff Dann's book and the river cottage mushroom book, just in case.

So, wild jelly ear hot and sour soup, withthe sourness coming from the wood sorrell growing outside my front door.

To make it, I put 500ml of water in the pan, along with the mushrooms and 2 beef stock cubes, and boiled it all for 20 minutes or so.

Then, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger root and some chillies flakes, and a dash of dark soy sauce.

Finally, I added the sorrel and stirred a beaten egg in to thicken.

The flavour was hot and sour, obviously, but I couldn't get any distinct taste from the mushrooms. The texture, however, was where they really stood out. After boiling for the better part of half an hour, they still kept their shape and some elasticity - they were somewhere between slippery and rubbery, but by no means unpleasant.

Verdict: nice enough, and it's rewarding to be able to use wild ingredients, but I think the average person, who's not into wild food or foraging would struggle to be enthusiastic about them. That said, next time I see enough to merit picking, I'll do so.

Sorry for my bad photos, I was preoccupied with the cookery!

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I hope it tasted better than it looked! :rolleyes:

Only joking.. good on ya for foraging ya dinner :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Jelly ear doesn't have much of a taste it is mainly used to thicken a soup or stew you did get a free meal though, after thought it dries very well and stores for ages.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Nicely done. I haven't had the courage to try jelly ear yet, but this might just push me to do it thanks! Seems that they are quite prolific just at the moment. And there's nothing wrong with double checking mushrooms.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE