WIP - Birch burl kuksa

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I thought I would make a kuksa today (kosa in the ever so elegant Swedish tounge :))....Or rather start doing one today. Here goes:

I start of by making a quick sketch to get proportions and such right. The material itself has final say, of course...but it gets me thinking anyway:

20141203_110929_zpsiga8mtok.jpg

Ok...of to the garage, where I start with this burl:

20141203_131612_zpsudedk2zs.jpg

Using the bandsaw i take away wood so I get closer to the planned design. However, you can come across bark inclusions in the burl. Either saw some more or use the burl for other things.

...so after a couple of hours at the band saw you end up with something like this:
20141203_144216_zpsatdelueq.jpg

hihihi...well, not quite...The inclusions in the pice led me to make a kuksa for doing shots...so it did not go as planned, exactly. But I like shots...so I am pretty happy either way.

I will try to have some more pics later this evening

/Greger

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
:lmao:Mother Nature always has the final say! Looking good though and looking forward to seeing your progression. Plus with the price of alcohol in Sweden surely the odd shot is all most folk have! I do like you're design drawing as well, well done and nice flowing lines.

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Should make a nice little one. I recently finished off making two window pieces out of Birch Burls and left the bark inclusions in them to add character, I currently have a nice size burl in the freezer waiting to be worked into a large kuksa and am hoping to get a start on it this winter with the rest of the carving projects I have planned fingers crossed.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Whilst I appreciate the time and effort that goes into making a good Kuksa, and as much as I would luuuuuurve one, I can't justify the outlay just yet, fingers crossed for a better year and who knows.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I love the design drawing - wonderfully elegant!

Good luck with the project; I look forward to seeing how it progresses!

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Alcohol IS expensive in Sweden...perhaps a thing for another DIY project ;)

So...the kuksa ended up a miniature of what i first intended....so the design went out the window and I played it by ear.
First off...the smallish size made me rethink the carving approach...I used an over sized drill bit instead (I think the bit is used for drilling knots(?) out of wood)

20141203_180057_zpsagmvyxz5.jpg

I then sanded it to size on a disc sander
20141203_180407_zps7hctirnb.jpg

The bottom required some carving, however (sorry for the crappy quality here):
20141203_181128_zps4xoi0wwj.jpg

After cutting a groove, using a round file and a Dremel with an enormous dental drill (ball on a shaft thing), I neeed to start sanding it by hand. I made the groove to "fit" the lower lip...I do want to consume malt, moonshine or whatnot in an ergonomic and stately fashion...

20141203_194832_zpszcizs2vm.jpg

I poured some water over the kuksa to get a feel for how it will turn out when I apply some oil to it (And I was a bit bored sanding it, to be honest):
20141203_195827_zpsmr97satu.jpg

A word on the location....The group I am a part of, have the great fortune to be allowed to use a school wood shop...We normally make knives every wednesday.

EDIT 1: Spell check
EDIT 2: It holds 2 cl

that is all for now...to be continued.
Greger

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That does look beautiful with that wonderful grain. As there is centre grain in there I hope it doesn't split, as that would be a shame.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
It is bone dry...been stored in a heated garage for 2+ years and i hope that it is enough. Otherwise i have made an elaborate piece of fire wood :)
I was gifted to me in dry condition. If I had harvested it the myself, I would have applied wood glue everywhere (not on the bark, though) and then let it dry out slowly....As it stands....well, I will have to wait and see...

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It is bone dry...been stored in a heated garage for 2+ years and i hope that it is enough. Otherwise i have made an elaborate piece of fire wood :)
I was gifted to me in dry condition. If I had harvested it the myself, I would have applied wood glue everywhere (not on the bark, though) and then let it dry out slowly....As it stands....well, I will have to wait and see...

You'll probably be ok then. I have one I carved in centre grain, from green. It hasn't split.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
.I used an over sized drill bit instead (I think the bit is used for drilling knots(?) out of wood)

Just to get technical, that is a forstner bit. A flat bottomed bit for drilling shallow holes where your wood isn't too thick and you don't want to break through the other side. For example, sinking concealed hinges in kitchen cupboards.

nice job on the kuksa. Knocking back a few shots in that, I'm sure will be a pleasure.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
A Kuksa is high on my "to do" list and it may happen this year as I have to visit MIL over the holidays...hiding out in her garage might just keep me sane. I too like the working drawing but really like they way you adapted it due to the wood. :D

Rob.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The most convenient edge for shaping and finishing the void can be as simple as a farrier's hoof trimming knife
with the entire bevel revised to 12 degrees. There's a progressive sweep to the blade ending in a scorp-like hook at the tip.
I have done 15 of those. Besides Mora (Sweden) #171 R/L, the #172 is too wide, Diamond (Taiwan) (#271),
Hall (Canada) drop blades and Ukal/Supervet (France) are all in my kit.
Buying both the right-handed and left-handed versions is a practical/carving necessity. The handle shapes
are just fine for wood carving.

Two sources:
1. Any shop selling horse care products should stock one or more brands of farrier's knives.
I see prices ranging from $12.00 to $50.00.
2. Pay a visit to your local farrier to ask what they do with "worn out" knives.
In my district, he just "tossed them into a box." I bought 3 of them for $5 each, which is dirt cheap.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
So...after some more glorious sanding I decided that enough is enough. I applied some ordinary cooking oil (Rapeseed). As it soaked in, I applied more. Is it soaked through? Probably not, but it is good enough, methinks.

Somewhere someone (Juran?) defined Quality as "Fitness for use", so I hade to field test it. I poured some Aqvavit and tested. It worked just fine...a bit small, to be honest. Feels too small, in fact...
I will do some extensive testing this coming weekend, where I try some single malt, blended, local moonshine.

20141204_210557_zpsbendappg.jpg

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Another method to apply an oil finish seems to have excellent durability.
I've finished 70 spoons and 30 forks, all birch, this way:

Preheat your oven to 300F, no hotter than 325F.
Coat the utensil with the oil of choice.
On a wire rack over a sheet pan, put your work into the oven (middle) for 3 minutes, by the clock.
No longer or it will brown nicely like fried potato.
Take it out and let it cool.

Here's what happened:
Charles' Law in gas physics predicts that the wood air will expand when heated.
Out of the oven, Charles' Law predicts that the remaining wood air will contract as it cools,
sucking the hot oil finish down into the surface wood much further
than any possible room temperature application.

It also means that the oil in the wood can't and won't move unless the piece is reheated to that temperature or higher.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Really liking the design drawings. Keep meaning to do that but never get round to it and go straight to the wood.

Might need to steal the handle idea as it's really nice.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
sure...steal away...I always do...

hahahah....Well...there is an Aqvavit appeal, no doubt. I having trouble with the minute installments, however comforting :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE