Winterizing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We Winterize our vehicles...we Winterize our homes...some of us even Winterize our lawns....so tonight, after my trip out for pictures yesterday, I decided to start the Winterizing of my pack that stays in the truck, and was curious if anyone else out there does this

While a lot of this stuff is just standard pack gear, I have added a few extra things and will add more
PICT1141.jpg

Along with my usual stuff I have added a good deal more fatwood, a larger candle (smaller one in the ruck), a full box of trioxane, a new magnesium stick along with the old one (the ferro rod is wearing down now), a poncho liner for a blanket, and some more food (will add more tomorrow), and because there are more hours of darkness in the Winter I also added a petzl lamp.
PICT1142.jpg

PICT1141.jpg

I love these poncho liners, they are very warm, very light, and don't hold moisture..it just passes through (they are a little more fire sensitive than wool however) this picture should give a little perspective t their size
PICT1143.jpg

I've also made sure I have plenty of water for a day or two, a two quart canteen, a one quart canteen, plus a one liter bottle inside the truck
PICT1149.jpg

and my canteen cup stove
PICT1146.jpg

PICT1148.jpg

Though I don't yet have the hatchet I want for this pack, I have put a fresh edge on my e-tool
PICT1133.jpg

I also bought another firesteel, and I'm still sometimes hauling around that heatsheet I am torturing.
PICT1152.jpg

Some people think this is a bit much stuff to keep in a vehicle on a regular basis but for me it is a good idea to have it around this time of year. Some of you know by now that one of my hobbies is going out and taking nature photos. This last trip out I was on a dirt road called the "Big Fork" road, which is a pass between two sections of Walden's Ridge.
MytruckatBigFork-2.jpg

TruckatBigFork.jpg

It had rained for two days prior to my going out there and while it was a little slippery in places the main road was for the most part ok but there were some swelled creeks and large pools of water here and there.
PICT1062.jpg

BluffatBigFork.jpg

PICT1127.jpg

Backing back out of a tight side trail (was trying to get closer to the bluff for pics) I got off in a good sized mud hole I had managed to quickly go through hitting the shallow side on the way in. I know this looks like an insignificant amount of mud, and actualy it is because as soon as the tires started spinning I switched into four-wheel-drive and backed on through the mud hole spinning very little. However had I been in a two-wheel-drive truck I would have been stuck there. There is no cellular service in that area and it was more than a dozen miles to the nearest phone no matter which way I went. Had it been one of those days when I was shooting sunsets out there, as that bluff faces Northwest, I may have been stuck anyway, had I gone further to the middle than I did my suspension would have been down into more solid mud..., who knows..., maybe ...maybe not. All went fine this time and I got some pretty good pictures, however I am very aware that things do not always go well and I would like to at least be able to spend the night in relative comfort and deal with things in the daylight.

Do any of you change your gear from season to season? If so what do you add or change?

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I would add two of those rubber doormats (the ones with holes in them), they're absolutely handy when you want to get out of mud/snow/sand.

Fine & practical kit. Do you have a saw?

Thanks. I need to add a few more things....another tow strap as I loaned mine to a contractor working on my brother's house....he killed it and I haven't replaced it. Probably should add a "come-along", I need to add some more food, a lantern for the candle, a few light sticks and no I don't have a saw yet..., I'm still trying to decide on one, I think I want to get a commercial grade folding pruning saw pref Swedish or German made..., still looking, any advice?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Nice set up Mistwalker, i keep thinking i should make a small kit up for the 4x4. I think i will now after seeing yours.

How about adding some glow sticks as well ??

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
I was stuck in floods twice last year and wished I had more water on board, time passes very slowly when your waiting for water to subside, I carry a Kelly kettle and gas burner for ease of boiling water and cooking I also carry 4 lts. of water all year round. I include a change of clothes so as to have something dry to change into, sounds like a lot but it takes up little space behind the drivers seat. Just thought I need a spare mug in case I'm not alone next time.

Pothunter.

Great pics and great idea too Mistwalker.

I'm curious about your poncho liner. I have one which looks exactly the same yet you say it doesn't hold moisture. A month or so ago I had one out for the weekend and for one reason or another I used it along with a wet sleeping bag. The poncho liner was useless, it was soaked through. I've use dthem when dry and tbh they are ok, however I have a much older poncho liner with slit for the head, in plain olive which is quilted and maybe three times as thick as my cammo one and it's much warmer.

Is there much variation in issue/civilian poncho liners? I would have thought making one in some kind of lightweight pile would make them more useable?

WS

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
Great tip Mastino on the rubber door mats as sand laddders. Beats carrying around lengths of PSP! I will def be adding those to my 4x4 as its pretty crap offroad compared to LR or hilux

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE