Winter Weekend in the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just thought I'd share a couple of piccies from the weekend, I'm still getting used to the new camera so a they're a bit iffy still ...

Camp for night one
P1000078P.jpg

My bedroom
P1000079P.jpg

Climbing up
P1000082P.jpg

Wainwrights' favourite
P1000088P.jpg

Snowline
P1000086P.jpg

Camp for night two
P1000119P.jpg

It was just a gear testing weekend and a bit more practice for a big walk we have coming up, the only bushy things I did was make a prop for my gravity water filter, carve an extra peg and build a fire each night on the bed of the rivers nearby. Good to get out in the cold though :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi rich. One thing i have noticed, why do you never peg your tarp straight to the floor. Instead you pull ot out tight with guys.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi rich. One thing i have noticed, why do you never peg your tarp straight to the floor. Instead you pull ot out tight with guys.

I do if it's rotten outside sometimes mate, I like to be able to see out a bit though, and get the breezes through. If it's howling down I won't get wet with it at that height, but sometimes it is better to block it out altogether and stake it down. If it's really bad I shorten the centre pole and make it much flatter, it's trickier getting in but it won't budge an inch with good anchors.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ah. Makes sense. How you getting on with the Jetboil?
i just got a couple of new ones including the Zip. Is that the Ti one in the pic.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Looks lovely mate, glad you found some of the white stuff again.

The last spot looks a cracking pitch.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Amazing bit of countryside,thanks for sharing :)

It's the first time I've been over that way and I'm looking forward to getting back fairly soon hopefully

Ah. Makes sense. How you getting on with the Jetboil?
i just got a couple of new ones including the Zip. Is that the Ti one in the pic.

Loving the Sol mate, it's my first JB so still in the honeymoon period :) I managed just over eleven litres off the first cart (sad but I counted)

looks ausome mate thanks for sharing

Cheers Drew

Fantastic Rich, stunning view there , did you do any paddling while you were there mate ?

No paddling this time, lots of walking and swamp dodging

Looks lovely mate, glad you found some of the white stuff again.

The last spot looks a cracking pitch.

There was a nice stand of pine directly opposite mate, perfect for hanging. It's been noted :)

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Grand pictures Shewie!! Im desperate to get up to the lakes again sometime soon for a few nights! Thanks for the inspiration..

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Very nice report.... The snowline picture makes you feel warmer looking into the valley below :)

I take it the tarps cuban fiber, who makes it if you dont mind me asking? I really like the cave shape!

atb, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The shelter is a Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar Al, mine's silnylon but annoyingly they've just started selling a cuben version. The ice on the inside gives it that weird mottled look.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
hiya shewie how big is that tarp in the pick cos for next time i am off to scotland i am thinking i will ground dwell

and yes ladys and gentleman u herd it hear first i am considering ground dwelling drew

It's a pyramid shape with 5 equal panels 7ft long, 50sq ft of space they say, you need hiking poles for this one or bivvi poles could work.

Good review here

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE