Winter Weekend in the Lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
MLD originally said that the trailstar design needed the give of sil-nylon. Interesting they have found a slightly modified design that works in cuben. There are a few on the OM forum with it on order. IIRC the edges between the pegging points have a curve to them which the sil-nylon doesn't.

Nice photos

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
MLD originally said that the trailstar design needed the give of sil-nylon. Interesting they have found a slightly modified design that works in cuben. There are a few on the OM forum with it on order. IIRC the edges between the pegging points have a curve to them which the sil-nylon doesn't.

Nice photos

If I hadn't waited 13 weeks for mine to arrive last year I might have thought about treating myself, for the sake of 200g I'm not that bothered, yet :) For the space, strength, weight and versatility I'm happy to carry 480g

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Great pictures Rich. How were the temps sleeping? I noticed you using window insulating film for a ground sheet. Do you peg yours down? I use little plastic BBs in the corners that are looped around with some cord to create pegging points.

I've got my eye on one of those MLD Trailstars. It's a shame that they take up so much pitch space, but then the weather performance seems that simplicity dictates. I've got a couple of mates going out to the US to which I'm hoping to get MLD to package to, to save on shipping and customs. Which Ron reckons he can do. So hopefully none of this 13 week production/customs black hole.

Have you ever tried to use a corner as an entrance rather than a mid loop? I was thinking that you could possibly use 3 poles to create a really nice open structure with good admin.

Cheers

Jon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Trailstar is great Jon, you only need somewhere to lie down and you can pitch the rest over any obstructions like bracken/heather/rock etc.

I do peg my ground sheet down, I folded a piece of gaffa tape over the corner and then poked a hot peg through it, seems to work okay so far.

Not tried a corner pitch yet, I did have to move the door round last weekend though when the wind switched direction, that was dead easy and must have only taken a minute or so. When I first got it I tried a really high pitch using one of those Wilkos clothesline props, even a five feet off the ground with some longer guy line it still pitched perfectly, it's a clever bit of kit.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
5ft, wow. Almost a parachute.

Yeah it does seem one of the best tarp tents out there from what I've researched. I was also thinking it would be reasonably simple to use a standard bug net underneath it for summer months, tied to the centre pole, then tied to the pitching pegs at the edges.

What condensation issues have you experienced with it?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
There is condensation on still nights, it's no worse than a 2 skin tent though, you just get to see it close up instead of it being hidden :)

Last weekend it was cold enough for the condensation to freeze so I never noticed it

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Glad to see you got out, looks like a cracking time. I should be out myself over the weekend round that area and spending a night on the fells.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE