Winter tarp setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
So im heading out in a few weeks to cold weather camp and im wondering what setup would be good for the tarp? What do you prefer when bivvying?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I use a strong rope between 2 trees and drape the tarp over the rope. The rope will take the strain if the tarp gets covered in heavy snow.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I generally do the same as Imagedude: dig down to the ground, or at least to get good walls, add a tarp as a roof, have te entrance in one end. Fairly Steep pitch on the roof, for the obvious reasons. For just a sleepingbag or two the UK military basha is about right, a bigger one will give you space for a fire as well. If I use a stove I'll often put my pack "above my head", so that I can eat breakfast "Colin Fletcher style", sitting in my sleepingbag with the pack as a backrest.

Handy tip: make sure that no snow can fall into your boots while you sleep. DAMHIKT

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
When I camp out over cold weather using a tarp, bring the sides right down to the floor pile uop/ fill in any gaps at the bottom, leave any leaf litter on the floor, cover the floor with some ground sheet to try to stop the damp from the ground rising,

Pull the ends in on the Tarp and boritto it, so its enclosed, I have even run a petrol/tilly lamp in inside in relay cold and damp weather to try to dry things out, but only do this if you can get GOOD VENTILATION....!!!!!! _ could use a UCO type lantern as well

Keep things as dry as possible as well, To try to help keep you sack dry warm, I have even taken a hot water bottle, and re heated the old water for a couple of nights... leave your boots at the door way

Last thing at night boil some water, warm up a flask, then put some coffee in it... the you got a warm drink as soon as you wake up..... then just keep it full trough out the day, always good to have a hot drink to hand... remember try to keep your mood up beat... it helps to do things and do them first time.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I just use the tarp are normal, steep sides to shed, if your not in your sleeping bag then your in your warm kit, keep it simple and you can still have a fire for warmth when washing or to dry stuff. If its open to a breeze the drop it into a leentoo to block the wind out,

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
I really do like how versatile the tarp is. I was thinking of pegging two corners down then at the other two corners pegging them down in the night, but also have two sticks so i can prop it up in the morning and have a little awning. Sound feasible? Just got myself an arctic sleeping bag and wool blanket to so i should be toasty with all my other gear. One of these days I'll learn how to make a long fire!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
That's the way I do it when it just towards the end of the daylight, I pull it all in so at least I am all tucked in so to say, during the warmer days/nights I am open all the time all the way round, if I have a spare Tarp I keep it folded in and use the other one as an Admin area,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE