Winter shoes? (low cut)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Hello all!

Since it's nice and snowy around here for the moment and I'm off to Norway next month, I'm looking for a decent pair of suitable shoes...

I've already happily got Lowa Combat boots but I need some shoes for simple forest trips, urban (wet) snow walking and driving a car with sensitive pedals properly (doesn't work so well with the combats imo). So they should be waterproof with good low temperature grip soles, a low cut and enough feeling for the car.

Anyone who's got some ideas?
One pair that appears to be made for it is the (new) Lowa Kiron GTX Lo, anyone with comments on the model or its sole (Lowa G3) ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mart

Forager
Apr 6, 2008
cumbria
Merrel and Lowe Alpine, (as do loads of others) sell mid hight gortex trainer thingys.
I've had shoes from both and they were equally good. get a larger size for big socks.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have a pair of TNF mid hight trail boots, lined with gore-tex.
They're great in the snow, and are still flexible enough to drive easily in.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks for the replies! :)

So, there's no one using "special" winter shoes, as in low-temp-high-grip soles (like winter tires) or something like that? Overkill?

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
So, there's no one using "special" winter shoes, as in low-temp-high-grip soles (like winter tires) or something like that?

Yes there are!

Sorry I missed you post, but I try to reply now.

I'm not sure which part of Norway you will be visiting, but here in Finland I change to my winter shoes as soon as it gets icey. They have soft rubber soles which are much "grippier" on ice (just the same as the winter tyre soft compound rubber you mentioned). Shoes with a hard sole are akin to a pair of skates in comparison.

I've always used a Finnish brand called Umberto, but there must be something similar available in Norway. As I've never seen similar specific "winter shoes" for sale in the UK, my advice would be to simply buy a pair when you arrive in Norway. Just ask in the first shoe shop and you will find something you need.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
Thanks Susi!
If I don't find anything suitable in Belgium by then, I'll have a look in Norway. I'll only be about 100km north of Kristiansand, but am hoping there'll be plenty of ice there as well by the end of January :) Couldn't find any information about Finnish Umberto shoes, is it a very small local brand or am I missing something? I'm addicted to researching whatever I buy you see ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE