Winter is coming.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Someone I know lives in Seahouses, Northumberland. When storm whatsherface kicked off they lost mains power for 24hrs. Some light flooding, trees came down on houses (including the local pub! ) and folks caravans up by the castle were smashed to pieces.....

He was without power for 24hrs. Working from home as an accountant, he couldn't do owt.

He wast overly concerned though. He knows his chest freezer stays frozen without power for about 2 days, and he has a load of dry stored food in the cupboards.

Makes me think, he didn't get a flap on because he knew some basic stuff. He isn't of a mind like most folks in this forum but he wasn't worried. Can't drive his car though, theres a tree across his driveway......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I really like what this guy is doing with the thermoelectric plates used for stove fans. Paraffin lamp for a bit of heat, and some electricity produced for gentle lighting, it’s genius and they’re very lovely things. He posted these on BudgetLightForums and there’s a Kickstarter project for the buying of. Total steampunk. :)

THEY are really quite lovely in a Steampunkish archaic kind of way.

( Where did I put my credit card. )

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Got 3 rolls of 200mm thick top up insulation to lay over the boards above the bedrooms end of the house. Does that count as getting ready for winter?

Together with the under the boards insulation and the insulation in the lined roof I think we're well above the recommended roof insulation level. Next step triple glazed windows and cavity wall insulation. Need to earn the money for those first.

There's no better winter prep than insulating your house. Might not be at sexy as winter tyres, sleeping bags/blankets in the car or generator backup power at home but good for your house bills and the planet.

Having said that I eventually found out when putting the insulation up there where my winter thermal layers went. A vacuum bag or three in the loft. So extra winter prep for free.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
On the point of insulation: when the Beast from the East struck, my parents lost their hot water because the pipes and header tank froze up in their loft. The pipe insulation was patchy - the straight sections were insulated but the corners weren't. The tank was totally uninsulated because it hadn't been replaced after maintenance at some point.

By contrast my place was fine. I'd laid all my water pipes along the rafters so they sat between layers of loft insulation and the tank was fully insulated. The only uninsulated pipe was the one feeding the tank but that didn't freeze and was a quick job to rectify. Also worth noting that copper pipes freeze more easily than plastic ones but it's more tricky to apply heat to plastic pipes.

Not really an annual thing but worth a glance over if a particularly cold spell is due.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, TeeDee...how do I express this without angering the Mods with my slightly robust language?

The Central heating doesnt work because its;

a) Got lots wrong with it and engineer cant source parts
b) Its decades old. (see a)...)
c) Engineer tells us its down to less than 50% efficiency.
d) Im not sure Dad can afford the gas bill these days. (But this is just a theory).
e) Dad cant be bothered to;
i) clear the house sufficient to allow engineer at boiler
ii) fill in forms to get grants for the over 80s for better heating
iii) we are not going to talk about DOUBLE GLAZING because thats a separate issue.

Im pretty sure there are other matters but that is the Abstract.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ah, TeeDee...how do I express this without angering the Mods with my slightly robust language?

The Central heating doesnt work because its;

a) Got lots wrong with it and engineer cant source parts
b) Its decades old. (see a)...)
c) Engineer tells us its down to less than 50% efficiency.
d) Im not sure Dad can afford the gas bill these days. (But this is just a theory).
e) Dad cant be bothered to;
i) clear the house sufficient to allow engineer at boiler
ii) fill in forms to get grants for the over 80s for better heating
iii) we are not going to talk about DOUBLE GLAZING because thats a separate issue.

Im pretty sure there are other matters but that is the Abstract.

Thanks Tengu

I wish I could help more but I've found mostly in my time tackling bigger problems are mostly a mental game first rather than a physical reality..

Small Actions defeats Large scale procrastination

I would have thought there would be assistance available via grant schemes and council assistance for the elderly? It would just require someone with a bunch of spare time on their hands and some motivation to explore the options - or at least verify that they don't exist.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah.

Its not Dads house you see, hence the issues with Boiler and double glazing and insulation.

The house belongs to his wife.

(We havent seen her in over a decade on account of her being dead...)

Also, possibly also pertinent, any major works would entail a lot of clearing out, and though Dad constantly is grieved by his junk...he wont do anything about it.

If anyone knows how to deal with these problems Id love to know.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ah.

Its not Dads house you see, hence the issues with Boiler and double glazing and insulation.

The house belongs to his wife.

(We havent seen her in over a decade on account of her being dead...)

Also, possibly also pertinent, any major works would entail a lot of clearing out, and though Dad constantly is grieved by his junk...he wont do anything about it.

If anyone knows how to deal with these problems Id love to know.

Surely if it you Dads deceased wife's house it is NOW your Dads house via him being her Husband and she has passed on.

I believe this is the normal way of things.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
He is in denial.

Over a lot of things.

Those of you who have met him will agree he is a truly wonderful person but sometimes...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
He is in denial.

Over a lot of things.

Those of you who have met him will agree he is a truly wonderful person but sometimes...

Without being the portent prophet of doom you may want to seek some professional CAB related Legal advice regarding possible future outcomes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have to be prepared for every eventuality to -40C. Including winter night time power failures which used to happen about once a week. So all camping food prep kit never gets fully put away.
Just stuff to do. Make certain that the GMC Suburban is ready to fly. Synthetic turbine oil, block heater functioning, door seals all wiped with fresh antifreeze. Fresh gas filled tank (40 gallons). Solenoid 4x4 shifter still make s a reliable 'thump'!

House furnace oil tank needs loading, probably no more than 600 liters. Drip tap works (to allow very slow and constant water flow) to lessen the stagnation which will freeze my pipes. It's an add on thingie inside one of the toilet tanks.
All additional electric heaters (1kW/1.5kW) are working. Can sink to 12C downstairs.

We've been really most fortunate with daytime highs hanging -2C up to +5C for many weeks of what should have been knee-deep snow. Green grass and rain, instead. What a relief to sling on an old coat and step out. The serious winter wear is still piled up in the back of the front hall closet.

Snow was a novelty over the years that I lived in OZ. Fun to play in for a day but best left up top where it belongs.

EARLY WINTER.jpg

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's here! Meteorological winter that is. Happy first day of winter!

Its been mild mostly down here.

Some of the Plants I've put in the garden are so confused they are flowering..

Can all change fast however. Hard Cold snap can jump on the country like HR on an inappropriate work based meme..

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Of all that bullshirt that I wrote, the one thing of value is to soak a paper towel in antifreeze (ethylene glycol, etc.) and paint all the door seals so they can't freeze shut. Crawling all the way in from the fekking tailgate is not funny for old fartz like me.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Ethylene glycol is fairly toxic, on some of my cars I have preferred propylene glycol that is not, as antifreeze they are about equal. If your heater matrix leaks a bit one gets to breath also the antifreeze which is not a good idea so the less harmful one is better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE