Winter hammock setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
So last December I had a night out in the hammock in -6, and I was cold for the majority of it- nothing life threatening just got the chills every few minutes and consequently struggled to sleep, not that I was surprised by the result. I had my usual set up, a snugpak elite 4 that has lost a little loft, a big puffer jacket, Ray mears beanie, wool socks and long John's and a dd under blanket, an additional foam sit mat under my calves and feet.

So for this winter I was thinking of upping my insulation game to let me get out more. I have a snugpak summer bag that I can combine with the elite 4 as it has the expansion panel, but I think most of my heat was lost from underneath.

Do you think I can just get an additional dd underblanket and redistribute the two to allow more of a full body coverage? Or do I get one of the cheap full length amazon underquilts and use my dd underquilt to concentrate on insulating my core? Any other ideas welcome!

Cheers

Reactions: DaftHaggis

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
The DD under blanket is rated down to -5 so perhaps you were at the limit of what it could handle. My initial suggestion was going to be a lower rated under blanket but you can also attack this issue with better clothing. I have a Buffalo S6 shirt and wearing it to sleep I have been -5C under what the rest of my setup was spec'd for without issue.

I believe that clothing is the one area which most people neglect when buying gear, probably half my total spend on camping kit has been clothing. Clothing is more versatile, you use it all the time as opposed to buying something "just to sleep in," and you can use it whenever it's cold outside, not just for camping.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Re clothing, definitely something I could have done better. After getting my first dry suit for kayaking this summer, I've got a better understanding of clothing material and also how even slightly damp/sweaty clothing can have a big affect. I'll deffo be using some better layers this time, I think I was wearing a cotton t shirt in the hammock! Not good!

I like the idea of modding the snugpak jungle blanket and combing with the dd underquilt. I can see that working really well.

I'll try the extra underblanket and if that doesn't work, the cocoon it is!

That onetigris tent looks insane. A bit OTT for me though haha. Although I imagine it is super plush to use

Reactions: Nice65

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
When I bought my Hennessy I bought the bubble mat too, the last time I was out in sub zero I combined that with my DD under quilt and Army Arctic bag and was toasty warm, down side was there was a lot of condensation, so I may have struggled on a second night with a damp bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
When I bought my Hennessy I bought the bubble mat too, the last time I was out in sub zero I combined that with my DD under quilt and Army Arctic bag and was toasty warm, down side was there was a lot of condensation, so I may have struggled on a second night with a damp bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 quid and 280 grams are good numbers... deffo going on the possible list

Great egret

Apr 17, 2017
Netherlands
So last December I had a night out in the hammock in -6, and I was cold for the majority of it- nothing life threatening just got the chills every few minutes and consequently struggled to sleep, not that I was surprised by the result. I had my usual set up, a snugpak elite 4 that has lost a little loft, a big puffer jacket, Ray mears beanie, wool socks and long John's and a dd under blanket, an additional foam sit mat under my calves and feet.

So for this winter I was thinking of upping my insulation game to let me get out more. I have a snugpak summer bag that I can combine with the elite 4 as it has the expansion panel, but I think most of my heat was lost from underneath.

Do you think I can just get an additional dd underblanket and redistribute the two to allow more of a full body coverage? Or do I get one of the cheap full length amazon underquilts and use my dd underquilt to concentrate on insulating my core? Any other ideas welcome!

Cheers
I would buy an underquilt that is rated for cold wheather. -5 is probably not a comfort zone for the DD but more of a limit. Adding another DD blanket will probably not work because it won't fit great if you attach 2 underblankets and they will still not be comfortable at -5.
You should be able to sleep warm with merino long johns and a long sleeve-shirt when your setup is right. I have one addition to this, wear merino gloves when it is cold.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's pricy and maybe beyond the scope of this thread but I really like my easy Hammock Winter Hiker. I special ordered extra insulation in it so it will comfortably go colder than the -5 deg stated. It's all built in and I just take a down blanket for the top of me, never had a problem.
it' bulky but that's to be expected but it goes up really easy, works a treat and I'm a big guy so very pleased.

Macca.UK

Aug 4, 2020
Barnsley
The winter hiker is good, my daughter (13) tends to use mine and it got to -5 once or twice earlier this year and she was still nice and warm.

I've got a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with a -18c Wookie underquilt and a -7c Diamond Back topquilt.
The coldest I've been out in it is around -5/6 and I get too warm to have the topquilt up over my body. I've found just sleeping in my boxers and a long sleeved baselayer top is best for these kind of temps. The long sleeves allow me to have my chest and arms out of the topquilt and not get robbed of heat by any breeze that manages to make its way into the hammock.

I'm summer, I use the same setup but just tend to have my feet and lower legs in the topquilt (just sleeping in boxers and t-shirt).

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Great thread - thanks to the OP for starting it.
I have an underblanket but don't get on with it - it keeps sagging. I like the idea of a cocoon for colder weather but have no experience of one and don't know anyone with one.
Please can cocoon users share some insights into how to use it effectively, what to use with it, etc?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE