Winter gloves not mitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our son has two Hestra gloves/mitts. One cheap and one expensive. Performance of both was good enough for a ski trip to Sweden after Xmas 2019 into the new year 2020. Quite a few below zero then. Very good brand.

marcoruhland

Life Member
Apr 23, 2020
Germany
i use many different types of gloves but for outdoor/buscraft in winter condition my first choice up to -15°c is the hestra falt-guide five finger leather glove good for handling with knife or axe and with 100% wool inliner but this is not a work or protected glove with din en 388 and it is also not 100% waterproof (for this and up to -20°c i use additional the british army dmp goretex mittens as third layer)

but gloves are only for isolation and if there is not a fire than i use a (giant) peacock pocket warmer for extra external energy

mr

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I find that Hestra gloves are about the only ones that'll fit my hands. I've tried numerous other makes and have found that the thumb is not long enough, making the web bit between thumb and fingers very restrictive.

I've got a pair of the Falt gloves, which are wonderful for the vast majority of things but I would recommend buying another pair of the wool liners as the loft compresses after a while, making them less snug. I also have a pair of their lobster-claw gloves, where your thumb and index finger are separated and the other digits are in together; it's a sort of hybrid glove-mitten thing which really does work very well.

If it's bitingly cold, I've found that a pair of Woolpower Wrist Gaiters underneath are superb. Because they don't have fingers, they don't snarl up the dexterity of the glove but they do keep your tips warm and functioning.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've never taken the plunge with one. Which ones have you tried? Any recommendations?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Some army issue wool ones similar to the arctic socks (think I got them from surplus and outdoors) but I also had some mekalon wristlets by BCB that were just ok and kept the chill from going up the sleeve and into the gloves

Last edited:

Ascobis

Forager
Nov 3, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Well it’s that time of year again. I need gloves not mitts for dexterity. I’ve posted similar before but already at the beginning of winter only, my hands are in a bad way.

In the past I’ve tried all the named brands expect for a very expensive rab arctic style which are a bit tot for hills and city cold. I always go back to my dachstein gloves or my wool and thinsulate mix. Tried montane super prisms last week and they were still cold for me at least, fingers were numb.

Just shows wool and cheaper gloves can still beat all the professional outdoor clothing. What’s you go to glove to immediately warm up your hands?
Silly question, but are you very sure your handwear fits properly?
I like glove-mitts with a liner. However, if the liner is too thick it blocks circulation.

Dachstein, yes, I love mine with Aleut-made (hand-me-down) leather cover mitts. Mitts and dexterity don't play well together, as you note.

Dexterity and anything that covers the hand will not go together, ever. What to do? I would take the Sealskinz advice, if I could afford them. For now, I use silk liner gloves. They wear out quickly, but are amazingly warm during the moments that they are the only layer. (A couple of nights ago, -10 C, they were fine.)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Watch the Inuit people. They use big leather mittens with long wind guards. Inside are fleece-lined gloves. Good system for outdoor travel. The gloves are for details.

I wear fleece-lined leather Watsons for everyday outside. For any length of time, Tolko snowmobile gloves have amazing manual dexterity. They are not motorcycle gloves. Just slightly better at -20C.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
First thing is to establish what exactly you will be doing.

Different hand wear for different situations.

The world's best mountain gloves won't work if you are sat around.... They are designed for active use.

There is no wonder glove

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As winter gloves go my best pair is BW winter fighting gloves. Happened to get an unused pair, it took some while to wear them in but after that utility/price is great.

But I agree with whoever said that that a combination of crabclaw mittens and fitting gloves is probably the best combination.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Using a pair of gloves from extremities and over these Buffalo mitts. All sized right with a bit of room to breath and so far so good. Especially over the last chilly weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE