Winter gloves not mitts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Well it’s that time of year again. I need gloves not mitts for dexterity. I’ve posted similar before but already at the beginning of winter only, my hands are in a bad way.

In the past I’ve tried all the named brands expect for a very expensive rab arctic style which are a bit tot for hills and city cold. I always go back to my dachstein gloves or my wool and thinsulate mix. Tried montane super prisms last week and they were still cold for me at least, fingers were numb.

Just shows wool and cheaper gloves can still beat all the professional outdoor clothing. What’s you go to glove to immediately warm up your hands?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
At my age the circulation in my fingers is not quite what it used to be. My warmest gloves are some old Hestra downhill ones but even they are not much good below -15C so I have opted for liner gloves and over mittens.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought some sealskinz merino liner gloves, but it hasn’t been cold enough to need them under my gloves yet, I also have some Mountain Warehouse magic gloves that will do the same thing.
I have the all weather, which is what I bought the liners for, but also some cold weather cycling ones, which I tend to wear all the time as it’s easier to take and put on single gloves when walking the dog and needing to pick up mess/clip back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Tried the sealskinz merino liner gloves and merino and possum but even these don’t warm my fingers enough. The only addition the above ones I use are buffalo mitts but as mentioned any of the mitts don’t give the dexterity i need

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've had expensive black diamond mountaineering gloves. Got them dirt cheap for what they were at the time. However they still cost £65 over 15 years ago. Great at first but really not good enough. In the 2010 cold spell I had too many bad experiences with them so got myself a pair of extremities inferno or super inferno mitts. £29.99 and primaloft filled. Year later they'd gone generic infill and added a tenner to cost.

A day after getting them I started a walk with my gloves but since my hands got very cold being ready, boot lace time tying, etc, I decided to give the mitts a try. My hands had been cold and getting colder. After 10 minutes I thought I'd have to go back and end my walk. Not liking the look of mitts I never put them on. I did that day to try and keep me on the walk. It was a revelation. 15 minutes later my near frost nip fingers were feeling hot in a good way. Now they're my go to hand wear in cold weather and when skiing. Big enough for liners and surprisingly dexterous considering they're mitts. Seriously, if you suffer from cold hands extremities inferno or super inferno mitts are worth trying. £40 for your hands on a cold day is worth it IMHO.

Btw my partner bought me dachstein mitts. What are the gloves like? Are they as warm?

One company to look at, black yak. They are an ethical wool product supplier using their contacts in Nepal to source locals who knit for them. These are hand crafted and not exactly a uniform size. When ordering there's a place to comment on your unique sizing needs. They then check their stocks to try and match. For example big head they'll get an oversized hat for you. There's large and then there's hand crafted large.

I bought my partner gloves and a shawl wrap thing. All wool. The gloves are fleece lined and the wool outer is kind of thick and itchy but the fleece isn't. She's found them very warm over this cold spell. The shawl is 100% wool but it's very soft wool and not itchy at all. Feels soft enough for a baby's skin!!

Anyway, I can recommend black yak for anything. Only bought those two things but I would consider anything they make. Fair trade and ethical for sure.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought some US Army cold weather glove. They're nice gloves but only come in that weird green they went with a few years ago.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The dachstein are not as good as their mitts “but” they are the best I’ve found for my very cold hands and fingers.
Will have a look at black yak never heard of them.

Can you still get the extremities inferno or super inferno mitts, will look after this post now. I manage with the buffalo mitts but mitts are not always useful when fingers are needed to be used.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
This is a timely post for me.
I went out yesterday with 3 (!) pairs of gloves on and still got numb fingers.
Pretty cumbersome to take on and off which was a p.i.t.a.
Berghaus windproof fleece outer, no brand acrylic/nylon, then my old Ronhill running gloves as a super-thin liner.

Sealskin gloves are useless!
So are "merkalon" or whatever they're called.

I'm considering possum fur gloves as the hat I've got is the warmest wooly hat I own. I'm not sure the fingerless will be warm enough to keep my fingertips warm under another glove?

I also don't want to chuck a load of money at merino liners if they don't work either.

I'm thinking mittens with liner gloves. Easy to take off/on mittens if too hot.
The army surplus mittens seem v warm but have a trigger finger which looks a bit silly in civvy world. But they're cheap.
I'll check out the suggestions here.
The search continues!
Cheers all.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The army surplus mittens seem v warm but have a trigger finger which looks a bit silly in civvy world.
I have a pair of the British "Arctic over mittens", work quite well except they are very slippery. Also who designed them, they are kind of sand coloured, haven't seen anything like that in the Arctic? But warmthwise ok.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The possum and merino hats are great but I will say the gloves version is as bad as a merkalon for me on their own.

Try a 80 % wool (Not acrylic) and 20% nylon blend, With thinsulate around £15 and if still not warm for you still try an inner like glove inside.

For me it’s the 80/20 and thinsulate mix or a dachstein, nothing else seems to work

Last edited:
Reactions: Brizzlebush

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Yes mainly but driving with them would be useful as well but always had problems with extremely cold fingers and issues with them since my army days

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
This is quite interesting because i don't suffer cold hands too much, so for me static, sealskinz ultragrip work. I have got some extremities ultra winter gloves but haven't really needed them in the UK yet.

I used to use Army issue C95 leather goretex on my bike in cold weather and they were ok.

So it got me thinking, I just had a superb experience with mechanix warranty so I thought id check out the colder glove options, there are a couple but not highly recommend. On my search though I came across these and I think for the price they might actually do what they say. Plus they have EN standards so might be worth a punt.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Used montane super prism on my bike last weekend and my fingers were frozen. Had 95 pattern in the past probably would be the same effect for me at least

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got diagnosed with reynauds about 10 years ago. I don't think that was right but the b symptoms are similar. My issue is middle finger gets very cold when most of my hand doesn't. For me I need loose gloves because if they're even slightly snug or tight my fingers go very cold.

I got bought a thinsulate gloves and hat. The hat is warm and initially the gloves too but after a few years they started feeling tight and cold. I now think gloves are really n only good for milder conditions. Mitts only when it's zero or below zero.

Check out the Terra Nova, wild country and extremities website. All those brands are the same company. They have an online shop and sell things off cheaply. If inferno mitts are no longer made they might still have some on there or at least their replacements.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Hestra are good across their range from liners to heavy duty ski gloves. Have a look at the Falt ones with the wool liners. They might suit. Nice and warm and they breathe well. Cost a arm plus a leg. Maybe you'll only need the one then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE