Winter for me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Its the same round here kath... people queue up to climb rock faces and jump in rivers tied to pieces of string...
In this weather I don't really like those 15mile hikes and I tend to find quiet spots to stay for a few days. In autumn, winter and spring I tend to be a camp 1 night and move sort of person.... get to see some lovely out of the way sceneary :)

Ed

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
Autumn is the best time of the year for me. I go up into Kingleyvale and love to watch the wild life prepare for winter. There is also an abundance wild food ready for the picking. I hate the hot weather as it tends to encourage millions of people out onto the downs and i prefer that less people be about.

jakunen

Native
Kath said:
I find I always get this feeling when autumn arrives like a sense of normality and calm returning, and I look back at summer and think what the heck was all that craziness about?? Weird because that's just the time when the SAD people are starting to get depressed ... :?:

I found the same living in Sandwich in Kent. There was a lot of good walking, with the dunes and a lot of meadowland and rivers and streams...
And up to 20 coaches per day of American tourists in loud shirts, 1920s football shorts, weighed down by up to 7 cameras a piece all with 2ft long ultratelephoto lenses decrying 'Gee, this place is just so quaint!'. And trying to find stuff I'd never heard of in the camping shop I worked in and asking where the guns and bullets were... :rant:
I used to long for September when life returned to normality and peace descended once more.
(No offence is intended to any of our US brethren and sistren on the this site. I just got to HATE hearing that phrase...)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im amazed so many people share my view! For exactly the same reasons, oppressive humidity, crowds of people and the pressure to make the most of it. Roll on september (i dont think i have ever said that!).

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There seems to be a bit of a trend here with us Bushcraft folk. I too love the Autumn and Winter best for being outdoors and camping out. The reasons ? well just like people have already mentioned. Less other folk around and winter has a special calmness and silence. I'm definately not a hot weather person. It makes me feel lethargic and less inclined to want to do anything, but give me some cold weather and even rain, then with the correct clothing for the conditions I'm out there. I particularly like putting up my hootchie in the woods when it's raining, and maybe looking out over the countryside when it's pouring down and having a brew up on my hexi stove. I find it very relaxing. Roll on Autumn !! :super:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
well just chillin' in a hammock reading on a sunny afternoon in the woods is it's own reward. of course you do tend to get a big diamond chequer pattern on your cheeks from the hammock. :shock: :wink: :eek:):

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE