Winter for me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have noticed a trend in my behaviour. I really do most of bushcrafting in winter/autumn, this summer not once have i been out to even light a fire.

I have also noticed I HATE HOT WEATHER the colder the better. (unless i'm in south africa, british hot weather is oppressive as its humid and our buildings are ill-equipt to deal with heat!).

I have started to worry about it though, i'm usually finding every oppertunity to get out into the woods, but now i have almost forgotten to even think about it. Anyone else ever had this? Its different to obssesive bushcraft, more regressive bushcraft (someone should now thik of a cooler word).

Oh well, thought i might just share that.

Jake

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I prefer the Autumn and winter as well. Late September/early October is a great time to go camping, and there's something special about the woods in winter.

And this current hot weather is really doing me in. I haven't had a decent nights sleep since the weekend.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I have been doing various evening courses over the last few years and it means that many of the jobs at home etc. all get left to summer to i spend most of them painting etc. Autumn through to Spring are the best times to be outdoors.

There is more adventure in it and you are more likely to be alone. There are less of those :***: disposable BBQ left lying around and bottles and cans.

Even wild life sightings are better as they are less common.

James

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I know what you mean about those blasted portable bbq's. People that agree with me! No-one who i know actually agree's with me but i really do prefer a grey day in summer, as long as its not raining.

Womble, i know exactly how you feel. I am in a loft space with two velux windows, in summer it gets scary hot and in winter i once woke up to ice in my room. I have found a method that works for keeping the room cool. towels on the outside of the window so that no sun can get within the room, and then with the windows wide open on both sides the wind comes through blow the paperwork everywhere but keeps it nice and cool.

Camping in summer only leads to oppressive heat inside the tent.

Cheers,

Jake

J

Jamie

for me the absolute best days we get are when its very cold and the sky is a clear blue.....makes me feel glad to be alive!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I don´t know how your winter is but here it is very dark but in the summer it´s long into the night. Nothing beats sleeping out in the summer, no need for sleeping bags, tents and other stuff, just lay yourself on the ground and sleep. But on the other hand winter is good when it comes a lot of snow...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I love dry heat its comfortable, but the heat in the uk is a little oppressive
still we have it good when i was living in mauritus it was 30 degrees and 90% humidity

we are just not aclimitised to the heat and when we get a hot spell it does not usually last long enought for us to aclimitise

jakunen

Native
Have to agree Stuart.
Wasn't too bothered in the Sahara although it was pretty hot on my camel. Mind you the nights were perishing! Especially as at the oasis they had a choice of Twinings Earl Grey or Breakfast and no mint tea! Was not amused... :rant:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

Summer, autumn and spring for me! :wink: I don't hate snow and cold, but you have to wear so much clothes. And i'm the handy type which loves small work and I can't do that with big, insulating gloves... :) There's leafs on the trees and I don't need to carry that much gear in summer, to keep warm. :biggthump

Cheers :uu:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Give me the cold weatrher ... I run a bit hot so much prefer the cold. Also, far fewer folks about!!!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Quieter and refreshing, colder weather is much nicer. It is very humid in Cardiff today, not comfortable at all. Dry heat is very managable, like in south africa and other hot climates.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
If you like cold summers maybe this is something for you, this photo is taken in july in Sylarna in Sweden.

sylarna.jpg

D

Doobs

Nearly froze to death one spring! So i bought a sleeping bag that would keep a nudist warm in winter! :naughty:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Me to! I adore winter, I feel much more invigorated by it.
Summertime I'm just as active, but exploring the coastline and fishing instead.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Jamie said:
for me the absolute best days we get are when its very cold and the sky is a clear blue.....makes me feel glad to be alive!
Cannot argue with that,a nice crisp winters day/morning with a bright blue sky really does take some beating in my opinion. :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
To be honest, I think our climate is just about perfect.

I was on hols in Thailand a couple of years ago, there is no way on this earth I could've worked there. The humidity was increadible. The temp was hitting 38+ most days and the air was saturated with water. You could see steam rising from the jungle out of the window of my room. Water would condense on all sorts of surfaces you wouldn't expect to see it on. Any kind of exertion (even eating a meal) would leave you soaked with sweat. It was utterly sapping. Fortunately, I was there to do nothing, so all was fine, I was kind of glad to get out of it though.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Anyone ever get seasonal affective disorder (SAD)???

I'm sure I get it in the summer! There's just so much pressure to go out and not waste the good weather. When you do get out there's so many people everywhere (well here at least. I got stuck in a *traffic jam* in Snowdonia the other day, miles away from anywhere, up a really rough track with grass growing down the middle and potholes that wouldn't have been out of place on the moon! And then I had to wait ages to find a spot to park before I could go for a hike! :roll:)

I find I always get this feeling when autumn arrives like a sense of normality and calm returning, and I look back at summer and think what the heck was all that craziness about?? Weird because that's just the time when the SAD people are starting to get depressed ... :?:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE