Winter food plants

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi all, i decided to go for a wander round my local haunt with the intention of looking out for foragable edibles at this time of year. We all know that at this time of year it can be slim pickings, but with keen eye there are bit and pieces to be had. Anyway here are a few picks.

DSCI0008%20%28Small%29.JPG

First find a few small leaves of Common sorrel(Rumex acetosa).

DSCI0009%20%28Small%29.JPG

Then the all familiar Rosehips(Rosa canina),

DSCI0010%20%28Small%29.JPG

Next was Ribwort Plantain(Plantago lanceolata)

DSCI0011%20%28Small%29.JPG

DSCI0012%20%28Small%29.JPG

Then i found these Jews ear(Auricularia auricularia-judae)

DSCI0018%20%28Small%29.JPG

Now this i can't make up my mind as to whether this is Chives(Allium schoenoprasum) as i have never seen them flower,or whether its Crow Garlic(Allium vineale) as a common form of this plant has no flowers :dunno:

DSCI0020%20%28Small%29.JPG

Here we have a personal favorite Ramsons(Allium ursinum) just popping out of the ground,it was good to see an old friend again.

DSCI0022%20%28Small%29.JPG

And this i was quite surprised to see(sorry about the photo but it was dark when i found it and i had to use the flash) Wood Sorrel(Oxalis acetosella)

I also found small plants of nettles and cleavers.

A great day out trying to spot potential food sources,plus i got a little fire going using the bowdrill to make a
cuppa%20%28Small%29.JPG

As it was getting dark when i was making my way home you can imagine my surprise when i managed to suddenly find wild leeks,turnips and brussel sprouts :eek: then i realised i was walking through the allotments at the back of our house :D

bushtank

Nomad
Jan 9, 2007
king lynn
good pics stuart i had loads of oyster mushrooms last week cooked in front of a fire they tasted lovley the jews ears are best in a soup not much taste but good texture :beerchug:

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Excellent pics there Stuart. Its amazing what you see under your feet when you go for a wander this time of year. I never expected that you could see wood sorrell at this time of year. Goes to show you what is out there.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Thrym, you can also use jews ear in stir fries as it is similar to chinese cloud ears,but it does tend to spit a bit in hot oil though. Also you can dry it for storage,it will shrink down to half its size. When you want to use it just simply soak in water and it will swell back up to its original size,chop it up and throw it into your stir fry, and bobs yer uncle.

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
cool its probably the fungus i see the most where i live its everywhere ive always wondered if there was a use for it thanks cant wait to try some :)
Josh

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Excellent post stuart.
Jews ear I think is best dried then broken up into little bits and then added to soup. I have tried eating raw, it is diffinatly an experieance, just not a very good one. Dont fry it whole it bubbles up and explodes.
This time of year is abit odd for foraging. Most of the goodies are various roots where the leaves have died back. So unless you clocked a plant in the summer you aren't going to know it is there. Silverweed (potentilla) and bullrushes are still visable and have tasty roots. Japanese :AR15firin knotweed has edible shoots they taste like rubarb, they should start coming up soon. The roots are edible but difficult to harvest without spreading the :censored:. NB: japanese :AR15firin Knotweed is spread by fragments of root being transferred by being stuck in the tread of tyres and shoes. The soil it grows in is treated as contaminated waste and so is fragments of the plant.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
After reading about Winter Greens in the latest Bushcraft magazine, I was wandering across a grassed area to the cookhouse and, looking down, I saw: Salad Burnet and Ribwort Plantain! I have to say, I'd never even noticed those before.

So, the proof is there that it's all out there - you just need a nudge to show you what to look for! :)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi, i was just thinking about how things are changing with the weather and all,what with finding the Wood Sorrel,also our herb garden has got Mint,Parsley and Rosemary growing in it. 8 to 9 years ago this was never heard of, especially the Mint and Parsley as they always died back with the frosts end of Oct./Nov.

:Thinkingo Makes you wonder whats happening to our planet :(

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Good post! I have yet to try many wild foods. I definitely have to try Jews Ear raw, just so I have.

Did you get the bowdrill to work with materials found on site, contemporarily?

B

bushyboo

Great thread im always looking for thing to eat when im out and about
i just have a slight problem identifying things especialy fungus

Xylaria how do you go about eating bullrush roots do you have to cook
them or can they be eaten raw ?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
bushyboo said:
Great thread im always looking for thing to eat when im out and about
i just have a slight problem identifying things especialy fungus

Xylaria how do you go about eating bullrush roots do you have to cook
them or can they be eaten raw ?

Hi Bushyboo,when you say Bullrush do you mean Cattail(Typha latifolia),if so then i have tried them.Typha roots can be gathered and simply thrown into the embers of a fire,when they turn black they are cooked, then you break them open and inside there are fibres that are white and coated in starch you simply suck the starch off from the fibre which you discard.

Hope this of help.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a kind of surprisingly rich Winter so far :cool:
I've even got green buds on the hawthorns. Green thistles and fresh dandelions as well as bittercress and watercress.
The other noticeable thing is that there are still lots of fallen nuts available. Masses of acorns that are still fit for gathering and roasting for coffee or soaking/grinding for flour. A lot of rose haws, that haven't gone mushy either, still around too.

Cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
stuart f said:
Hi Bushyboo,when you say Bullrush do you mean Cattail(Typha latifolia),if so then i have tried them.Typha roots can be gathered and simply thrown into the embers of a fire,when they turn black they are cooked, then you break them open and inside there are fibres that are white and coated in starch you simply suck the starch off from the fibre which you discard.

Hope this of help.

Thank you for answering, I couldn't get this website to work yesterday. I have eaten them boiled to same effect the roots are quite stringy. I thought I hadn't cooked them properly, but they must just be like that. It was like eating cordage dipped in sweet potatoe. I don't know how stringy or sweet they are in winter. So do need to try before I can vouch for how good it is. In early summer the pale innerards at the base of the plant are really quite sweet and nice grilled on stick like a marshmallow sweet.

The whole of the genus Typha is edible both raw and cooked. All parts of the plant are edible in some way at certain parts of the year. They do absorb industrial pollution and great thought needs to be taken when decideing if to harvest from a certain site.

Has anybody tried plantain roots?, cause if not I give them a go as well.

paulcd

Tenderfoot
My mate from a certain regiment spent 2 weeks starving on rabbits in the Orkneys, and said that they boiled up the whole plant to mush...I assumed Greater but could have been Ribwort..have yet to try this.
This whole thread gets me thinking about global warming...I found plenty of juicy, edible cleavers, chickweed and fresh hogweed last week. These have always been available, but I have never seen so much.
On Jap, hogweed, Martin Crawford of the Agroforestry Trust has an interesting take on this, in that it only covers a few hundred acres in total and is not really an invasive weed. With global w, we are going to have to think about introducing more plants and trees to the UK...obviously, we need to deter invasive species that might affect our valuable ecosystems, whilst encouraging useful plants that enjoy our changing climate.

PS does anybody know how I can change my user name?

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
its amazing what can be found at this time of the year but it worries me how our climate is changing :(

p.s nice lid on your cup lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE