Winter 'crafting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
As i went outside for a smoke at work tonight (on waking nights at the moment) i noticed a distinct nip in the air, this has made me think of my winter activities.
having last year broken my winter duck and camped out every month since October 09 at least one night my goal for this winter is to do the same but without a tent, i intend to use a tarp and the benefits of a long fire and good sleeping bag.
all well and good so far but what to do when its not time to sleep i find myself wondering. If it is snowing(fingers crossed) i hope to be able to do a bit of snow melting to produce my water but wondered what else i could get upto in the colder season
any suggestions?

ps if this is the wrong place to have put this could a mod please put it somewhere more suitable?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do you need to burn all that wood just on a folly? In the UK temps don't warrant a long fire, something like an army arctic sleeping bag and bivvy bag is all you need, why squander all that wood just for fun; your in the UK not some wood rich country like Canada.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
MoT,

Go ahead and have your long fire, add some reflective material to your shelter and build a reflector for additional warmth. If snowing why not try and build a shelter from that resource.

Good luck in your endevours. :)

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i cant offer any advice on what to trial for winter tarping, but i am very interested in how you do,...

i think when its cold moral is an issue, i,d be interested to follow a thread that covered how the mind set differs in this situation,,,

maybe do some animal track I.D in the snow?

a friend wants us to hit the woods when it gets really cold he says,...to test his mettle,..but i think he's underestimating things a little

TBH i think the likelyhood of and decent snowfall coinciding with a suitable weekend in my area is pretty slim...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have never felt the need to have a longfire in Britain - I have stayed pleanty warm just in a -10 sleeping bag even just under a tarp...but then I sleep warm.
If it snows enough try a qinze or snowhole - that will take a while and keep you warm in the making of em!
Tracking is an option as is trying to make various gadgets to increase the warmth of a bivvi - windbreaks, insulated ground pads etc from veg.... plus all the usual activities :)
Lots to do in winter!

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
The reality of camping out in deep midwinter is not as bad as the idea of it. of course it gets dark at 4-30pm and the evenings are long, but I find in these circumstances I'm ready for bed by 8pm.

I find a fire is important through the dark evening hours - for cooking, warmth and comfort. Once in bed though I'm able to stay warm without one.

Pay attention to your ground mat, go for the most insulation you can manage as that counts as much as what is on top. Sleep in your clothes and make sure you have a scarf covering your neck and a good wool hat covering your head and ears. On top, a good sleeping bag. I prefer to leave mine unzipped and use as a blanket with the footbox keeping my feet warm.

It also helps to have that portable hot water bottle otherwise known as a dog.

When it is cold I find wind is the real enemy so if it is blowing you should try to set up some kind of wind break.

I've been out at temperatures down to -6 in woodland under a tarp and been OK like this.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Sleep in your clothes

I was instructed not to sleep fully clothed initially, but to get down to the base layer on top and (don't laugh) sleep with your trousers down. If you get too hot with all your layers on you'll sweat and get colder.
If you do feel the cold then you can add a layer to adjust and, maybe, pull your trousers up rather than having to get out of your bag and put them back on.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
Camping out in the winter is great. I dont use a long fire, I just arrange my tarp and bed to get the benefit from the fire. Either I take a stool with me or constrcut on on camp and spend the evening whittling, making cordage, or other crafty things by the fire. Checking the snares and traps is another regular activity.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I intend winter camping too. I will migrate back out of the trees and onto the ground for that though and be using my new Exped downmat as underneath insulation is critical. As my local patch is an old Golf course I have some nice sand bunkers to pitch up in that will give good Tarp setup and allow fire without scarring ground too. Nice and soft for comfort as added bonus...

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I intend to try winter camping up in the Lakeland fells this winter. I have never done it before and I want to make it more interesting by using my tarp and Rab Survival Zone bivvy too. I am also going to buy on friday an Exped downmat7 in short length (£49 from a good online and real store based down south somewhere). I hope that is not stupid considering I'm well over 6' tall. I'll use my sack under my legs. I have measured it andfrom just above my shoulders to my knees is 120cm, the mat length. I use a pillow for the head and sack for my legs. Should be ok. Will test it I think before the cold comes. I will pitch the tarp in a cave or pyramid style with a back end lifter using trekking poles since I will be in the open. Should be ok. If I do it near enough to the car to bug out I reckon I will be ok on my own (also only my second solo camp but only because noone will come with me).

Gonna be a cold winter this time again if those Russian / Polish scientists are right. All early met signs seem to indicate jetstream and thewarm water current is not in the usual place indeed the warm water current seems to be staying south again so we will be getting the cold air our lattitude should get namely cold. The water temps Iheard were already lower than it should be. Of course I know nothing, this is all I read elsewhere and regurgitating it in my poor grammatical style. I hope its another good winter. Might even get a new montane extreme jacket or smock if it is cold enough.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
This was January a couple of years ago...Tarp shelters, small fires, layers of clothing, lots of protien and plenty hydration...not to mention keeping the grey matter occupied...

DSCF6650copy.jpg

Amazing how hardy youngsters are...

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm looking forward to some winter camps under my tarp, too. I've only been using it since Easter so haven't had to put up with any cold yet. I think I'll be ok on the gear front, as Winter camping is nothing new; indeed, Mrs Bilmo & I have spent 3 of the last six Christmasses under canvas. She won't entertain the tarp tho'. Hopefully a new pair of silk LJs will come my way before it gets too nippy. Like me silk. :)

Woodcutter

Feb 6, 2006
Kent
By all means give the long fire a go if you fancy it, you"ll find that you won't need it, or if you do a good one you won't need your sleeping bag! , me and the kids tarp out all year round, we also sometimes make a good shelter which we re use several times before someone finds it and wrecks it. A good shelter does a great job of favouring the fire, the heat just circulates round. Whatever you do, enjoy it and be sure to post some pics.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Melting snow for your water?
If you have a fire going, a nearby midge headnet full of snow suspended over a pot should provide enough for your needs.

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I have never been winter camping but was going to this winter , and i thought that you needed a very top of the range sleeping bag for this like a artic one , am i wrong ?

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I have said for the past few winters that i would like to head out in to the woods and build some sort of teepee using hazel or willow poles and half a dosen tarps, and have a small fire inside it, but havent got round to doing it yet!

I have a few days holiday to take so if we get a cold snap in nov/dec i might just give it a go! I have been told that you only need a very small fire inside a teepee to keep warm even on the coldest night?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have been out in -30 to -35 with my army doss bag and bivi bag was ok in my snow hole......

have also been out on breckon with 18 " of snow for 2 weeks under a tarp. after 7 days i was in a t/shirt during the day if the sun was out and felt realy good, considering i had been doing 20-22 hour days tabbing all day every day.

Bashering up in the winter is great fun, a small fire to cook on will keep you well warm if your out of the wind.

all i sleep in is my undies and t/shirt (unless im about to get bumped...lol) when you get up you will feel the warmth of your clothing more..................

just do what you think is right and most of all enjoy what you do or whats the point in doing it.......

good luck...

chris.........................

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Winter bivvys are comfy enough with a decent bag, but everybody feels the cold differently, i can't sleep at all if i'm too warm, but come 4am i'll be waking up freezing and doing all the baffles up on my bag.
Snow holes are nice and warm at any temp, tents are OK but as with the snow hole you'll need a decent mat aswell, a nice natural bivvy and some spuce layers make a huge differnece to your comfort, Hammocks maybe comfy, but you'll be needing a serious under blanket and a good thick mat to ward of the cold.
Just make sure the fires ready to go in the morning,makes a world of difference to the next day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE