winter camping in a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Not sure about two weeks. Be happy with a weekend. That way if i dont get any sleep at least i can catch up again easy enough.

Is there a reason behind the question?

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
been there done that had a brill time the woodland was very dense and we was sheltered well then about amonth later stayed out one night and came down with the first stages of hypo good job i had some clued up friends around

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
In theory i am well up for 2 weeks out in a hammock in january . The problem being getting time off to do it !! Could possibly twist SWMBOs arm though .
Is this a hypothetical question or do you have something in mind ?
Pumbaa

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Well, if you have your bottom insulation all worked out (like a couple of CCF pads) then I'd say go for it! at least then you have the option of sleeping on the ground if it gets too cold for your hammock.
Just make sure your insulation is niiiice and wide in a hammock

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
No problem at all. As with everything as long as you are prepared there should be no problem. If I am taking no chances about getting cold I use my Nanok endurance -10 inside my 0 bag. These are designed to nest to give a deep winter bag. I have a thermarest between them and I am well covered.

I have use this set up down to -10 and was fine and toasty. Not even deep in the woods. I was on the beach of a Loch and the tarp was well frosted in the morning. Only problem is the cold when you go out for a pee during the night but that is no different when you are in a tent.

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
I would definitely if I had the right insulation,I have done a fair bit of research on this and found that the Americans use their hammocks alot in the winter.With different setups eg;Peapod,alot dont even use sleeping bags as they use
over/under insulation either down or synthetic.
Clayton

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I've made the warm-hammock that thed linked. I'd highly recommend it. Cheaper than any sort of hammock add on, and no installation required when setting it up.
Just make sure to put darts in the insulation pocket when sewing it, otherwise your bodyweight compresses the insulation.

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Hammock and tarp with kip mat in the hammock to insulate your back. Your off the ground and if you tie a bit of cord 90 degrees to the hammock you can rock yourself to sleep..........priceless.

Don't do tents Im afraid :(

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
For me its the old nanock -10, underneath my full length thermarest, both inside my bivi bag just to keep the wind and early morning moisture away. If it is particularly nippy (I feel the cold, too skinny) then I wear thermals and a woly hat.

I am looking to invest in the HH 4 season system in the future but my present setup works fine and can transfer it the ground if needed.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I did nearly two week on and off last Jan/Feb, some of it in minus temps I used a PLCE bag on top of a reindeer skin and I was toasty. That was in quite a small hammock for me, a bit like a thai one. Very enjoyable though. The kids were out for a few nights as well, they were in a hennessy with quilts and on foam mats, they never had a problem with the cold even when it was -4

I love the cold, well as long as I can keep warn!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE