Winter camping essential?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Just popped into Maplin and bought a heated fleece. They do gillets and jackets and insoles too.
6 AA batteries give 2 hours o heating at 45 deg C
I plan to line my sleeping bag with it.
Costs £15-£20
No association etc

yme2evus.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a 90 year old uncle who's just had another wee heart attack and is now on more blood thinners.....he's feeling the cold.
Would you try thon fleece out and let me know just how comfortable it is ? Might make a good present :D

Thanks for the heads up :)

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have some electronically heated insoles made by Scarpa - I tend not to use them but my wife keps them with her walking stuff!
They proved effective during testing though :)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Right, I bought a large when I would normally buy med and it fits great.
pyme9apa.jpg

erytequb.jpg

The fleece has two pockets on the inside of jacket to hold the battery packs and they are held closed with Velcro.
The battery packs (with batteries) weigh just 105g each and the whole lot weighs 546g.
erajysad.jpg

ysujudy8.jpg

I fired it up and within 120 seconds my thermometer showed a temp of 44.2 C. Very quick and toaster.
e3ygety7.jpg

The heating patch appears to be woven wire ins rectangle of each breast plate measuring approx 6x4 inch.

I'll have to see how long the battery lasts and check the temp fluctuations over this time tomorrow.

The inside of the jacket does have a sort of silk lining along the breast but it feels toastie even without the heating unit on.
I'm planning to turn the fleece inside out and use it to pre- heat my sleeping bag.
e8ejybej.jpg

(Above image is upside down)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE