Winter bag

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
My sleeping bag is getting a bit shot so after a winter bag.
No frills needed weight not a real issue as it will be not used for long walk ins.
Been told about the 95 patt and 58 patt army issue and keep seeing current issue winter bags synthetic and down any recommendations?
Anyone use the current issue synthetic?
Please no + and - issues over down v synthetic I know them I will not get the bag wet.
Like the idea of the centre zip for use in the hammock but can cope with left or right entry.
Dont want to spend lots as it gonna get used!
D

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Not got any great advice to offer. I have two 58 pattern (I think) arctic bags - centre zip, warm as chuff. They really are excellent. Mine were from the-outdoor.co.uk I think a long time ago.

The only point I will make with regards to down/synthetic is that I used to think very much like you. :rolleyes: If your sleeping bag gets wet, you're doing something very wrong.

Not strictly true. I slept in a hooped bivvy a few weeks ago in my alpkit down bag. No drama. No rain. Woke up in the morning to find a good pint of condensation hanging round the bottom of the bivvy bag. :(

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Oh and I was going to leave it at my earlier post! :( I have a big dislike of Snugpak bags. I have owned two (still own one). I wouldn't trust the temperature ratings for a minute although I would go as far that a bag rated by Snugpak as -25°C would be OK for this country.

I think a big chunk of the discrepancy between my and their temperature ratings must stem from the expansion system that they use. I guess Snugpak's ratings assume the panel's not expanded, whereas my experience is that the unexpanded panel's only for racing snakes.

I know I'm in the minority here. Loads of people here and loads of squaddies love snugpak.

Look at alpkit.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Well i love them and also i understand why you hate them but i am built like a racing snake as you call it but thats just cos i am 20 probally and only ten and a half stone but eats like a lion thats not eaton since last summer

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
:D Age/fitness is also a big factor in sleeping bag ratings. There's a great article somewhere by Nanok I think...

It seems the article I was looking for is no longer available. I'll use this quote instead:

Be aware that the extreme temperature rating given means frost bite likely but death unlikely, so it really isn't something you want to do!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for the replies all taken on board. I am pretty slim and a short ar.. but I do like a bit of room in a bag. Thanks for the heads up on your sale nice bag but £100 more than I want to spend. If I wanted something that nice I would probably look towards the alpkit down bags.
But ta I hope you sell it soon.
The bag is for dossin in the woods round fires and not in tents with me worrying about keeping it pristine (which if I spent alot is what I would be worried about) and what I would be doing.
Appreciate the comment about condensation it can be an issue and to be honest thats why my last bag was a synthetic and why the next one will probably end up being.
The 58 bag I think is the way I will go its just finding one....I seem to find current isssue artic on ebay for sensible money but no comments on the rating for Uk use.
Thanks for the time guys I appreciate it,
Dave
Outdoor .co...... currently out of stock

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Dave,
I've used the 58 bags over the years (I keep one in the car for emergencies), if you get a good used one the down inside is less likely to shift and leave you with cold spots. Also put a drawcord in the hood. They are a good bag for the money and are compressable.
The warmth is'nt bad for UK use either.
The 95 bag is very big & bulky (fills a plce bergen!) but also very warm (bro used his in a South Georgia winter!).
Neil
PS will try to get up and ee you and the big fella at some point ,honest!

shocks

Forager
Dec 1, 2007
Devon
I was disappointed to be honest. I love the idea of khuks and am still searching for the perfect one!

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Dave,
I've used the 58 bags over the years (I keep one in the car for emergencies), if you get a good used one the down inside is less likely to shift and leave you with cold spots. Also put a drawcord in the hood. They are a good bag for the money and are compressable.
The warmth is'nt bad for UK use either.
The 95 bag is very big & bulky (fills a plce bergen!) but also very warm (bro used his in a South Georgia winter!).
Neil
PS will try to get up and ee you and the big fella at some point ,honest!

Ta for that just got to find one now!
58 down then....hmnn better size when compressed then....middle zip?
Think it was.
Ta Dave
Ps Great for you to come up, we got a fairly nice spot here for you for a couple of nights out. D:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE