willow structures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
this is something weve been building for a while at college. its basically living willow planted to look like a dragon. this is a pictiure from february i think, but it looks loads better now leaves are out so i'll try to get a more recent picture sometime.

47653.jpg

it got me thinking about shelters - would native peoples have planted living shelters from willow or hazel? i read somewhere about shepherds in wales using hurdles as portable shelters, but presumably these were not living.
now the leaves are out its does a great job of keeping out the wind and sun. although i suppose that because its only really a shelter in the summer then people could have used any tree to shelter under.

any thoughts?

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
theres some problem with the image at yoxio, it was there the day i posted but its gone now. i'll upload it again when i go back to college.

cheers gb

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
the Earth center has loads of willow structures. they use them as shelterd pathways in some more exposed parts I sem to remember. I don't think I have any photos though. I think its one of the best bits they have there.
Not living but yurts are willow shelters with felt wrapped around them

woodsitter

Tenderfoot
Jan 18, 2004
Amsterdam
In my experience, willow is not without its problems.

I knew someone who cut himself a lot of willow to construct a fence next to a path passing his garden. During the summer the willow ‘exploded’ :shock:
The willow wasn't quite dead is seems at least it started living again. It grew so bizarre fast that the path was impassable in a matter of weeks.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
cut it down and paint the stumps with glyphosate or something similar. the chemicals will break down in a couple of days and wont do too much damage the environment, just dont do it near watercourses. or you can get a stump grinder if you have loads of bigger stuff.

cheers gb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE