Willow Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was lucky enough last week to score some lovely pieces of Willow from a good mate of mine, all of which is destined to become bowls of one form or another.

The trough style bowl was the first to be carved out last week, and the round bowl shortly after from the other half of the log, i had intended to make another trough style bowl, but noticed some cracking in the timber, so I used the center section of the wood, which was crack free.

DSCN6424.jpg

All of the rough hollowing was done with my adze, before i moved on to a gouge and Ben Orford crook knife for the more delicate cuts, as the wood was so fresh, i needed to let it dry somewhat before i could move on and get these finished off, because of this, i left the bowls a little on the thick side to allow for shrinkage.

When i say thick, they were thin enough to allow day light through in places, but this is only because the wood was so wet.

DSCN6398.jpg

So today, i got one of the two more or less finished, im pretty pleased with the way it's turned out so far, the wall thickness is pretty uniform, although i have left a bit of additional thickness where the end grain is, just in case, the wall thickness as an average, i suppose is around 3/8 of an inch (5mm) thick

DSCN6577.jpg

DSCN6597.jpg

This one I'm keeping for me, just by way of a change, I'm going to use it to eat my breakfast from, on the rare occasion i actually have breakfast, i still need to spend a bit of time refining the surfaces of bowl as it's still a bit rough in places, might do that on Thursday with the cabinet scrapers, when hopefully the other other bowl blank will have dried enough by then to allow me to do some work on it.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Lovely White Willow there mate, Great job! Love it!
My white willow spoons keep splitting!
Must try harder!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......I'm going to use it to eat my breakfast from, on the rare occasion i actually have breakfast, i still need to spend a bit of time refining the surfaces of bowl as it's still a bit rough in places.....

start eating alpen, breakfast and sandpaper in one!

cracking work as always kepis, well done mate :)

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
Hiya,

Nice bowls especially the round bowl.

Willow is a funny wood to carve I have had water flying out of it when using an adze, and even a light touch with a finger nail will mark it, it is nice when fully dry though. Like you I leave willow bowls thick.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I forgot about the willow we were given, mine is on the floor in the garage, had better get started on it, so many projects to do.
Nice bowl mate, needs a good sanding mind. :cool:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I forgot about the willow we were given, mine is on the floor in the garage, had better get started on it, so many projects to do.
Nice bowl mate, needs a good sanding mind. :cool:

cheers mate, oh yes, im going to sand this to within an inch of it's life i think:rolleyes:, i'll bring it along tomorrow and the burl one too

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Looks sublime Kepis, I always really like the style you use in the product you create whether its a spoon or a bowl,
It has that same nicely casual, smooth finish that is so difficult to do just right, but you did it again spot on
A joy to look upon!
Yours sincerely Ruud

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Again just a lovely couple of pieces.

Yeah agree though willow can be a touch funky to work sometimes is either to danged wet or to wicked dry lol

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That was me Saturday night. Destroyed my tuck box as I went down. Proper tree hugged on order.

Nice bowls Kepis, need to find some time to do some carving. Got a honey spoon to make thanks to Hugo.

Cheers Jack, look forward to seeing your honey spoon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE