Willow Bark Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Am hoping to have a play with making willow bark cordage, I have a couple of questions tho.

In one of Uncle Rays videos he specifically uses a trunk slightly larger than his wrist. Is there a reason other than yield vs wound to the tree? If I use a smaller piece do I get a thicker bark?

Cheers

J

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Wrist size thickness seems to be the accepted norm for getting a decent size piece of bark with minimal off shoots. If you need less cordage you might chose nettles or roots (job depending), the advantage of willow being you get a larger yield for simular effort and the strips can be a good length (2-3 times longer than nettles for example). As it grows so well you can harvest effectively without killing the tree. I've made cordage with it a few times and that would be my take on your question.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I use whatever I can find, but a bit larger trunks give more cordage (and often longer pieces). I really like making cordage, it is a nice, meditative activity. If you want good stuff make it with three strands (first make a two strand cord, then add in a third one), but the simple two strand cord works quite well for most porpoises .

20150905105504-a473b9f3-me.jpg

20150905105452-9192cf82-me.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE