Will Lord at the BCUK Summer Bushmoot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Will Lord of 'beyond 2000BC' will be running flint knapping workshops during this years Summer Bushmoot, the classes will be small and intensive, with the intended aim of getting each student to successfully construct a flint hand axe (and possibly even an arrow head as well) by the end of the workshop which they can of course keep.

will Lord:
skinclothing.jpg

There will be four workshops in total, two on the Saturday and another two on the Sunday

The first workshop of each day will run from 9:00am to 1:00pm and the second will run from 2:00pm to 6:00pm

Each 4 hour class is limited to just 5 people; there will be a small additional charge of £15:00 per person to cover the costs of materials and travel expenses. Will lives at the other end of the country and as there is no natural flint near the moot site, he will be bringing it all with him!

payment must be made in cash to Will Lord on the day

Please let us know as soon as possible if you wish to attend, due to the limited class size places will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. Please do not put in a request unless you are certain you will be in attendance, for this reason requests will not be granted if you have not already booked a place at the bushmoot.

some of Will's work:

spearheads.jpg

knife1.jpg

!arrow1.jpg

barbtang.jpg

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
PM sent stuart - although I must admit I hadn't seen this before I did so:

"Please do not put in a request unless you are certain you will be in attendance, for this reason requests will not be granted if you have not already booked a place at the bushmoot."

I have not yet booked a place at the bushmoot (but fully intend on doing so), but do feel a little put out - even if I can understand why - that such a restriction is in place.

John

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Stuart,

Can you count this as a bona fide request to have a place on a flint knapping session? I looked round the site and came to the conclusion that there isn't a formal method of booking a place on the summer moot yet. Perhaps you could put a link to it on this thread if I am wrong or when it comes up. :You_Rock_

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I have not yet booked a place at the bushmoot (but fully intend on doing so), but do feel a little put out - even if I can understand why - that such a restriction is in place.

I was a little concerned when i typed it, that it might sound a bit too much like making people jump though hoops.

But I was even more concerned about people taking places without any firm commitment to actually attending, and in doing so denying a place to someone who really wanted to go.

It seemed reasonable that if a person wanted to reserve a place at the workshop they should demonstrate some commitment to actually attending by booking a place at the event. Since if they are not intending buy ticket for the bushmoot, they couldn’t attend the workshop anyway

you can book the bushmoot in the BCUK Shop here

Rich57 and Womble, which days and times would you like?

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Thanks Stuart! I'm easy for the time of the workshop, but I would prefer a Saturday slot if possible.

John

PS UnfortunatelyI can't read your PM as according to the site my browser doesn't support "In-line frames" - whatever that means (it also means that i can't read anything past the first page of new posts on here either:( . for some reason this only affects my less-than 5 months old home computer). I should be able to have a read of it tomorrow at work.

PPS PM now read - my work PC doesn't appear to have the same problems!

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I haven't got the funds to pay right now for the bushmoot; why couldn't you just have a list of people in first come, first served order, and the people who don't turn up are simply crossed off the list and the next person down gets to go on the course?

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
I can easily bring a few carrier-bags full of Hampshire flint nodules in the back of the car if that would help - no guarantees they would be up to Will's high standards for raw materials though. ;-)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wow, I wish I could attend this moot. I don't think it is gonna hapen as my transiton into civvy street hasn't gone quite as smoothly as I'd liked. Therefore, I'm on catchup with work and need to get a lot of things sorted out rapidly.

I hope you all enjoy the flint knapping, something I've wanted to do for a number of years now. I should hope there will be pictures!;)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
This is how it looks so far:

Saturday Morning Group:

chas brookes
Womble

Saturday afternoon Group:

Mrs Too Much Kit To Carry
nigelp

Sunday Morning Group:

Too Much Kit To Carry
rich59
Brian

Sunday afternoon Group:

palmnut

I can easily bring a few carrier-bags full of Hampshire flint nodules in the back of the car if that would help - no guarantees they would be up to Will's high standards for raw materials though. ;-)

you can never have to much flint when your learning! the more the better

why couldn't you just have a list of people in first come, first served order, and the people who don't turn up are simply crossed off the list and the next person down gets to go on the course?

Because that way the only time we would actually know if they were coming or not would be on the day of the course. At which point we would then have to find the next person on the list, somewhere on a 35,000 acre estate (if they were even there) to let them know that a place had opened for them. If they don’t want to take it (or we can’t find them) we have to repeat the whole process again.

with the thousand and one other things that need to be attended to make a bushmoot run smoothly, I would really prefer to have a list before hand on which each person had already shown some commitment to actually attending.

Since £15 is such a seriously cheap fee for tutelage by one of the UK’s most respected flint knappers I don’t think we are being unfair in asking for people to prove there commitment to attend by booking their ticket beforehand

May 24, 2007
Me and the girlfriend are now booked on for the summer bushmoot, so we'd like to stick our names down for one of the saturday workshops. We're not botehred which one.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Because that way the only time we would actually know if they were coming or not would, be on the day of the course. At which point we would then have to find the next person on the list, somewhere on a 35,000 acre estate (if they were even there) to let them know that a place had opened for them. If they don’t want to take it (or we can’t find them) we have to repeat the whole process again.

with the thousand and one other things that need to be attended to make a bushmoot run smoothly, I would really prefer to have a list before hand on which each person had already shown some commitment to actually attending.

Since £15 is such a seriously cheap fee for tutelage by one of the UK’s most respected flint knappers I don’t think we are being unfair in asking for people to prove there commitment to attend by booking their ticket beforehand

Alright, fair enough . I'll go buy the bushmoot ticket.:D

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Just booked and paid for the moot. If the are places left I'd like to sign up for the flint knapping - Sunday morning slot preferred, otherwise any will do.

Cheers

Darsha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE