Wilkinson Sword Woodlore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
At this precise momemnt the high bidder is a person who clearly knows what they are doing since they regularly sell knives on ebay, including Wilkinson Sword RM knives in the past.

If people want to trade the knives, fair enough. I am only concerned if someone who wants a knife to use goes and thinks they need to spend all that money to get a Woodlore style knife 'cause its the "best" and they must have one.

Oh well. Does anyone think that trading Ray's knives is more or less illogical than trading baseball cards?

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
At this precise momemnt the high bidder is a person who clearly knows what they are doing since they regularly sell knives on ebay, including Wilkinson Sword RM knives in the past.

I daren't ask about the last few items he has PURCHASED were used for. :yelrotflm :D

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well, I was always told 'if you don't ask you don't get' - so I asked the seller if this was a genuine WS woodlore, made in the WS factory in England, as I had thought that all the WS Woodlore knives had the 'Made in England' stamp under the WS logo. Here's his response:

Hi this is a genuine Ray Mears knife, we bought a number of these when the Wilkinson factory closed last year, some had made in England and some did not, the last of thses knives will be offered to night on ebay, this has made in england but is the lighter coloured grip
hope this helps
regards
Jeff

If I intended to bid I might ask for proof of purchase from WS, but otherwise it does seem genuine...

Reactions: Doc

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hmmm...if it wasn't made in England, then where? This is the first I've heard of these.

Ooops: I misread the post above. So, they were made in England. :eek:

I thought at first that this might be a prototype. However, I have one of the earlier ones and it has a mirror finish on the flats. The brush finish came later. Also, they lowered the bevel on the later ones. Both of mine, early and late, have Made in England on them.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I agree. As the seller is also offering odds and ends like WS sword tassels, I suspect that this is indeed from the Wilkinson factory.

Odd how it was not stamped like the others though.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
One other point to note is that there was a recent WS Woody sold on ebay that was listed as one of the very last production models, and had no stamping on it whatsoever. It may be that the logos are stamped separately, and that is why the 'Made in England' bit doesn't appear - it hadn't made it past that part fo the process when the factory stopped production.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The only slight concern I have is why would they make a company stamp in two parts and at a stroke double both their tooling and production costs. Perhaps though this is an indication of why they are no longer in business?

Cheers

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, if they produced some stuff that needed the "Made in England" stamp but without the WS branding then it would make perfect sense. Or if they want to produce WS branded products which are then finished in other markets - say the USA - then it would also make perfect sense.

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
357pound is rediculous, that works out to be around $890AU, that more than I have earnt in a week, paying thaqt sort of money for a knife you have got to have your hand on it.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Leaving off the "made in England" stamp may be a way of avoiding criminal proceedings, as the knife is not exactly like the RM wilkie it could be considered a copy, not a fake.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Scott don's his Nomex undercrackers and...

I don't see any problem whatsoever in people buying the knives in batches then selling them onto ever so slightly obsessive collectors for overly inflated prices.

If the market can handle the prices they sell and if it can't they wont.

Maybe then people will start using a bit of common sense when buying and look to the perfectly acceptable alternatives out there.

If Alan Wood gets an order for 20 knives to one buyer then good luck to him as it lessens the postage hassles.

If I was making the knives (I don't make knives, I work as a Carpenter) at full capacity and realised that they were selling on at far higher prices I would put my prices up till trade slowed down slightly.
That way I would know I was making the most for my hard work.
Personally I try and get the most wages for my effort so can't see why its a problem so why shouldn't others :confused:

Market forces and all that :)

Also just because it says Wilkinson Sword Woodlore on the blade is it actually a better blade anyway?
I am in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM saying that theres anything wrong with the woodlore knives by the way.
Some of you may have noticed that there are other people making knives out there.
If its a fake then thats not on though as that makes it a bit of a con so I would not be too impressed by that.

regards Scott.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
C_Claycomb said:

If people want to trade the knives, fair enough. I am only concerned if someone who wants a knife to use goes and thinks they need to spend all that money to get a Woodlore style knife 'cause its the "best" and they must have one.

Oh well. Does anyone think that trading Ray's knives is more or less illogical than trading baseball cards?

What's a baseball card?? Must be some colonial rubbish:)

grumpy-monkey

Mar 31, 2006
sheffield
if i paid £100 + for a knife the wife would use it to castrate me lol
at the moment i use one of those training knifes that ray sells on his site and the laplander folding saw ( there bloody brilliant by the way)

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Well if ur gonna be castrated, might aswell be a Woodlore LOL

Just out of curiosity, and forgive me for quickly changing the subject (momentarilly :) ) but where is the best place to get one of those laplander folding saws online?

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I don't think real users suffer at all with the high prices of handmade and production Woodlores. There are many makers who can make an identical knife for a lot less and there is no difference in functionality or quality.

If you must have a Woodlore to use, then you are as much a collector as those who pay high prices for a display piece.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE