Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Knife: What to do?

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
'88 I think I bought mine. It was just after Combat and Survival did a feature on it.

That was back when I thought 'one size fits all' with knives.

It works for some people, not for me. I have a tree feller, a skinner now etc.

I used to have the complete set of C&S mags, think my son has them now. When I was in RS McColl's the other day I spotted combat and survival on the shelf, I guess they must update it (swap pics of SLRs and 58 webbing for SA80A2 and PLCE) and re-merchandise it.

Liam

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I remember after the success of the weekly, they launched a monthly version. I bought it for a while. Probably still have the first ten of so of the monthly copies in the loft somewhere.

Good to see it's still running though. The other main contender for the outdoor £ at the time was 'Survival Weaponry and Techniques' which was, probably kindest to say, more than a little hit and miss in it's content.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I remember after the success of the weekly, they launched a monthly version. I bought it for a while. Probably still have the first ten of so of the monthly copies in the loft somewhere.

Good to see it's still running though. The other main contender for the outdoor £ at the time was 'Survival Weaponry and Techniques' which was, probably kindest to say, more than a little hit and miss in it's content.
SWAT HAD BY FAR THE BETTER WRITERS! ESPECIALLY FOR GEAR REVIEWS (at least for the latter years and when it became "Survival and Outdoor Techniques") :D
As to the knife - horrible thing that original model - it tried to have a bit of everything on it...so it was not good for anything!
And as to having an ally nut on a steel thread ...... If I was not informed wrongly the C&S review was done mainly with a knife that had fallen apart due to the thread in the nut stripping as it was tightened and the photos were posed to keep the handle on the knife....
This is only hearsay though - it could be made up .... but I have seen at least one knife where the nut has stripped its thread....
Tried one out but found it uncomfortable and awkward to use.

As a piece of history it is quite interesting though - keep it!

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
SWAT HAD BY FAR THE BETTER WRITERS! ESPECIALLY FOR GEAR REVIEWS (at least for the latter years and when it became "Survival and Outdoor Techniques") :D
As to the knife - horrible thing that original model - it tried to have a bit of everything on it...so it was not good for anything!
And as to having an ally nut on a steel thread ...... If I was not informed wrongly the C&S review was done mainly with a knife that had fallen apart due to the thread in the nut stripping as it was tightened and the photos were posed to keep the handle on the knife....
This is only hearsay though - it could be made up .... but I have seen at least one knife where the nut has stripped its thread....
Tried one out but found it uncomfortable and awkward to use.

As a piece of history it is quite interesting though - keep it!

Regards SWAT, when they started to print utterly inaccurate 'advice' that was the end of it for me. I'm specifically thinking of a first aid piece that would have done more damage than help had it have been put into practice.

As the previous month they'd had a 'how to' piece about astral travel and also how to give people a sore head by staring at the back of their head when on the bus a certain way, well, you know what, that was it for me.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I have had both over the years the first I brought off a bloke doing time in the Battalion nick the duty rodney had to get it for me from is belongings :lmao:it was well made and the dartmoor ,,,well :rolleyes:.

As John said a nice bit of history

Twodogs

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Regards SWAT, when they started to print utterly inaccurate 'advice' that was the end of it for me. I'm specifically thinking of a first aid piece that would have done more damage than help had it have been put into practice.

As the previous month they'd had a 'how to' piece about astral travel and also how to give people a sore head by staring at the back of their head when on the bus a certain way, well, you know what, that was it for me.
But admit it - te gear reviews were excellent :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE