Wilkenson sword woodlore knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I dont know if there is already a thread for this.. if there is would someone kindly direct me there!

But i was wondering if anyone has a wilkenson sword woodlore knife.. and even better does anyone have experience of the wilkenson sword and alan wood woodlore knives and how they preform in comparisen to one anoter!!

any views and reviews would be good :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Have a search for woodlore knife and you will find long threads about both knives.

Martyn has both a WS and an Alan Wood but there were several problems with the new batches of Wilkinson sword Knives when they came out. The first examples were rusty due to being shipped in brand new and not thoroughly dry sheaths.

I think the general verdict is that if you want a woodlore knife now then get a micarta handled one and if you have to have wood handle then wait the 11 months for an alan wood version. Another option is the get an alan wood bushcrafter (there are some pics in the gallery now) which is cheaper, less waiting time and (I think the owners would say) an improvement on the woodlore design.

These are my views and I don't think to speak for everyone here by any means. Like I say the best place to start is a search.

Hope that will help.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
tomtom said:
so why would you advise against the wooden handeled WS knife?

I don't have one so it is not from experience but I think there are better options than the WS wooden handled woodlore.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
what would they be.. i dont really know about any other knives..
if you can be bothered could you list a few of the knives avalible of the same standered.. price.. ect

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
tomtom said:
if you can be bothered could you list a few of the knives avalible of the same standered.. price.. ect

Ok

Best woodlore is alan wood's version £195 + 11 month wait.
also alan wood bushcrafter is £150 I think and a bit less wait.
Gene Ingram does lots of designs which are good and £100 will buy most of them all handmade
WS micarta woodlore is £95 and in stock and people have very good things to say about them.
There are lots of scandinavian style knives on British blades most handmade and often good prices.

It comes down to preference and if you really want a woodlore or not. Some people would say there are better knives for less money.

The list is not complete by any means just some ideas.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
sorry if my questions are becoming tedious...

appart from the people who it is made by.. what are the differences between the maple handel WS and the and the alan wood woodlore?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
tomtom said:
sorry uf my questions are becoming tedious...

appart from the people who it is made by.. what are the differences between the maple handel WS and the and the alan wood woodlore?

I don't mind the questions so carry on.

The main difference is that Alan Wood is the original maker and WS are copying his design (with permission) and although they are making it by hand it is in production quantities by (I assume) several different craftsmen. In theory they are the same knife with the same wood for handles but in practice alan wood has much more to lose from poor workmanship and is therefore more careful to produce a perfect product. Again IMO.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
blooomin eek! i dont know what to go for.. i see what you mean.. but the WS is avalible now and cheeper... tooooo tempting!

do you know any site... for the other knives you mentioned?

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
British Blades http://www.britishblades.com/ is a mine of information tomtom

while you are there check out the bark river North Star too it looks like being a great success. As far as i know the knives have been made and are waiting for the sheathes. Starting at $105 the price is smashing too
Tant

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/ Gene's new site.
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/index.php? Look in the classifieds at the bottom of the page for scandi's
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...ead.php?p=58655 Martyns original review of his bushcrafter with prices I think.

Thats the main ones I mentioned. Other people will have loads of alternatives to these few and some at much lower prices if you move away from custom knives. There is a big following for Bark River knives on outdoors magazine http://forums.outdoors-magazine.com/ they have a whole section devoted to them.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
There are so many ways to spend your money on a good knife. I also encourage you to take a look at Gene Ingram. His work is excellent and his prices are many times lower than production pieces. I have a number of his knives and each one is a delight. This is one of his #6 droppoints with SeaCow scales. I find this an excellent woods knife.

IngramSheathRS.jpg

However, the WS and Alan's knifes have a very good following over here. Probably my favorite woods knife was made by Nick Wheeler and handled by Jamie Knowlden. This one is in O-1 with redwood burl scales.

OSFDeck.jpg

I recommend you take your time and study the old posts before spending the cash......of course, I never have personally followed that line of thought. :?:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Tomtom I did a review of the woodlore knife back in the uncomplicated early days when Tony first set up BCUK - NOT SURE OF THE LINK ADDRESS - but if you vist reviews then you should find it.

Hope that helps.

Zacary

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2004
I have a Grohman knife how do these compare? They are popular back home, although I was issued mine while I served in the forces.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Well guys, i can believe its taken me this long to enter the thread.
How easy are the Gene Ingrams to sharpen? And how easy are they to repair in case of a dent? Tomtom, i just lost my WS Micarta (i still cant believe i did it) and when it was around i found it pretty much perfect, it is an excellent woodsmans knife.

For £95 i dont think you can get much better (but i havent sampled Dave Barkers work or any other BB knifemakers, they are said to be excellent). The WS is easy to fix damage on being a single bevel.

I'd recomend you to the WS, but keep in mind that i havent tried the Northstar, Alan Wood, or Gene Ingram

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Just got a replacement WS Woodlore today because the scales on the old one suddenly seemed like they were made of banana wood and became distorted.

The new one is visually flawless and feels heavier than the old one. The scales on this one however don't smell as much of linseed oil as the old one did which may be a black mark against it in the long run, I don't know. Might give it a little soak in some later just to make sure.

We'll see how this goes ...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Zacary said:
I have a Grohman knife how do these compare? They are popular back home, although I was issued mine while I served in the forces.

Would that be the boat knife?

They are thought ofg well from what I've read - a little "Nessmukian" in design, but I believe very comfortable to use. The Scandi inspired knives are favoured here though. You might hear a couple of folks say they own a Grohmann boat knife (I bet Hoodoo does :D ), but I dont think there are many. What are your experiences of it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE