Wildside to be reprinted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Advance notification just arrived that a reprint of Hugh Fearnley-etc's "A Cook on the Wild Side" is going to be published, at the original cover price. The River Cottage website will doubtless show more details as they are available.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
Excellent! I have a copy of this book, easily one of the best there is on cooking with wild foods. I am waiting for the morels in our back garden to grow so I can try the recipe with snails and pain perdu! And perhaps finally getting round to trying to make birch sap wine.

I recommend this book to anyone - Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall may be better known now for his River Cottage books (which are also excellent) but this one is a classic, easily worthy of a reprint.

Best wishes

Bruce

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Even better news because copies of 'cook on the wild side' had been experiencing a Ray Mears moment and being sold for 4 or 5 times the original value due to the out of print status.

I look forward to getting a copy for my Hugh library.

Bill

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
tenbears10 said:
Even better news because copies of 'cook on the wild side' had been experiencing a Ray Mears moment and being sold for 4 or 5 times the original value due to the out of print status.

I look forward to getting a copy for my Hugh library.

Bill

Damn, I'll have to sell my old copy sharpish. make a load of cash and buy the new copy when it's re-issued and buy some new gear with the profits :eek:):

Martin

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
You can buy it now :D

Really excellent book on the subject and great it has been republished and screws the overpriced sellers :) (well a bit unfair as that is the market value but still...). Great also to see it is not overpriced and also all copies are signed by HFW as well :) Respect for that. Only being sold via the web site here:

Rivercottage.net - Hugh's Signed Books

From the site:
A Cook on the Wild Side by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
It’s finally here! You can now pre-order your copy of “A Cook on the Wild Side” for delivery w/c 18th April 2005.

This is a world exclusive as it is only available via rivercottage.net...and each copy will be signed by Hugh as well!

Pre-order now as this is a limited print run!

It includes:
– over 300 recipes and cooking ideas, including all of those featured in both series
– extensive field guides to over 100 of the most worthwhile edible wild plants, animals, fish, fruits, flowers and fungi
– over 70 colour photographs to aid identification
– alternative ingredients for ‘armchair foragers’
– a gorgeous picture of Hugh on p.162!

To show support for our local post office in Broadwindsor, Dorset, we’ll be delivering all orders for a single copy of “A Cook on the Wild Side” through the post.

NB: We have kept the price as keen and competitive as possible. The £14.99 price tag is likely to come as a blow to those who have paid considerably more than that for a copy on e-bay or Amazon. But if you have paid in excess of £100 for an original edition, you can rest assured that we have changed the cover design for the new edition to ensure that your copy will always remain distinctive!

Please note - all pre-orders will be delivered from w/c 18th April 2005.

Price: £14.99

Happy cooking :)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
brucemacdonald said:
Excellent! I have a copy of this book, easily one of the best there is on cooking with wild foods. I am waiting for the morels in our back garden to grow so I can try the recipe with snails and pain perdu! And perhaps finally getting round to trying to make birch sap wine.

I recommend this book to anyone - Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall may be better known now for his River Cottage books (which are also excellent) but this one is a classic, easily worthy of a reprint.

Best wishes

Bruce

Yup - agreed. In fact, his other books ('River Cottage Cookbook' and 'River Cottage Year') are excellent reads and, if you want to know more about where your food comes from and what will be growing at certain times of the year, are well worth a look. He also includes quite a few recipes on the sort of stuff you'll find growing wild - although quite a few are from the 'Cook on the Wildside' book.

Mind you, I still believe the best wild-food recipe books are 'Food for Free' Richard Mabey and 'Wild Food' by Roger Philips - especially the latter. If you enjoyed Hugh's book, get these next. You will not be disappointed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE