Wilderness Survival Manual

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Been asked to develop a course on wilderness survival for clients in a year long drug rehab.

The course will involve mostly "lost in the woods" survival, simple shelters, locating water and wild foods, fire making, and orientation - with some "life in the woods" aspects like tapping maples for syrup and sugar, harvesting wild rice, making simple traps and snares as well as more complex shelters.

While I'm good enough at the hands on requirements - I'm looking for a good (short) manual on the subject. Recommendations please.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
John Wisemans "SAS Survival Manual" is a decent read. I'm not sure if its even in print still or not. Its not read as a manual (thankfully), and is chaptered for each subject.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
The John Wiseman is a classic and very good indeed!

If you go into the download section of this site there is the US Army Survival manual which can be downloaded for free!

I've had a flick through but there was a few things that caught my eye.

I'd be interested in how your planning goes so keep us posted.

Good luck

Paul

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pierre,

John Wisemans book is very good, as is the early Ray Mears "Bushcraft and Survival" book.

Or why not write your own (or co-write it with some of the clever guys on here like torus, Patrick etc.). That might add something to your course in having all new material!

red

Jan 22, 2006
uk
the Mors K book would probably have a good amount of info to help out, it'd be a great addition to the Lofty Wiseman and 1st Ray Mears book, although the essential bushcraft paperback by Mears is great too, excellent photos and diags.

after reading your hunting stories I'd love to see the course notes etc that you come up with, good luck - if any one can do it you can!

all the very best

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
The first bit of survival advice I would give someone on drug rehab is to stop takeing the gear.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I got a memory card that is made for the Swedish Amy Survival Handbook, it´s in plastic and can take a lot of beating and contains images of most things that you would need on a survival course. There is some text in swedish but not much and can be tranlated for you. It´s yours if you want it.

It contains the following
- Edible plants
- Hunting and fishing techniques
- Hygiene and plants to use
- Orientation without compass
- Fire
- Shelters
- Cooking
- Equipment how to make your own rucksack, snowshoe, kuksa and ropes
- Psychology

Some pics of it

DSC00005_resize-1.jpg

DSC00004_resize.jpg

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Pierre I recently received a copy of "The Pocket Outdoor Survival Guide. The ultimate guide for short-term survival" by J Wayne Fears, from the US.

It is a small but very well written book working on the principle that most wilderness rescues are concluded within 72 hours.

It covers

Trip Planning
Survival Kits
Search & Rescue
Coping with Bad Weather
Emergency Signaling
Shelter
Sleeping warm
Fire
Dealing with Insects
Safe Drinking Water
Food
Avoiding Hypothermia
Countering Fear

The book is written with a modern approach and is only concerned with short term survival but is very practical in its approach and information it provides.

The book is aimed at the US/Canadian market and this shows mainly in the description of how aerial searches are carried out.

http://www.stoegerpublishing.com/books/detail.tpl?CAT=&SKU=BK0612

BK0612-OutdoorSurvival_300.jpg

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE