Wilderness Medicine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, just wondering if anyone can help me with info on wilderness medicine.

I am wondering what can be used as an antiseptic in the bush.

Thanks guys.

Geoffrey

Changed this a bit, typed antibiotic at first meant antiseptic.

Thanks.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
can you provide me with more info on how to use it for all of those things.

I got some a while back but never learned how to make use of it fully.

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Basically........called Condy's Crystals

Water purifying, gargling, cleaning wounds, upset stomach, etc... 2 to 5 granules stirred into each litre of water. The water must have been sieved to get out junk. The water must be slightly purple, just enough to see purple. Let sit for a few minutes...drink, gargle, etc!

Fire lighting... 5 to 10 granules of potas. with equal quantities of sugar... spark or light with match...very hot and quick to light up. DO NOT STORE sugar and potas. together, as they will self ignite, sometimes in a few minutes, sometimes in a few days!

I used condy's crystals in the army ,and since then, but be aware that one website said the following...

POTASSIUM PERMANGANATE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Identification
Synonyms: Permanganic acid, potassium salt; Condy's crystals
CAS No.: 7722-64-7
Molecular Weight: 158.03
Chemical Formula: KMnO4
Product Codes:
J.T. Baker: 3227, 3228, 3232
Mallinckrodt: 7056, 7068

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous
--------------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------

Potassium Permanganate 7722-64-7 90 - 100% Yes

Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
DANGER! STRONG OXIDIZER. CONTACT WITH OTHER MATERIAL MAY CAUSE FIRE. CORROSIVE. CAUSES BURNS TO ANY AREA OF CONTACT. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED.

J.T. Baker SAF-T-DATA(tm) Ratings (Provided here for your convenience)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Health Rating: 2 - Moderate
Flammability Rating: 0 - None
Reactivity Rating: 3 - Severe (Oxidizer)
Contact Rating: 2 - Moderate
Lab Protective Equip: GOGGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
Storage Color Code: Yellow (Reactive)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------

Inhalation:
Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath. High concentrations can cause pulmonary edema.
Ingestion:
Ingestion of solid or high concentrations causes severe distress of gastro-intestinal system with possible burns and edema; slow pulse; shock with fall of blood pressure. May be fatal. Ingestion of concentrations up to 1% causes burning of the throat, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain; 2-3% causes anemia and swelling of the throat with possible suffocation; 4-5% may cause kidney damage.
Skin Contact:
Dry crystals and concentrated solutions are caustic causing redness, pain, severe burns, brown stains in the contact area and possible hardening of outer skin layer. Diluted solutions are only mildly irritating to the skin.
Eye Contact:
Eye contact with crystals (dusts) and concentrated solutions causes severe irritation, redness, blurred vision and can cause severe damage, possibly permanent.
Chronic Exposure:
Prolonged skin contact may cause irritation, defatting, and dermatitis. Chronic manganese poisoning can result from excessive inhalation exposure to manganese dust and involves impairment of the central nervous system. Early symptoms include sluggishness, sleepiness, and weakness in the legs. Advanced cases have shown symptoms of fixed facial expression, emotional disturbances, spastic gait, and falling.
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
No information found.

First Aid Measures
Inhalation:
Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention immediately.
Ingestion:
If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Give large quantities of water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical attention immediately.
Skin Contact:
Immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical attention immediately. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse.
Eye Contact:
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting lower and upper eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention immediately.

Fire Fighting Measures
Fire:
Not combustible, but substance is a strong oxidizer and its heat of reaction with reducing agents or combustibles may cause ignition. Contact with oxidizable substances may cause extremely violent combustion.
Explosion:
Strong oxidants may explode when shocked, or if exposed to heat, flame, or friction. Also may act as initiation source for dust or vapor explosions. Contact with oxidizable substances may cause extremely violent combustion. Sealed containers may rupture when heated. Sensitive to mechanical impact.
Fire Extinguishing Media:
Use water spray to blanket fire, cool fire exposed containers, and to flush non-ignited spills or vapors away from fire. Suffocating type extinguishers are not as effective as water. Do not allow water runoff to enter sewers or waterways.
Special Information:
In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode.

Accidental Release Measures
Remove all sources of ignition. Ventilate area of leak or spill. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment as specified in Section 8. Spills: Clean up spills in a manner that does not disperse dust into the air. Use non-sparking tools and equipment. Reduce airborne dust and prevent scattering by moistening with water. Pick up spill for recovery or disposal and place in a closed container. US Regulations (CERCLA) require reporting spills and releases to soil, water and air in excess of reportable quantities. The toll free number for the US Coast Guard National Response Center is (800) 424-8802.

Handling and Storage
Keep in a tightly closed container, stored in a cool, dry, ventilated area. Protect against physical damage and moisture. Isolate from any source of heat or ignition. Avoid storage on wood floors. Separate from incompatibles, combustibles, organic or other readily oxidizable materials. Containers of this material may be hazardous when empty since they retain product residues (dust, solids); observe all warnings and precautions listed for the product.

Physical and Chemical Properties
Appearance:
Purple-bronze crystals.
Odor:
Odorless.
Solubility:
7 g in 100 g of water.
Density:
pH:
No information found.
% Volatiles by volume @ 21C (70F):
Boiling Point:
Not applicable.
Melting Point:
ca. 240C (ca. 464F)
Vapor Density (Air=1):
Vapor Pressure (mm Hg):
No information found.
Evaporation Rate (BuAc=1):
No information found.

Stability and Reactivity
Stability:
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage.
Hazardous Decomposition Products:
Toxic metal fumes may form when heated to decomposition.
Hazardous Polymerization:
Will not occur.
Incompatibilities:
Powdered metals, alcohol, arsenites, bromides, iodides, phosphorous, sulfuric acid, organic compounds, sulfur, activated carbon, hydrides, strong hydrogen peroxide, ferrous or mercurous salts, hypophosphites, hyposulfites, sulfites, peroxides, and oxalates.
Conditions to Avoid:
Heat, flames, ignition sources and incompatibles.

Another website said...

Potassium permanganate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Potassium permanganate (KMnO4) is a strong oxidizing agent. Its proper IUPAC name is Potassium manganate (VII). It is also known as "permanganate of potash" and "Condy's crystals". The molecular weight of potassium permanganate is 158.04 g/mol. As a solid, it forms deep purple prisms. It is pink to purple in aqueous solution. It has a sweet taste and is odorless.

[edit]
History
It was discovered in 1659.

Early photographers used it as a component of flash powder.

[edit]
Uses
The substance is used as an oxidizing agent and disinfectant and in deodorizers and dyes. It is used to treat some parasitic diseases of fish, and used in treatment of drinking water, as well as an antidote in phosphorus poisoning. It can also be used to make cocaine 100% pure.

In a diluted solution, it can be used as a mouthwash (1/4%), or to disinfect the hands (1%).

When mixed with water, it is can also be used as a catalyst with T-Stoff for rocket propulsion. In this usage, it is known as Z-Stoff.

It is used as a reagent to determine the Kappa number of wood pulp.

[edit]
Cautions
Potassium permanganate stains the hand and clothing and should be handled with care. Clothing stains may be washed away using acetic acid or hydrochloric acid. Skin stains go off within 48 hours. It causes corrosive burns on the skin, while swallowing it may lead to gastroenteritis.

The DEA has restricted its use and sale.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's detail! :)
Thanks, I use the stuff but it's just always been around and no one really fusses about it, sometimes it's good to read up on the fine print.

Toddy
(who's finally tracked down a cheap source of saltpeter for amadou, yes!)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just to clarify, potassium permanganate is an antiseptic, not an antibiotic. Quite an important difference - dettol is different from penicillin!

For most people, most of the time, it's probably unnecessary to carry antibiotics unless you are a day or two from medical help.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Doc said:
Quite an important difference - dettol is different from penicillin!

:rolmao: Perfectly put Doc! ! ! :rolmao:

On a serious note....are there any molds out there growing wild that might (in a dire emergency) be pressed into service as anti-biotics? ? ?

T

Tricky

Don't know of any molds,but some lichens posess anitbacterial properties
(old mans beard)
and something else called biscuit root

heres the full link
http://www.gaiagarden.com/articles/therapeuticapplications/ta_natures_antibiotics.php

Garlic and also honey seem to also have antibacterial properties

and finally Propalis -Propolis is the substance responsible for neutralizing any bacteria, fungi or virus which enters the hive. One of the most powerful antibiotics found in nature, it is high complex of waxes, resins, balsams, oils and a small amount of pollen.

but i'll be b!*?@$#d if i know how to convince them to give you some

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Tricky said:
Don't know of any molds,but some lichens posess anitbacterial properties
(old mans beard)
and something else called biscuit root

heres the full link
http://www.gaiagarden.com/articles/therapeuticapplications/ta_natures_antibiotics.php

Garlic and also honey seem to also have antibacterial properties

and finally Propalis -Propolis is the substance responsible for neutralizing any bacteria, fungi or virus which enters the hive. One of the most powerful antibiotics found in nature, it is high complex of waxes, resins, balsams, oils and a small amount of pollen.

but i'll be b!*?@$#d if i know how to convince them to give you some

Thanks for the info Matey but as Doc points out below Anti-bactierial and anti-biotic are very different....I was asking about anti-biotic.

Still useful though Matey...cheers :wave:

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
bambodoggy said:
Thanks for the info Matey but as Doc points out below Anti-bactierial and anti-biotic are very different....I was asking about anti-biotic.

Still useful though Matey...cheers :wave:

ERRM, [Donning my pedant hat] Actually Doc said that antibiotic and antiseptic are two different things. Which they are. [remove pedant hat]

But Antibiotics are substances that are capable of destroting bacteria, therefore can be called antibacterial. My personal take on it is that antibacterial items kill bacteria externally (Such as antibacterial soap,) whereas antibiotics are used to treat illnesses caused by bacteria within the body.

I may be wrong?
Cheers,

Martin

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Penicillin is of course derived from a mould -I believe you can grow it on jam quite well. However, after Fleming first noticed that it killed bacteria in a culture dish, it took years to isolate and purify it for use - I don't think the mould itself is much use.

I think modern cephalosporin antibiotics were originally developed from a mould or algae source but again, not much use out in the bush.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The concentrations of active ingredients produced by these moulds are so small that you would not gain anything from collecting and processing wild moulds (unless you had access to an entire orchard worth of rotting fruit!)

For cases of external injury (cuts, wounds etc) then covering the area in a poultice of crushed members of the allium family (garlic, onions, ramsons etc) combined with honey. Ideally you should always wash the area first with clean water, but if you are not in a clean environment, then (providing you have no other issues with internal infections) FRESH urine can be used, as it should be relatively sterile when leaving the body.

For internal infections, the same ingredients can be used (eating honey and garlic for example). For urinary infections, strong herbal teas such as thyme, nettle or dandelion can have a soothing diuretic effect. For the eyes, a wash made from elderflowers, evening primrose flowers, thyme etc can be useful, and for throat infections a gargle of thyme, sage and salt or dried nettles can be good.

But obviously, if you're away from medical help for any period of time, then a FAK is an obvious necessity - you will usually be able to survive infected cuts etc until you can get help as long as you keep them as clean as possible to prevent them spreading/causing septaecemia - however a severe gastirc bug/food poisoning can be enough to cripple you and you can die very quickly from dehydration - hence always have rehydration equipment in your FAK.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Doc,

you said...
"Just to clarify, potassium permanganate is an antiseptic, not an antibiotic. Quite an important difference - dettol is different from penicillin! "

You are indeed right!
I just use the stuff, cause soldiers always do what they are told to do!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:, even if I don't know exactly what is does, and how it does it...

Stuart

F

Freds Dad

In Europe and Uk, try Yarrow. Boil it up and use the juice. OR. Good old wee wee. It's sterile and the uric aric acts as a mild disinfectant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE