Wilderness Gathering Thankyou's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Just wanted to post up and thank the folks who kept me occupied and hydrated over the weekend. It was a long weekend for me and I can barely speak now (all talked out!), also very very tired still!

I demonstrate at shows because I get bored sat behind a table trying to sell stuff. I end up demonstrating more than I need to as a result of not being able to sit still for more than five minutes. This means that if I'm busy I don't get a chance to sit down and do nothing (no point being a performing monkey if there is no audience, and if there is one then I have to do the flips and bang my cymbals sorta thing). The Moot and the Wilderness Gathering are my best shows and are populated by the most interested (and interesting) people, as well as the largest number of friends in any one place, so I am on the go the whole time.

With people there and an inability to not do stuff, I end up not looking after myself as well as I should. You know what its like, you are out having fun with your friends in the playground and forget to eat/drink/urinate and then you stop and realise that you are thirsty and really need a pee! Having a helper at shows is a rare luxury for me, since most people who would help can't spare a day at either end of a weekend, wife won't let them out, or can't make their own travel arrangements. Having Chris the Cat on hand as my Gathering help is always a great when it comes to dealing with sales and the pee breaks. But above that he is a very good friend that I rarely get to see due to life getting in the way. Also, he is bloody hilarious to have around when I'm already in 'talking nonsense' mode :lmao: So firstly, a big public thankyou to Mr YMCA, Man Nipples, Bushcraft Gimpsuit, Chris the Cat :thankyou:

In addition to the hired in help, the folks at both of these shows (and friends from them that I see at other events), thanks for holding the fort for me when nature finally screams loud enough for me to hear. There were several people over the weekend who brought me cold drinks, ice creams and caffinated beverages when I needed them. I'm ashamed to say that I can't recall all of the names or even the faces, things do all seep into a blur after a while I'm afraid! Thankyou all and I apologise for repaying the kindness with Forge Water (ok, maybe I don't apologise, that stuff is just plain funny :nana: )

I would also like to thank specifically Stuey and Emma, who brought the communal fire and the food to the Man Creche each evening (and cooked Chris and I breakfast while they ate their own bought in grub!). The fire and food aside, it is always a pleasure meeting up with you and I look forward to the next time, great company is great company. You are both stars and made the Creche a more sociable place to be. :thankyou:

In general, I just wanted to thank all of those who have sat there and watched me sweat for my passion and listend to me talk the most utter rubbish, whatever tangent it takes (especially when led in strange directions by you lot!). I go to a lot of shows over the year, but the people I meet and the friends I only see once or twice a year at the Wilderness Gathering and the Bushmoot really are what keep me on the show circuit (I do often think of giving that up, its too much like hard work and too stressful at times).

Thankyou all!

:thankyou: :bigok:

steve581

Sep 2, 2011
Lindford
It was great to finally meet you at the show after hearing so much about you and I can say that it was an utter pleasure to meet both you & Chris the Cat as well as everyone else. As my first time at the event I can honestly say the fond memories are going to remain with me and the welcoming nature of everyone was fantastic. Thanks again to both you & Chris, my sides are still recovering from laughter. :lmao:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
To say it is a pleasure does not do it justice mate.
I knew you as a skilled craftsman before I was able to call you a good friend.
I have many, many knives and know the best knifemakers in this country ( and a few from others ) your knives are without a doubt my favorites.
You give alot of yourself at shows mate, happy to have 'got yer back' as it were.
See you soon I hope.
C da C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE