Wilderness gathering 2005/2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
who went to the wilderness gathering and who is planing on going to the 2006 event?

I only ask as I am thinking about going to the 2006 event and want honest opionions of the past events.

also what did the final cost come to for attending the event? I see you pay to attend then have to pay for any courses or classes you wish to take part in.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
This year, if you paid for the weekend ticket the standard courses were included. Masterclasses were extra. If you had a day ticket, you had to pay for all classes. I'm not sure how well that worked, it seemed to cause some degree of confusion and embarrassment.

Depending on the setup, I'd definitely attend again, though I'd be wary if they didn't cap the number of tickets, as decent camping spots and firewood are limited. They should also look at how to make the classes a little more manageable, as some of the popular ones were just far too oversubscribed to make it easy to teach or learn from.

Overall though it was a good setup, very friendly and enjoyable.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I very much enjoyed just going for the day, couldnt really fully justify the £70 for the weekend as I would ahve ended up paying for the missus too...so £140 :eek:

It was in my opinion a little crowded on the courses and i decided not to go to a lot of the ones i had hoped to go to as they were so busy I didn't think i was going to benifit from them.

For £7 entry the day ticket was worth it if you don't intend to do 5 courses as they cost £10 each. If you intend to attend lots of course then the weekend ticket works out well.

But it was a good day and I certainly intend to go next year, but again probably only for the day.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
I'm not sure if £7.00 for the day was worth it - essentially it was an entry fee to a market (which you could easily browse through - with chats - in an hour)- there wasn't anything included in that price apart from the opportunity to shop. If you are going to meet up with old friends or with a particular purchase in mind and you want to try before you buy then it is an excellent event. I'd go next year but for the weekend rather than the day.

Flux

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
LOL...i dunno fluxus, There was a reasonable amount of help-your-self food there too. :D
I stripped a fare load of sloes (a little early i know but they seemed very ripe already) and a load of elderberrys too.

But seriously though i see your point - Not sure how much, if at all, entrance to the bison centre is on a normal day :confused: .

Would be nice to see a discouned weekend pass - that doesn't entitle you access to all the courses free of charge. What do other people think to that?

Perhaps we could present some ideas to Roger and Dominic the event organisers.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I went with a few friends and had a really great time. I'm quite new to all this bushcraft community thing, so was nervous of meeting up with a load of knife wielding post holocaust survival types. However, they were few and far between (and actually quite good company!), and everyone else was most welcoming and pleasent.

I learnt quite a bit of stuff, although found that I already knew quite a lot too. Most importantly though the message wasn't about skills, more about attitude and approach.

I went with shopping in mind and bought some stuff. The best workshops were those run informally outside the tent by my good friend Garrick :You_Rock_

But mostly a really freiendly place to be, learning stuff, singing songs around the fire, spinning poi and juggling in the woods.

FANTASTIC!

greensurfingbear

you guys are selling it to me :beerchug:

think £140 for me and the missus for the weekend might be good then.

it seems that it was better to attend all weekend rather than for the day. if the courses are part of the weekend fee then it works out a real good bargain.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
Hi Everyone,

I went with the family for the weekend. My wife likes camping and would have been quite happy to sit outside the tent and read. My daughters are 7 and 5, and just played in the childrens area.

So essentially I was paying for two adults and one child in order for me to do the bushcrafty stuff.

What I would like to see next year is a family ticket. Partners may be into camping but may have no desire to learn how to chop things up, track, skin, light fires, but would enjoy the company of others.

Having been once, I would probably bring some bushcrafty activities along for the kids to do, as they wandered off exploring, and ripped their legs on barb wire (in effect we are staying on a working farm).

So personally I thought it was a bit on the expensive side, especially as I ended up buying an axe, ordering a knife, falling in love with tipi style tents, and wondering how to afford a landie.

However weather was perfect, it started raining on the sunday at 5:30ish when nearly everyone had packed up.

Only downside is the crap road infrastructure which meant a 4hr journey home!

(Not complaing, just my own observations)

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
Hello, has anyone got any details for next years event? From what everyone has been saying it sounds like it could be worth trying to get there.
Thanks.
Andrew.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The web site is here, though it looks like there's a mixture of old and new content on there at the moment.

bryanr

Dec 12, 2004
Plano, TX U.S.A.
I am considering going to the 2006 event however I would be traveling from Dallas, Texas to London Heathrow Airport (as long as a Yank from Texas would be welcomed) and from there I would need to figure out the easiest (and cheapest) way to get to the Bush Farm in West Knoyle, Wiltshire from the airport. Is there any issues regarding bringing knives through customs and carrying them out to the camp site? Thanks!

Bryanr

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
bryanr said:
I am considering going to the 2006 event however I would be traveling from Dallas, Texas to London Heathrow Airport (as long as a Yank from Texas would be welcomed) and from there I would need to figure out the easiest (and cheapest) way to get to the Bush Farm in West Knoyle, Wiltshire from the airport. Is there any issues regarding bringing knives through customs and carrying them out to the camp site? Thanks!

Bryanr

It's not far in distance, but the roads after you leave the motorway are quite slow moving.

I would allow 1hr to get out of London, two hours along the M4, and another 1½hrs from the M4. Approx 4½-5hrs in total by car.

andyn

Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Knives packed in your main holdall luggage should be ok.

As for the quickest route...personally i would take the M25 -> M3 -> A303 Should only take a couple of hours depending on the time of day (as it takes me just under an hour to get to heathrow and an hour to drive to West Knoyle and I live in Basingstoke which is along the M3) but bare in mind it is the last weekend of the school summer holidays so can get a little busy. I'd try and head down there as early as you can.

bryanr

Dec 12, 2004
Plano, TX U.S.A.
Thanks for the route information but since I am a redneck from Texas I would be rather nervous about you fellers driving "on the wrong side of the road". Is there a train or bus, etc. that I can catch from either Heathrow or a stop on the tube? I wouldn't want to impose on anyone but if I could hitch a ride out, that would be even better.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
highly recomended based on last years
the weather was rather perfect i must say me and mate just got all the gear packed into camper van jumped in and it started to rain .
plenty of fire wood which really made the weekend
bad point
well there is an issue with the number of people
we found a nice spot pitched tents in wood - we also had a lovely little area for a fire we went out for a walk and when we returned some chap had pitched right next to us were we were to have the fire- i mean who pitches right next to anyone else - mind you i have been to a few campsites recently where people have done this - can someone please explain this ?
lol
also there does seem to be a bit of an issue with numbers at some of the teaching lplaces .
as we were there to learn as much as we could we decided not to drink while there - however some lads near us decided they were so the first night was a bit sleepless

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Check out public transport to Warminster which is only about 7 miles north of the site, rail link available I think. Taxi or blag a lift from there. Better chance of a lift once people know your specific plan.

bryanr

Dec 12, 2004
Plano, TX U.S.A.
Thanks for everyone's help and patience! One more quick question, which airport would be the better choice to fly into: Heathrow or Gatwick? Will Gatwick get me closer to the event? Thanks once again!

Bryan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE