Wilderness cabin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Both are important to me, if I don't like the look of a house (& the area around it) from the outside, I ain't going to live in it.:) & even more so if I was in the wilderness, a blot on the landscape is not what I would call home....I don't like the interior either :D

I never saw the interior.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder. I think most of those are just as out of place with their surroundings as the one originally posted.

Agreed. I think it looks out of place; but honestly it looks like an ordinary house in an ordinary neighborhood. Standard (albeit very plain) frame construction and siding from the photo. Apart from the solar panels that is.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I don't like the look of it but it does seem like a place that you would be warm and comfortable in, the veg area looks good adn if it was yours you can always make changes over time.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Flying in the bush costs a small fortune. I can fly to Europe for a lot less than I can fly here in the bush by floatplane. Prices also increase as airplane size increases. Generally the smallest floatplane commonly used here is the Cessna 185, then the Beaver(piston or turbo), Single Otter(piston or turbo) and the Twin Otter.
This will give you an idea how expensive it can get. Remember, prices go up with airplane size. As you can see, even the 185 is not cheap! http://www.mts.net/~jglad/Rates.htm

Yeah, I'd not call that cheap enough to use very often, you'd have to buy in 6 months of food at a time, arrange for it to be delivered and loaded etc...a lot of hassle and money.

I wonder how they did all the building materials....

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I wonder how they did all the building materials....[/QUOTE]

As for the building materials, if you look around & at the front of the house you can see the young pine trees,( planted somewhat regimentally ) the original trees no doubt were used in the construction.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Agreed. I think it looks out of place; but honestly it looks like an ordinary house in an ordinary neighborhood. Standard (albeit very plain) frame construction and siding from the photo. Apart from the solar panels that is.

There's no accounting for taste!......apparently some members here see no problem with an "ordinary looking house you can find in an ordinary neighbourhood" planted in the wilderness :dunno:
I wonder how many plain brown envelopes were needed to get planning permission :)

Last edited:

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
The world would be a big old boring place if we all liked the same things!

Not a fan of the style but definitely like the idea of being so far away from civilization - even if it's only a week at a time or whatever. Now I just need that big win on the lottery and you're all invited! lol

Dr O

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Does it look any worse than some of the modern houses you see in Sweden or Norway? Its modern design and insulation means warmth in winter, its off grid looks to be well thought out, living area upstairs to take in the view, sat phone and internet etc.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, I'd not call that cheap enough to use very often, you'd have to buy in 6 months of food at a time, arrange for it to be delivered and loaded etc...a lot of hassle and money...

That's common for some entire villages in far northern Alaska and Canada. Food/supplies/fuel/etc. have to either be flown in or brought in over the ice road before it melts. The style is also fairly common in many of those villages now.

I suspect the isolation is a big (very big) part of the attraction for this place.

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
That is one Ugly looking building :yikes:the person who had it built was obviously from suburbia.....this is my idea of a wilderness cabin....http://thecia.com.au/reviews/l/images/last-trapper-dernier-trappeur-6.jpg......built by Nicolas Vanier in the Canadian Yukon.

Here it is being built http://www.nicolasvanier.com/photos/album_photo/enfant_des_neiges/photos/image_12.html

I don't really get the idea that a house needs to look nice from the outside, for me it matters more what its like inside.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
For that money I want something a bit more convenient.
Imagine the cost of building that place.. You'd have to fly or barge in all of the materials which would cost a good chunk of cash, clear the site then get a crew of builders to actually stay on site and get the place built in the weather window available.. Then there is permiting and compliance costs etc... It would be a costly undertaking to build something similar..Or you could rock out into the wilds with an axe and saw and knock up a log cabin....I think if you had the cash and actually wanted to live off the grid with some modern accouterments but with all of the implications of remote OTG living it looks to be a well set up place... I suspect the asthetics of the place externally are not that important what it's minus 20 and there is 6 ft of snow outside...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wonder how they did all the building materials....

As for the building materials, if you look around & at the front of the house you can see the young pine trees,( planted somewhat regimentally ) the original trees no doubt were used in the construction.[/QUOTE]

I suppose it depends on how old the cabin is. The pine trees I see out front (and round the house) look to be about 12-17 years old. And as near as I can tell they're natural regrowth (not in a row as in a timber plantation) They may have been re-seeded deliberately but if so, they were "broadcast" rather than planted in rows.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Imagine the cost of building that place.. You'd have to fly or barge in all of the materials which would cost a good chunk of cash, clear the site then get a crew of builders to actually stay on site and get the place built in the weather window available.. Then there is permiting and compliance costs etc... It would be a costly undertaking to build something similar..Or you could rock out into the wilds with an axe and saw and knock up a log cabin....I think if you had the cash and actually wanted to live off the grid with some modern accouterments but with all of the implications of remote OTG living it looks to be a well set up place... I suspect the asthetics of the place externally are not that important what it's minus 20 and there is 6 ft of snow outside...

Timber framed panel construction needn't take long at all to build, most of the work is done off site and the panels being delivered then fitted together on site.
Its still going to cost a bit to get the materials in if by aircraft but by boat it wouldn't be bad.
Its surprising just how quickly they go together so the crew needn't be there too long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE