Wilderness Areas in the British Isles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hootchi

Settler
I'm sure that we all agree that the British Isles are far too heavily populated to allow far any 'real' wilderness areas but where do you think are the best of them?

'Wilderness' can be interpreted in a number of different ways, what do you think of when you think of 'wilderness' and what do you hope to realistically encounter when you visit them?

For me 'wilderness' conjures up thoughts of vast expanses of woodland, untouched by man since the beginning. This is possibly only realistic in the forests of New England, the Rockies, Norway, or Russia, the jungle just doesn't do it for me.:roll: However I would hope to be able to walk for a few days on the moors without seeing anyone, practice some bushcraft and not encountering any large sources of interference by man. Where is this possible in the UK?

Thanks for your input.:wink:

Dec 27, 2004
wiltshire
there are many places in the uk where you can find yourself alone in the wilderness just a few are

sailsbury plain
exmoor
northwest scotland
north yorks moors
grizdale forrest
most forrested areas around betys coed near snowdon around the banks of lynn mubyr

just look around for non touris plases and ye shall find :chill:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
hootchi said:
For me 'wilderness' conjures up thoughts of vast expanses of woodland, untouched by man since the beginning. This is possibly only realistic in the forests of New England, the Rockies, or Russia, the jungle just doesn't do it for me.:roll:
What about Norway?? :rant: :eek:T:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
This might sound silly to some of you but I can tell you Dartmoor can get very scary when it wants to be. There's something about it that I've not felt anywhere else in the UK, something scary and barren, like you won't ever get home again or something :yikes: When you're lost on Dartmoor you feel very very lost indeed.

hootchi

Settler
arctic hobo said:
This might sound silly to some of you but I can tell you Dartmoor can get very scary when it wants to be. There's something about it that I've not felt anywhere else in the UK, something scary and barren, like you won't ever get home again or something :yikes: When you're lost on Dartmoor you feel very very lost indeed.
I will have to agree with you there, but I havn't been really badly lost (touch wood), only at bit of dismay at times. :roll: I think I know Dartmoor a bit too well now to get totally overwhelmed.

I was wondering of any other wilderness areas that it is possible to wander alone for days in the UK with no feeling that anyone else has been there before. Does it exist?:?: I suppose if you choose the time of year well you could feel quite out of touch.

Cheers for your input.:biggthump

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
In my experience the best way of getting the “wilderness” experience is by canoe or kayak. These allow one to visit areas which difficult to reach by other means.
Sea kayaking allows one to land on remote islands or beaches inaccessible from the land.
Canoes or kayaks can be used to explore inland waterways which are not navigable using other craft.
Another factor is that you can carry a huge amount of camping gear with no extra effort.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
My brother and three freinds were doing the Ten Tors one year when we were all at school in Devon. They were on a practice hike on Dartmoor, with half kit - a two man tent, half rations, etc...

The day had started well, but the mists rolled in, the weather turned bad, and the rivers swelled. One of the boys turned his ankle trying to jump a river and they ended up having to camp overnight. They were airlifted off the next morning by the rescue team...

Dartmoor can be VERY scary...

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Hootchi
The coastal fringes of NW scotland are amongst the few wilderness areas left in the uk. If they dont have big mountains then you're unlikely to find anyone else there. I can think of places I could go where I wouldn't see anyone literally for months at a time.

George

hootchi

Settler
george said:
Hootchi
The coastal fringes of NW scotland are amongst the few wilderness areas left in the uk. If they dont have big mountains then you're unlikely to find anyone else there. I can think of places I could go where I wouldn't see anyone literally for months at a time.

George
Now you're talking. Would that be on the West Coast higher than Inverness? :biggthump

Cheers :wink:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Yup

There are some spots I know where the likelyhood of meeting another person is just about nil. Of course there are other places that are very popular - but outside of tourist season they're often totally empty too. They can be pretty difficult to get to, but if you want the place to yourself it's worth the effort.

George

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I've been up above Ullapool on the West Coast - about as far as sugarloaf - and felt that it was getting pretty quiet. Driving with a caravan up on the Wick - Thurso road many years ago also felt very reminiscent of the empty places in American road movies !

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
george said:
Hootchi

George

does anyone fancy a mini exped type trip in this sort of area this summer?
might be fun.

Hi
I guess it depends on your definition of 'wilderness' but Lough Erne in Fermanagh would get my vote - hundreds of forested islands, most uninhabited and a few in a 'natural state' (untouched by man for 50 or 60 years)
With my canoe and my tent there are few places I would rather be.
It looks a lot like parts of Canada, ok smalller and less remote but at least the mosquitos dont carry off your children. lol

My avatar is not Lough Erne before some one ponts this out - but it could be

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
The Cheviot hills. I once spent 3 days there wild camping and wandering wherever my feet took me. I didnt meet a living soul, might as well have been the last man alive.

It was great ;)

Simon

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Neiltoo said:
Hi
I guess it depends on your definition of 'wilderness' but Lough Erne in Fermanagh would get my vote - hundreds of forested islands, most uninhabited and a few in a 'natural state' (untouched by man for 50 or 60 years)
With my canoe and my tent there are few places I would rather be.
It looks a lot like parts of Canada, ok smalller and less remote but at least the mosquitos dont carry off your children. lol

My avatar is not Lough Erne before some one ponts this out - but it could be
Is that lower or upper Lough Erne? I've been to upper, was a lovely place :)

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
simonsays said:
The Cheviot hills. I once spent 3 days there wild camping and wandering wherever my feet took me. I didnt meet a living soul, might as well have been the last man alive.

It was great ;)

Simon

But is there anywhere Down South? I've yet to find anywhere solitary on Dartmoor, or Salisbury Plain (of course you're never far from a moving, armed bush in these ares.. ;) ) but I've never been to Exmoor. On the map it looks too small with too many roads, surely? Where's the best place closest to the M25/M40 (Slough) area near west London?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
But is there anywhere Down South? I've yet to find anywhere solitary on Dartmoor, or Salisbury Plain (of course you're never far from a moving, armed bush in these ares.. ;) ) but I've never been to Exmoor. On the map it looks too small with too many roads, surely? Where's the best place closest to the M25/M40 (Slough) area near west London?
Which parts of Dartmoor have you been to? And what was the weather like? Because I can assure you it can more than live up to its reputation for being a very creepy place indeed.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Spacemonkey said:

Short answer is nowhere... black park but there's loads of people there... virginia waters but again... loads of people.

In short, it's all rubbish in our area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE