Wildcamping in Wales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am moving to Wales in September, right near the brecon becons. I was wandering if anyone new of any decent locations to camp out or had any favourite spots that they would be willing to share.

I'd just like to find the perfect place to get away from it all really. Also I am thinking of planning a trip to Scotland for a week long camping trip any recomendations?

Hope you can be of some help.

Cheers:You_Rock_

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
There are only two places where you can "legally" wild camp in the Brecon Beacons National Park. I have them in a word doc at work, and when I get there I'll let you know what they are. I know this because I contacted the park authority years ago and asked the same question. I haven't used them myself so can't make any claims.

I use a farm near Crickhowell. Not quite wild in that it's a field with a loo and cold water supply, but it's £3 a night and we're usually the only people there.

Backpack sites

These are sites intended for use by individuals or small groups (of not more than 10 people) only.

Melte OS Grid Reference SN 918084

On the south east side of the river, between the famous Clun-gyyn falls and Graig y Dinas, 3 miles south of Ystradfellte. No booking necessary. No Charge Max no. tents 10.

Llech Llia OS Grid Reference SN 922193

At the head of the Llia and Senni Valleys, west of Heol Senni – Ystradfellte minor road, just south of the hairpin bends. Free overnight camping by walkers allowed by the Cnewr Estate, except during lambing season 15th April – 10th May. No open fires, dogs must be on leads, organised groups must notify the national park.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I live in Cornwall, and in a week or so im making a trip up to south-wales for a weeks camping trip. I've been recommended to Glyn Y Mul Farm, I've spoken with the owner and he seems like a nice chap, he likes to keep his campsite quiet and he has like 20 or more acres of woodland that he's perfectly happy for you to camp in, make shelters, fires, walk dogs etc. As I say.. I havent been there yet so cant fully comment on the site/woodland, but from what I've heard it sounds the perfect place to go camping for me and I've only heard good things about it here on BCUK. Its not to far from the breacon-becons I dont think.

Here's his website:
http://home2.btconnect.com/Glyn-Y-Mul-Farm/

Me and a friend will be a Glyn Y Mul Farm in the woodland from the 25th (Wed) - 27th (Fri) of July, then after that we're moving down to Merthyr Mawr for the summer bushmoot for a few days.

Timm

Sep 15, 2005
Gloucestershire
Have a look at Yellow Wood http://www.bushcraftadventures.com/ it's right on the welsh border not far from Brecon, I've been there a couple of time and it's great.

Or if you like wild camping with just a tarp and bivvi go up in the hill around Talybont or Pont-nedd-Fechan (near Glyn-Neath), I've been doing it for years with no problems.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have used the BB many times over the years in MOD manoeuvres lots of good locations for wild camping but not sure of the legality of it we used Mod controlled land which allowed us to camp hunt etc. im no sure about civvies

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I live in Cornwall, and in a week or so im making a trip up to south-wales for a weeks camping trip. I've been recommended to Glyn Y Mul Farm, I've spoken with the owner and he seems like a nice chap, he likes to keep his campsite quiet and he has like 20 or more acres of woodland that he's perfectly happy for you to camp in, make shelters, fires, walk dogs etc. As I say.. I havent been there yet so cant fully comment on the site/woodland, but from what I've heard it sounds the perfect place to go camping for me and I've only heard good things about it here on BCUK. Its not to far from the breacon-becons I dont think.

Here's his website:
http://home2.btconnect.com/Glyn-Y-Mul-Farm/

Me and a friend will be a Glyn Y Mul Farm in the woodland from the 25th (Wed) - 27th (Fri) of July, then after that we're moving down to Merthyr Mawr for the summer bushmoot for a few days.

Its a good site, and the owner Ian is a very nice guy. Out of season, if you give him a ring, he will let you camp there, so its a year round site really. Tell him you are a bushcraft camper and he'll show you the woodland. Its away from the main site, near a good river, lots of spots to pitch a tent or a tarp. You won't believe you are only about 4 miles from a large Tesco store

Welcome to Wales chap, you've made the smart move:)

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Thanks so much for your replies guys, i've noted all the places. I am certainly going to give Iain's place a go. I had so many nights out planned under the tarp this summer but the weather has so terrible.

Anygood sites with a river or something near by. I like to camp close to water:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have it on good authority that "what eye do't see the heart don't grieve over" and that some folk have been known to wild camp almost anywhere in the parc - but I cannot prove this as they pitch after dark and move on again before light, never actually being seen to camp.......nor leave any sighn of their having been there!
I have found many a place where such reprobates would - probably - enjoy sleeping, just by looking at the map and walking the ground.....
In fact I have found too many to count, almost all of the parc offering ideal bivvi spots for those naughty rule breakers!

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Sorry if this appears to be hijacking this thread but while there was so many people living in Wales on here i thought i would ask the question, which is me and the girlfriend are thinking of moving to Wales in the near future, so what are the best areas to move to for work(railways),being near the good bushcraft places and also the mountains.
Any help in direction would be greatly appreciated.

weekender

Red Kite

Nomad
Oct 2, 2006
London UK
SO 043 166 Pont Cwnyfedwen OL12 BB West & Central

I have overnighted here on a couple of nights with no probnlem. The are good sites both above and below the bridge (Pont Cwnyfedwen). There are some old hearths here left over from local kids using the site, but there was no sign of anyone else when passed through. The Birch Hall on the map is a bothy, but on my last visit (Feb) is was closed and locked -so it may not be in use.

The forestry car park seems to be rarely used as hikers tend to park up near the reservoir and save themselves a bit of walking.

You can also try SO 063171 Pont blaen y glyn (Same map)

Nice little river here, and you can either pitch on the grass on the northern bank, or in the woods on the southern side. There is a fairly popular area for people to come out for a stroll, so unless your just overnighting you can expect company at some stage.

Enjoy the beacons there are some wild and buitiful spots to visit

Kite

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
In one of Showell Styles walking/climbing books he mentions a spot on the Breckons under Pen Y Fan, I think. Likewise for a place near the top of Snowdon.
20 years ago, I found Cove on the West Coast of Scotland a good spot to wild camp with a good, potable spring but foul weather evenyually drove us onto a small campsite near Applecross.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE