Wild River with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
New Ray show, I'm looking forward to watching this. Certainly looks like an idyllic camp site.

[video=youtube;YX2KUBgQc0I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX2KUBgQc0I[/video]

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Wasn't this show meant to have been on last year but got cancelled for some reason or another.? I remember watching a trailer over a year ago, but nothing ever came from it.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
I heard this weekend that he has given up bushcraft presenting as he is not keen on the way it seems to be moving in the UK - ie. into survivalism without any interest in where the skills come from, or without much regard for the earth.. Or he may just feel that's what the TV people want and he's not prepared to provide it..

Johnny Canuck

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2007
The True North Strong and Free
That would be a shame. He is the face of the brand "bushcraft".
I heard this weekend that he has given up bushcraft presenting as he is not keen on the way it seems to be moving in the UK - ie. into survivalism without any interest in where the skills come from, or without much regard for the earth.. Or he may just feel that's what the TV people want and he's not prepared to provide it..

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
It would be great if he made a few new video's for the Woodlore blog. Just some quick tips and tricks, new video's on setting up tarps and stuff for beginners and some more advanced skills. I'm sure that if he made a DVD series like Mors Kochanski's he would have a new bestseller on his woodloreshop in minutes.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

I can understand that. On the other hand he is probably one of the few people who could change that. I teach wilderness survival, and I always make sure to make it more "bushcraft survival" than "pretending to be Rambo-survival". As one friend says: the goal is to stop surviving and start living (sounds better in Swedish).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I can understand that. On the other hand he is probably one of the few people who could change that. I teach wilderness survival, and I always make sure to make it more "bushcraft survival" than "pretending to be Rambo-survival". As one friend says: the goal is to stop surviving and start living (sounds better in Swedish).

Funny as he was pretty much single handidly responsible for bringing the tag of bushcraft out of what was negatively percieved as survivalism in the late 80's/early 90's.
Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Thing is he's making his living from bushcraft, from the courses he runs and the stuff he sells on the woodlore store not from a single episode of a TV program. He often likes to remind people that he started the whole bushcraft thing in the UK so as the foundation has already been set it shouldn't be a problem building on that and pointing it back in the right direction. I get annoyed with the idea that if he did start bushcraft in the uk how he can just walk away from it while still taking the money offered by those of us who still have a passion for it.

He is doing what HE enjoys doing....................................And earning a living. Good luck too him.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
He needs to quit the whole outdoor presenter thing and get back to bushcraft presenting.

He's done the 'bushcraft thing' his dozens of videos are all up on youtube and I'm sure if he was that concerned about money then one quick message to youtube and all the video's would be gone in the blink of an eye.

He's moved on, thats not a bad thing for any of us to do.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thing is he's making his living from bushcraft, from the courses he runs and the stuff he sells on the woodlore store not from a single episode of a TV program. He often likes to remind people that he started the whole bushcraft thing in the UK so as the foundation has already been set it shouldn't be a problem building on that and pointing it back in the right direction. I get annoyed with the idea that if he did start bushcraft in the uk how he can just walk away from it while still taking the money offered by those of us who still have a passion for it.

Seems a bit harsh mate, do you mean to say if you start something you've got to keep doing it forever?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE