Wild Midlands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Hi guys, have been browsing you pics and threads for couple of hours now and just decided to join up, so hello to you all :)

Im pretty new to the outdoor life but im looking for somewhere nicely forested around the midlands where i could walk / possibley wild camp in the future. Does anyone know of any secluded little spots around the midlands?

Many thanks,

Matt

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Hello and welcome Matt, pull up a log.

You are in the same position as the rest of us Midlanders i'm afraid. The nearest place to me was Kinver but you can't really do over night. It depends also where you want to go, Shropshire has it's possibilities but it's still down to trespass again.

why not come to the next Midlands meet, i went a complete stranger and came away with friends, an excellent weekend camping/bushcrafting.

I think we will have to put our thinking caps on and browse the maps. We did try to get a meet up in Kinver scout camp but they were fully booked from now till this time next year. Funny how i went past last weekend and nobody was camping, strange !!!!

Where abouts are you in the Midlands ?

Andy

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Hi Andy thanks for the warm welcome!

Im in wolverhampton sadly! Me and my girlfriend take walks around bridgnorth area, places like hampton loade and quatford wood although they arent big forests and always busy with dog walkers / joggers :)

I havent tried kinver yet, are there any big wooded areas there? When / where would the meet be sounds interesting :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Matt,

i know those places well, always driving past at least once a week.

The next midlands meet...

Goto the Forum page and scroll down till you hit meet ups then goto England mid. The thread is called Next Midlands Meet.
Basically it's in Coventry at a scout camp called Rough Close. Fri 26 to 28th Sept.

goto go to meeting now , speak later.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Ok mate thanks i'll check it out. Not sure it would be worth me attending just yet as im still yet to gear up. Shouldnt take me too long though :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Matt,

What gear have you got to get ? I've always got a spare tent if you want to borrow one of them, and you can always use my stove. I take my trangia and a hexi cooker. If i remember rightly there's a ex army surplus in Wolvo isn't there ? if not i know one in Kidderminster (right opposite the train station).

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Very nice offer mate :) Im currentley putting together a kit list, I've gone into bushcraft pretty much blind apart from a few mears books / episodes :) I fell in love with it when i made a bow drill set and got fire my first go. I've basically got to get everything starting with a Berax bushcraft knife. There is an army store, thats where i picked up a smith and wesson knife but as its double edged its no good for bushcraft really! I have got an old cheap dome tent from my festival days i guess i could put to use!

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Don't worry about bringing the "right" gear!

As long as you have ...
  • somewhere to sleep (a cheapo tent is fine!),
  • something to eat (we don't all forage for nuts and seeds, there's a big Tesco down the road)
  • clothes (you don't need posh "bushcrafter" kit, a pair of jeans and some wellies are fine)
  • some good stories for the campfire
... then you'll fit right in.

To be honest, the fact you're not got "geared up" yet makes it an ideal chance to see different kit and decide what will suit you best.

If you ask nicely I'm sure someone will let you try their hammock, or show your their sharps. There's a communal campfire where you can check out various ways of cooking, and you have the time to chat with other bushcrafters about their gear preferences.

Here's the link to the Midlands Meet thread:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32579

It takes place at Rough Close campsite nr. Coventry:
http://www.roughclose.org.uk/
(map of location here)

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Now your really tempting me! I guess i wouldnt need much anyway, last time i camped out was with 2 friends, they were freezing in my tent and i kipped on some pine branches next to the fire this was in feb and i wasnt cold or uncomfortable in the slightest lol.I'll run it by the mrs tonight unfortunately i doubt i could get her sleeping out, not until birch tree's come with 240 volt sockets anyway!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Hi guys, have been browsing you pics and threads for couple of hours now and just decided to join up, so hello to you all :)

Im pretty new to the outdoor life but im looking for somewhere nicely forested around the midlands where i could walk / possibley wild camp in the future. Does anyone know of any secluded little spots around the midlands?

Many thanks,

Matt

Hi, Matt.
I live in Kent, so can't help. I'm always envious of anyone who lives outside of the south east (the most densely populated part of the UK) - surely you can't be more than a hour or two's drive from the Peak District or Wales (depending on where you live in the midlands, of course)?
Have fun and look forward to hearing your stories and adventures.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Come on Matt, you know you want to, we can always go in convoy, putting the trust in my sat-nav. I got spare kit you can borrow like mess tins etc. Tell swmbo that there are toilets and showers on site although i didn't find them till Saturday. To be honest, i don't think i went back to the tent the same way twice.LOL

Thanks Wallenstein, didn't know how to link to our Midlands thread. You are right about the kit, and what a good suggestion. Look forward to seeing you at the next one, i am trying to put together some bannock mixes ready made in freezer bags for us to cook as those bannocks the last meet were great. (not got a decent pan to cook em in you see)

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
I'll have a word with her tonight! Would love it to be honest but cant make any promises atm. My brother gets married the next weekend, but there is a chance he is going to scotland (long story) so its a possibility, if its the later date that would be easier for me. Im sure i can sort something out :)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'll have a word with her tonight! Would love it to be honest but cant make any promises atm. My brother gets married the next weekend, but there is a chance he is going to scotland (long story) so its a possibility, if its the later date that would be easier for me. Im sure i can sort something out :)
It's confirmed for 25/26/27 Sept. if that help! :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Ok mate thanks i'll check it out. Not sure it would be worth me attending just yet as im still yet to gear up. Shouldn't take me too long though :)

Hi Matt we all started somewhere and the first step is always the biggest most of us who have been camping for a while have to be honest far to much kit so Im pretty sure we can lend you some we'er a friendly bunch and would make you feel most welcome as we were welcomed the 1st time we turned up

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Hi Andy thanks for the warm welcome!

Im in wolverhampton sadly! Me and my girlfriend take walks around bridgnorth area, places like hampton loade and quatford wood although they arent big forests and always busy with dog walkers / joggers :)

I havent tried kinver yet, are there any big wooded areas there? When / where would the meet be sounds interesting :)

Hi Matt,
I'm in the same sort of boat as yourself. As a useful hint for the Bridgnorth area which is my backyard there are a couple of "strips of wood" that whilst not very wide do go on for a bit which might be worth a look, though not sure on overnights (have setup hammocks with small fires but not slept overnight).
Just lob into google and look at sat pics:

Dingle Woods - Dunval Rd, Bridgnorth WV16, United Kingdom - head left when you enter the woods as most people are in the right section. Often don't see anyone further up.

Near Astley abbots on stanley lane there is an old railway line which has a long strip of woods that follow alongside it. Lots of dog walkers to begin with, quietens down a bit after a while though.

Locally that's about it that are easily to explain, else i'd echo the comment about heading to Wales. There are some great sites to settle down for the night, some supporting bushcraft environments whilst having conveniences nearby which might be the way to convince others to join you :)

Good luck and enjoy!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
You dont need to gear up! I got a £15 tent from argos, food and a small campstove for my first midlands meet. Just invest in a good sleeping bag, youll be fine.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Remember, a decent sleeping mat. Decathlon do a superbly thick (5cm) self inflating mat at about £25. It won't fit in your rucksack, but they are really comfy. I'll even loan you mine if you don't want to fork out right away - I'll be in my hammock so you can also have a look at my setup.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Unfortunately im not guna be able to make this one, which im rather gutted about due to all ur very generous offers :) How often do you meet even if just day meets because it's something im definately going to want to do in the future. On the plus side i will be placing an order for my berax knife next weekend and i've got some billys and mess tins on order along with a few other bits. As i'm not guna be there i expect lots of pics from you guys :)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
It's confirmed for 25/26/27 Sept. if that help! :)

It wouldn't help - it's confirmed for the 26 - 28 :D

.... How often do you meet even if just day meets because it's something im definately going to want to do in the future.

This Meet will be the sixth in just under a year. Our Meets are held over a weekend but we're very flexible as to people coming and going, some people can stay for the whole weekend and some can't. There's no issue if you're only able (or if you'd prefer) to visit during the day - the site does charge a day visitor fee though.

On the plus side i will be placing an order for my berax knife next weekend and i've got some billys and mess tins on order along with a few other bits. As i'm not guna be there i expect lots of pics from you guys :)

Pending unforseen circumstances, the very nice gentleman who you are about to order a knife from will be with us at the Meet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE