Wild Lore course - review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
26 – 28th May. Wild Lore Bushcraft course

http://www.wildlore.co.uk/

It was fantastic!

A group of 11 arrived at some woodland in Sussex. A varying degree of basic knowledge was held. I know a little about lighting fires, wild food, putting up a tarp, for example. Others came proud of the fact that they knew nothing and were very keen to learn. Dave called us together after shelters had been put up, then took us for a little walk.

The first thing we did was to try out our senses within the woodland environment. We were encouraged to find and try out our peripheral vision, rather than just focusing on what is straight ahead. Our ears, noses and skin were used to sense the environment around us, and we were taught how to walk slowly and very quietly. As I did the exercises I started to see a whole host of creatures all around, and so it was working well for me. Each day was then started with this exercise, aimed as at slowing us all down and tuning into the natural landscape around us.

The course covered a whole host of skills. We lit fires using birch bark, cramp balls, reed mace, with fire steels and with bow drills that we made ourselves. Successes erupted all around and many had their first experience of the elusive skill of making fire without matches. Perhaps old hat to many, but a joy for most! We all had a chance to put up tarps (most had brought tents to sleep in), we explored the basics of debris shelter building. We went on a wild food and tree ident’ walk. We discussed many factors associated with bushcraft, from where to put your shelter, to natural navigation techniques. We spent a lot of time learning new stuff.

We slept in a woodland that was host to a nocturnal black bird. He was a REALLY noisy bugger (and probably still is). Through out the course we ate like kings! This included preparing then cooking our own fish over our own fire. Fish has rarely tasted so good.

The skills and knowledge held by the tutors, Dave and Garrick, are exceptional. They really know their stuff. But more than this they are able to share it in a way that suited all who attended. Gentle, natural, welcoming. I’m pleased to be a beginner at all this stuff. I know a little, but came away with twice the knowledge I’d had before. There are a lot of courses out there for beginners, and this is another one I would recommend highly. Those who went knowing next to nothing all reported having had a great time, and all demonstrated that they had learnt a great deal.

As ever, thanks must be given to all who put the course on, not just the tutors but also Amanda, the lands co-owner who attended as our first aider. Despite the knife safety talk she had a couple of opportunities to display her skills. And to Cerri for her continuous supply of healthy lovely food. But also to all who attended with a good spirit and a willingness to join in.

Very Groovy!

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
It's off the London / Dorking Rd, easy to get to from the big city. They have another one running 7th - 9th July. Also an intermediate one (I'm on) 13th - 15th October.

If you do go, let them know you saw it here. I'm sure you'd have a great time.

Groovy

Paul

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Aye, that one in July was the one I was looking at, perfect timing as the missus is away that weekend! Cheers Paul

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Just thought I'd add to this thread - I went on this course with Wildlore over the weekend just past, and it was awesome.

I was pleasantly surprised in many ways - I learnt a hell of a lot of new stuff, but was also very pleased in the amount of stuff I had managed to remember from instruction years previously.

I really let myself go and dove into everything with both feet, from the silent movement and senses awareness techniques, to shelter building and of course, fire by friction. Once we started that I knew I HAD to get a fire going with it, and so decided that the fire we cooked over on the Saturday night would be started with my bow drill.

Thanks to constant encouragement and help from Dave and Garrick, and my camp partner Neil who waited for me to get it with the patience of a Saint (he'd already succeeded) I finally got it going after about 3 odd hours. The pain and cramp in my muscles and the lack of skin on my knuckles was well worth it.

I slept under my Tatonka tarp (thanks MagiKelly) and a DD Hammock for the two nights, and loved every second of this, really comfy and nice to wake up to the sounds of the forest with the breeze on my face. The nocturnal blackbird is still there....

Anyway, I'm just waiting to get confirmation I can get the Friday off and then I'll be booking up for the October course, really looking forward to it.

Thanks again to Dave, Garrick, Kerry, Amanda and all the other students for a great weekend.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE