Wild Garlic Transplanting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

udamiano

On a new journey
Mine is in a large trough, and it pretty much fills that, so I would assume it does spread. I already had it in the garden, so all i did was lift it and put it in the trough, with some John Innes, in a shady area, and it seems to be doing great, And Im known as the killer of green stuff, such is my gardening prowess :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Definately best putting it in a pot, rather than having a problem getting it to grow you may have a problem stopping it!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It does spread like crazy. If you you lift some (with landowner permission - digging up roots is a no no), take it soil and all in a clump. The roots are easily damaged.

If you take seed, plant it now - it must suffer freezing to germinate - if kept warm it lacks "venification" and fails

Red

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
We eat loads of this through the spring, didn't know that it grew so well in Scotland. I wouldn't have it in my garden as it does eventually cover a large area and I can do more productive things with that space. I did transplant a clump of it to a bit of unused land nearby and it has taken well. I just pop in and pick some on my way back from walking the dog - hiding food in plain site !

had some isn a pot for a few years from my mothers garden

you can also collect the seeds in the wild as Red pointed out digging up without specific permission is illegal (CWA 1981 ) as long as CROW act 2000 isn't in place on the land where you cant take any thing at all ( thanks Ramblers )

Now we have our Forever house i can release them to take over a bank ;)

ATB

Duncan

When would it be best to collect the seeds and what would be the best way?

you can also collect the seeds in the wild as Red pointed out digging up without specific permission is illegal (CWA 1981 ) as long as CROW act 2000 isn't in place on the land where you cant take any thing at all ( thanks Ramblers )

How do you find out where the CROW act applies and are the laws different up here in Scotland from down south for that type of thing?

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
It does spread like crazy. If you you lift some (with landowner permission - digging up roots is a no no), take it soil and all in a clump. The roots are easily damaged.

If you take seed, plant it now - it must suffer freezing to germinate - if kept warm it lacks "venification" and fails

Red

So, to clarify, its OK to plant seed now as opposed to autumn even though we're unlikely to get any frost for quite a while?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE