Wild Dinner challenge....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Barry Smith

Hello. I have accepted a challenge from my mate an his partner to cook them dinner from food, mainly, gathered from the land.

I am going to be doing this in a couple of weeks and was looking for some suggestions...

I was thinking of Pike fish cakes, as described in the river cottage cook book as the main course, and a starter and desert if possible.

I would love to serve up squirrel but dont own an air rifle or live in a place where setting traps is that easy.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Why not try perch, lovely tasting fish. If you can get hold of the large version of "Food for Free" (IBSN 0-00-220159-3) it is set out by season.
Look in the back of "The River Cottage Cook Book" there's a firm selling squirrel (page 439). Hope this helps.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've never eaten them myself but am told that zander are excellent eating if you can get anybody to part with them.

Dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pike might be good food but it's full of bones and can sometimes be all too easy to get it wrong and spoil things when serving for a dinner party.

Why not ponasse a fish or two ? easier, more in line with the bushcrafty theme, and you can season it with wild herbs and make a mushroom sauce.......thickened with one of the plant starches of course :)
Though I'm sure if you asked nicely someone on here would help you sourcing the squirrel or rabbit, or even venison.
We flash fried ransom bulbs in butter and then did thin slices of hare and venison in the jus one time we met up..........seemed to go down very well.

Wild fruit, like brambles, damsons, rosehaws, etc., for pudding, maybe a cranachan if you want simple, or a nutty fruit cobbler ? or wild pears poached with a hedgerow wine, served with a drizzle of rosehip or bramble syrup..........with little wafers made using toasted hazelnuts.

Acorn or dandelion coffee with wild fruits and nuts to dip in molten chocolate goes down very well.

If you want a soup for starters then cut down a crop of nettles now, and they'll throw up a , lateshort set of leaves while there's still enough daylight, and they'll be fine for a pot. The old ones just aren't, by now they're full of micro crystals that aren't good for the kidneys. Nettle soup works well before fish too...or rabbit.......

I am still foraging saladings but I know my area, I don't know how well you know yours to advise collecting.

I think I'll go and make dinner :eek: I'm sort of in the notion :D

cheers,
Toddy

Nice idea for a thread.................what would the rest of the folks on here fancy ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I saw it come up and thought, "Well, why not ?"
No one will be screaming Off Topic or offended that his thread is taken over, so have at it.......what would you serve for dinner ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Shrew stuffed inside a Mole, stuffed inside a weasel stuffed inside a squirrel, stuffed inside a wabbit inside a brock inside a Hmmmm.....

you get the picture ;)

Wild game pie, fresh greens and a drop of home brew...

An old thread indeed....

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
Everytime i go out, i try and make a mental note of whats about thats edible, of course my preference is the stuff that grows away from the roads. If i had been hard up for food then today i would mainly have been eating silverweed with a garnish of plantain, with a final sprinkling of clover. Yum...

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Cool :cool:

What about the stuff we forage though ?
What would you serve from what you can find now for dinner to non bushie type friends ?

cheers,
Toddy

Well thanks to Gary Wayland,at the Midland meet i know a few more fungi for the pot,and intend to get up to the meets in Scotland at Morch's,and hope to learn some forageing from you Mary.

Bernie

Jumbalaya

Tenderfoot
If you're making up fish cakes from pike it's probably worth partly pre-cooking the meat to make removing the bones easier as you flake the meat. Once you've formed them into cakes and fried them, try serving with a sauce made of pulverised sorrel leaves as an alternative to lemon.

Marcus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE