Wild Cherries

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Just been for a little wander on my local park and picked these.

Anybody else tried them yet? Many are ripe one tree but another was 95% unripe, so playing the waiting game for a few days :eek:

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
sxmolloy said:
Just been for a little wander on my local park and picked these.

Anybody else tried them yet? Many are ripe one tree but another was 95% unripe, so playing the waiting game for a few days :eek:

my.php
I tried some today as well.I tasted several but all were as bitter as a wronged woman.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My gean trees, the wild or bird cherry have been stripped bare by the woodpigeons but the ornamental ones are just starting to show ripe fruit, and they are delicious :D
I love fresh cherries but I'm not fond of them otherwise......well, though, a good cherry madeira takes a lot of beating :eek: 'specially with custard :)
We had half the village out a few years back looking for a neighbour's young daughter; she was finally found up one of the cherry trees at the end of the school road, pink and sticky from head to foot. Until then no-one had realised that the fruits on those trees were edible :rolleyes:

What's the funny cross cherry/plum looking tree, that's planted in streets fruit like to eat? Is it edible?,

Cheers,
Toddy

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
a lot of mine were sour, the odd one was sweet so it was a really nice suprise to taste these althought they were few and far between. :lmao:

Does any-one know if they become less bitter with age?

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
What's the funny cross cherry/plum looking tree, that's planted in streets fruit like to eat? Is it edible?,

Do you mean Damson, Toddy? Very good eating (and for turning into spirits)! Make great puddings... (Make sure there's no nasty pollution on them though...)

ODG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
These aren't as dark as damsons, (I like those, especially in jam) and they're shaped like tiny pears. They start green and then turn a sort of Cox's orange pippin colour.

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
These aren't as dark as damsons, (I like those, especially in jam) and they're shaped like tiny pears. They start green and then turn a sort of Cox's orange pippin colour.

Cheers,
Toddy
Could it be a bullace Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, now I hadn't thought of that Jon; they're not really found up here.
I think I'll have a closer look :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers,
Toddy

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
hi think you are talking about a crab apple , The fuit is very tart great if you add a few to home made cidre or apple wine or of coure crab apple jelly :rolleyes:

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I go cherry scrumping in the Coventry municipal parks every year. They make fantastic Cherry crumble, but I tend to find the raw ones a bit bitter.

Mind you, there was one tree that was particularly fine last year :D

I've mostly missed them this year - they've been ripening just a few at a time and the birds get them all when they do that.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It's a bit early where I live. Sometimes it can be early August before they are ready. You need to get there before the birds though. ;)

Dhole

Jun 12, 2005
ello

I picked some wild cherries this past weekend. They are bitter even though ripe. This is a common trait of the wild cherry it seems. The wild cherry seems to be the best to use for alchoholic beverages. I found this recipe for schnapps :
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/cherry.html
give it 3 months or so and I'll tell how good it is !

dave
cherryschnapps.jpg

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Dhole said:
ello

I picked some wild cherries this past weekend. They are bitter even though ripe. This is a common trait of the wild cherry it seems. The wild cherry seems to be the best to use for alchoholic beverages. I found this recipe for schnapps :
http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/cherry.html
give it 3 months or so and I'll tell how good it is !

dave
cherryschnapps.jpg

I've gotta have a go at that 3 months :( hope it will be worth it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE