Wild Cats (Pumas?)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
thats quite true in the wild on a hot day a rabbit can decompose in as little as 2 days

It normally takes flesh 72 hours to enter into putrification, whether it be fish, bird, mammal. The skeletal remains may last for years, my dogs have been picking up the same rabbit skin in the same place for two months now.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
Of course some people can make rabbits disappear much faster... :cool:

Paul_Daniels_main.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I doubt very much that the SAS were involved in a big cat stalk oppo. The SAS do not track animals in training or in real operations. Why would they?

But back on the subject of non native scary creatures on these green hills of ours. How many of you out there poo pooing non native cats would believe there are cobras, rattlers, puff adders and saw scaled vipers being released into the wild on something of a regular basis?

It is a fact, that the exotic animal trade in this country is second only to the drugs trade, and we know how big that is. When you take firearms, people and alcohol smuggling into account as well, that is one huge black market in animals, and behind reptiles and birds, cats are the most requested.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
But back on the subject of non native scary creatures on these green hills of ours. How many of you out there poo pooing non native cats would believe there are cobras, rattlers, puff adders and saw scaled vipers being released into the wild on something of a regular basis?

Are any of those equipped to survive our climate?

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
It is a fact, that the exotic animal trade in this country is second only to the drugs trade, and we know how big that is.

Hi Jonathan, In what respect; surely not in terms of demographic or geographic distribution, frequency of events or value? I know plenty of drug users but I don't know anyone with a leopard.

That's a genuine question BTW, I'm not trying to be funny.:)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Maybe not all, but certain species of rattlers certainly could. Easily in fact; they thrive in their native habitats in New England, and Cananda and the Rockies. And pumas would be quite at home in that climate.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Yes, certain species of rattler certainly could. And other species of viper in our most south westernly areas too.

Hi Jonathan, In what respect; surely not in terms of demographic or geographic distribution, frequency of events or value? I know plenty of drug users but I don't know anyone with a leopard.

That's a genuine question BTW, I'm not trying to be funny.:)

How many people with pets do you know? Birds, reptiles? Do you know the back story to those animals? We also know there is a huge amount of illegal guns and human trafficking out there, do you know anyone who deals with those? I deal with reptiles, and that is scary enough when it comes to smuggling, let alone illegal possession. We all know about parrots being smuggled in car tyres and taped around peoples bodies en masse because they are cute and make headlines. I know of one DWA licence holder for large non native cats near to me that has had escapees. Illegality doesn't mean they don't have a licence, it just means they are willing to pay for non captive bred animals. But the non DWA licence holders out there in this country is enormous.

Maybe not all, but certain species of rattlers certainly could. Easily in fact; they thrive in their native habitats in New England, and Cananda and the Rockies. And pumas would be quite at home in that climate.

Quite.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
How many people with pets do you know? Birds, reptiles? Do you know the back story to those animals? We also know there is a huge amount of illegal guns and human trafficking out there, do you know anyone who deals with those?

But Jonathan we are dicussing 'illegal / exotic' animal trade, not fido the pet dog. Human trafficking and gun trading takes place, and you are right I don't know anyone involved in that - but that it is because the frequency and distribution isn't as far reaching as that of illegal drugs. Now, you stated that "It is a fact, that the exotic animal trade in this country is second only to the drugs trade" and what I wondered was; In what respect; surely not in terms of demographic or geographic distribution, frequency of events or value?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm talking about animals taken from the wild to sell for profit. It's all down to money. Reptiles are now almost on a par to cats and dogs when it comes to the best selling pet in the west. Now do we know which are captive bred or illegally imported as buyers? The answer is no. Same with birds, but less so as birds are more regulated, but even so, regulations are not adhered to and are fuzzy. There is even a good economy in exports from this country in finches and other species like raptors. British reptiles too are sought after and highly paid for in other countries. It's all down to profit and frequency of trade. It is big business and one that is out of control because of the laughable penalties and little risk when compared to drug, people and weapons smuggling.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's just not foremost in most Governments agendas. The drug, human, alcohol, tobacco, food and firearms trade threaten us personally and financially in the short term. The pet trade only threatens animal species. It's a sad fact of life that animals take less precedence than our pockets and well being as far as Governments are concerned. You only have to look at rainforest destruction to see that in mass effect.

extremeds

Aug 8, 2010
essex
im not near you, but i have most definitely seen one near me (essex) near a sea wall in a remote part of the county, It stopped on the path in front of us, looked at us, and then continued on its way. So we had a good long look at it, and we where only 20-30m away ( we could see its eyes!) and yes the distinctive big tail is a huge giveaway! curving right down to the ground and then back up. Im not sure how these animals turn up, theres is not enough to breed, but in the year we saw it we know of 4 others that saw the same/similar cat within a 6 mile radius

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE