Wild Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Does anyone do this? It's something i have been thinking about for a while but not sure where to go, how safe it is etc.. any hits and tips would be great.

On a secondary not i have just joined so hi to everyone too!

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Hello and welcome, I'm amazed that noone has replied to this thread yet.

Depends on your definition of wild really mate, if you mean out in some woods under a tarp then I'd say yes we all do it.

Best tip I could give you is practice setting up your camp a good few times before you actually use it, people on youtube make things look easy but nothing beats practice.

Safety is up to you really. Learn to use your knife safely, take a a first aid kit or at the very least some plasters, choose your camping spot wisely.

Just get out there and give things a go, get comfortable with your kit and surroundings.

R3XXY

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Ive been camping quite a lot and used to just pitch up anywhere when i was young but more worried about laws and safety now. I was reading you can camp where you like on dartmoor national park. Maybe i should go there? Any suggestions on places to go avoiding the campsite type places?

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Unless you are in Scotland you will be trespassing. To avoid problems, arrive late, leave early and LEAVE NO TRACE. SO "wild" is not suitable for a static camp. Oh, and no fires.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
when i was a kid we just used to knock on farm doors and ask to say, mostly they said yes but that was years ago. i wonder i would get the same response now ?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As most 'wild camping' uses other folks land and therefore illegal, its not endorsed or encouraged on BCUK to talk about it.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
welcome to BCUK, as has been said wild camping usually means pitching up without permission. although it goes on, it has its pitfalls, you dont have a lot of choices down your way so perhaps the way forward is to find an established site on here thats accessible to you. there you can learn from others and practice the aspects that interest you, and yes they are generally safe places! once youve got the basics and the information you need under your belt, you are then free to fly the nest! :)

steve

Last edited:

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
As most 'wild camping' uses other folks land and therefore illegal, its not endorsed or encouraged on BCUK to talk about it.

Your wrong its perfectly legal in scotland and Dartmoor or if you ask the land owners permission first. Cool huh.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As said before - the accepted meaning for "Wild Camping" is normally "without permission" and is also known as "fly camping", "bandit camping" and other such names - "camping" is pitching up with perm in place - either, under law (as in Scotland) or by asking the landowner (as on campsites where it is a business or as a casual agreement as in knocking on a door and asking someone if you can camp on their land) and is therefore OK :)
Terminology can confuse the issue :)
Try not to assume your terminology is the same as everyone elses :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bottom line; BcUK will not encourage or condone illegal activity.

Members have had permissions refused because they mentioned the site and were told that the site encourages people to illegally use other people's land.
We know that's not true, but what appears to be a quiet conversation on here is actually read by thousands. The site gets literally millions of hits.

Outwith specific areas, unless you have the landowner's permission, wild camping is illegal.

I would also point out that in Scotland there is a right of access, but those rights come with responsibilities, and when abused the rights are greatly restricted. Loch Lomondside for instance. I'd hate to see Dartmoor similarly treated.

Toddy

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
I just wanted to stay somewhere quiet without people around, a little adventure and wanted some tips on the best places and safety aspect that was all. Not to cause a problem anywhere.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No one's thinking otherwise of you; it's just that what seems so easy, is a bit of a minefield.

Many folks have done a lot of work to find suitable permissions, and they most certainly won't post details of those sites on open forum.
Where you stay is, to my Scottish viewpoint, slap bang in the middle of the *no wildcamping* bit of the world, and the forum has to reflect that.

Two bits of advice for you............quietly arrange to meet up with one or two other members and spend a couple of hours walking/talking with them. No one knows you, so even very local people to you won't be open to inviting you along to their permissions.......or even just talk with them on here, the pm system is fully open to you now since you have posted sufficiently, break the ice, kind of thing. Get along to one of the meet ups :)
Find the threads that talk about permissions. Ged did an excellent one not so long ago that explained how to go about getting permission for a site to use yourself, but it's a popular theme, and while it can be a lot of work, the rewards can be well worth it :)

Best of luck with it :D

cheers,
Toddy

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
welcome zeon
whilst not wishing to contradict the policy of the forum and underlining the legal aspect of wildcamping in england (seek permission, pitch late/leave early,no fires).
i find it interesting that other areas of outdoor pursuits, positively endorse wild camping in england.
trail magazine is one such exponent. although from a hillwalking perspective, rarely a month passes without an article or at lest a referance to camping wild in any of englands national parks and this has been the case for some time now.
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/N...or-headlines/Wild-camping-for-the-first-time/
now given the public nature of this particular group of magazines, its highly likely that this topic has the attention of the parks authority and yet appears to be tolerated, at least in the uplands (although they do get a bit touchy in the peak district).
regards jamie

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
For my mountain leader training we wild camped in a 'illegal' spot, as long as you don't do any damage there really is no problem. Everyone in the outdoor industry realises this, just dont turn up cutting down trees, banging out tunes and making fires where you don't have permission to do so.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're either deliberately promoting an illegal activity or totally missing the point.

Most folks here would like a reliable place to go and camp. They don't want hassle, they don't want to worry if they're breaking the law, going to be moved on, feel threatened or aggressive.

They want to chill out.
Many go to great lengths to seek and gain permission to use land.
Posting to the effect that *you* do it anyway, totally undermines this.

A Mod has clearly said, BcUK will not condone or encourage illegal activity.

Thread closed.

Toddy

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52767

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE