Wild camp security... needs a mention.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I thought the 4x4 was the choice of transportation today?

I am ashamed how far Off Topic we are!
But I think the OP knows now that the only danger he is facing comes from Homo Sapiens?

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
I never asked what tune old Hassan Al-Mughrabi, Alia's grandfather, hummed while the python was cosying up to him in his tent. Given that the incident was presumably unusual enough to have warranted the story in the first place, I don't imagine there is some traditional Bedou snake-repellant chant, handed down the generations just in case. Might have been some verses from the Qur'an (it would be enough to make me start praying). Tell you what, D.B., I'll Facebook her and ask.

N Le B.

OK, D.B., I now have it from the camel's mouth, so to speak. The tune was "Love Me Do" by the Beatles. I kid you not.

Thanks, Nic, will remember that.
I have had two Encounters of Second Grade with boar in Europe, once in Hungary and once in Italy. Sleeping rough both times, pigs woke me up when they searched around me for food. They are very noisy.
I woke up scared sh*tless both times.

I had an incident like this well in my long-gone days in europe---- I just clapped my hands together which sounded a bit like a gunshot and was enough to scare them away.
another time I climbed on top of an earth wall in a forest, not seeing what was behind--- and literally almost stepped on a litter of piglets...... .fortunately they took off in the other direction but I missed out on a heartbeat or three.....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I lived in Western Australia for over 20 years.

Please, nobody try to emulate forrestdweller's actions with snakes. He was extremely extremely lucky not to get attacked. Tiger snakes (named for the colouration) are notably aggressive and will pursue and attack humans from a distance, not just when cornered. I've seen this behaviour myself, many many times. Their venom is extremely potent and not something to take lightly. I have no personal experience of King Browns but repute has them as more aggressive than Tiger Snakes.

Many snake species are unaggressive and will only strike if alarmed or cornered (in Western Australia the very common Dugite is like this). That's not true of all snake species and you should be cautious in any areas where snakes can be found.

I've done a little research. Just for consideration;
fatality rate of untreated rattlesnake bites - 10-20%
fatality rate of untreated tiger snake bites - 40-60%

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have sat amongst 20 adult boars and sows with their piglets coming up to me in the forests in Poland. No hint of aggression and I sat calmly observing them. They were aware of my presence but I was not seen as a threat. I have watched bears in the wild on foot and had no problems. I got bitten by a raccoon dog once I got a little too close.

Very few animals are aggressive they attack for defence and very occasionally predatory attacks occur. Most interactions can be avoided by understanding animal behaviour and some common sense.

Snakes can be difficult to detect. 50000 people per annum die in India though snake bite. Mainly Russels vipe. Difficult to spot when your working in the fields. Take your time to learn to identify local wild life and what to do in the event of a mishap.

I lived in Western Australia for over 20 years.

Please, nobody try to emulate forrestdweller's actions with snakes. He was extremely extremely lucky not to get attacked. Tiger snakes (named for the colouration) are notably aggressive and will pursue and attack humans from a distance, not just when cornered. I've seen this behaviour myself, many many times. Their venom is extremely potent and not something to take lightly. I have no personal experience of King Browns but repute has them as more aggressive than Tiger Snakes.

Many snake species are unaggressive and will only strike if alarmed or cornered (in Western Australia the very common Dugite is like this). That's not true of all snake species and you should be cautious in any areas where snakes can be found.

I've done a little research. Just for consideration;
fatality rate of untreated rattlesnake bites - 10-20%
fatality rate of untreated tiger snake bites - 40-60%

sorry in case I was not clear enough in my post concerning the tiger snake: it happened on bruny island(Tasmania)--- I came across the snake on a dirtroad in a forest, it was ca. 4ft (or less) long and had plenty of space to escape(== not cornered); the stick I was using to bang the ground to see if it reacts to the vibrations was about 2m long, held on my outstretched arm and I was ready to run in case of a reaction.....
I would definitely not​ recommed to others to try this! iI only brought it up to explain that snakes will not always react to vibrations they feel......

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
I have the following.

1. Black bears. I ran into 3 of them last year one needed to some encouragement to get off my driveway.

2. Bob cats.

3. A mountain lion was hit by a car however the DEP says (as always) it was just passing through. What to England?

4. Rattlesnakes up the wazoo.

5. Alligators when I camp in the Big cypress swamp and glades but that's far down south.

6. Fishers.

7. Coyotes. Lots of them. Sometimes they're so yippy I want to kick them but they always keep away.

8. Panthers aka mountain lion in the Big cyprus. So elusive and rare I have little hope of seeing one.

9. Skunk ape. Not proven by science but I believe. Well want to anyways.

10. Cottonmouth.

11. Copperhead.

13. Coral snake.

I camp down south in addition to up north so get a wider range of critters. However what do I despise most of all? Mosquitoes, black flies, gnats, no see ums and ticks. They actually intent to attack me, the rest would just as soon avoid me and always do. All of them are just fine so long as you're not either incredibly unlucky or intentionally/accidentally put yourself in harms way. I hate those bugs!

As for the rattlesnakes I have been given a pass multiple times when my hands and feet got too near by mistake. They don't always rattle which can be bad but mostly don't want trouble which is very good. I am too big to eat and a fight might end badly for all involved. I think around 25% of the bites are dry and that number would influence the mortality rating lower than it could be. Seems toxicity testing is based on mice but we aren't mice. A big Eastern diamondback or timber especially from a population which has a more potent venom (it varies greatly between geographic areas) full hit is bad. The fangs are very big and they are pit vipers which gives them another advantage. Around the world lots of pit vipers make it to the top of the you are screwed chart and not because they're the most toxic. It's all a game of chance really. A bite can be nothing or a world of hurt but the total mortality numbers won't reflect that. A very dangerous full hit by a very toxic local population gets pulled in with a dry or mild hit. I guess it's probably similar with other areas of the world as well. Why not with other species as well? Don't know about King Browns or Tiger snakes as they don't live in my hiking/bushcraft range but bet not all bites are created equal with them either. The only numbers that matter are yours. So really it's all relative.

Whatever the case be it the glades or outback don't put internet BS to the test. Leave them alone. Most people are injured attempting to kill or handle them. So not doing either of those goes along way to avoid trouble. Personally the truck drive there is more dangerous than the snakes. Drunks and people who text when driving are really really dangerous.

Ok here is an interesting point about most snakes. Many do a fantastic job at blending into the environment. Notice the breakup pattern on this timber I encountered. Head black, body has a pattern and tail is black. The colors can also be yellow morph or more solid. The tri breakup works at a distance to fool the mind's eye. You can see the snake but might not "see" the snake. It happens to me so why not others as well?

Going.

Going.....

Gone......... I am within potential strike range and it's so hard to see.

The tail also matches the log as it passes over, the breakup matches the sun, leaves and shadow. I am pushing my luck and the critter made it known. LOL!

No harm and we both headed in opposite directions. Still had miles to go.

Last edited:

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Having lived in Australia (Western, South and a while round Sydney) as a kid I can tell you with absolute certainty that the snakes in the USA are nothing like the snakes in Oz.

The Taipan or Fierce Snake are known for striking and chasing you to strike again and again. Size doesn't matter. They aren't chasing you off, they want you dead!

Dad cut a King Brown in half cutting the grass in the garden Manly A neighbour told him it happens all the time and that the were always pretty placid. They are one of the most venomous snakes in the world.

The Dugite is easily able to kill.

Honestly when about 8 of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world live in your country you develop a healthy respect, very quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE