Wild Boar in Kent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Currently working down in Kent (Romney Marsh). Talking to a guy who had just come back from a run, who said he had a wild boar run across the path in front of him.
Never really thought about them here in the U.K., though I've seen them in France.

Any tips on spotting them, habitat, feeding habits what to do/not do etc.

thanks

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I found the jaw bone of a pig in a woods near Canterbury. There have been reports of wild boar there too!! Never seen any trace of them myself though.

Down these ends? Which patch of woodland was that in? Wasn't by East Blean was it? I suppose they're adapting, spreading and eating everything in sight. They get up to 80kg+, so you can imagine the calorie intake.

They're mighty irritable. I heard some ravers got gored in Germany a few years ago on the outskirts of a small town. It's well known they charge when wounded too. Really easy to bump into them in Europe. I've seen them run across tracks sometimes 4-8m away. My Dad also bumped into one in Italy earlier this year and thought he was going to get charged. Nearly dropped a brick in his elasticated waist dockers!

I always find that sometimes they have the strangest smell on their fur come the right season. It's like horse, except it won't wash off from your hands for about 3 days...

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
There's a lot in the forest of Dean and they are regularly culled. People are warned to stay well away when they have young.
No advice on spotting I'm afraid as we do our best to avoid them.

A lot of rubbish has been written about wild boar.

http://theotterswhisker.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/wild-boar.html

Wild-Boar-63-with-old-lady.jpg

I've only ever come across them in captivity, and they seemed to me to be just as curious and friendly as any domesticated pig is. If you don't threaten them, they won't harm you. Nine times out of ten they'll avoid being seen anyway. I've heard them in Sussex before, but they are always long gone by the time I get to where the noises were coming from.

Last edited:

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
A lot of rubbish has been written about wild boar.

http://theotterswhisker.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/wild-boar.html

Wild-Boar-63-with-old-lady.jpg

I've only ever come across them in captivity, and they seemed to me to be just as curious and friendly as any domesticated pig is. If you don't threaten them, they won't harm you. Nine times out of ten they'll avoid being seen anyway. I've heard them in Sussex before, but they are always long gone by the time I get to where the noises were coming from.

My girlfriend's aunt kept an orphaned one as a pet. It died years ago a natural death, but apparently it was as you said, as friendly as any domesticated pig.

It's a different kettle of fish in the wild, but getting attacked by one is actually pretty unusual.

There's a guy I know that sometimes photographs them:

dziki2.jpg

Really quite a beautiful animal up close.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Boars mainly get their fierce reputation from the folk who used to hunt them. They will fight if attacked and they will fight hard. They are respected by all who hunt them. Crazy animals when they get going. They would run straight onto a spear and keep going up the shaft to get at you.

Lovely animals though, and its good to see/hear of them thriving again. its a shame we can't bring the Aurochs back :)

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
Down these ends? Which patch of woodland was that in? Wasn't by East Blean was it? I suppose they're adapting, spreading and eating everything in sight. They get up to 80kg+, so you can imagine the calorie intake.

Hi Vulpes, its was in Challock that I found the jaw bone. It was of a young adult pig. I searched around for other remains but nothing was to be found.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Boars mainly get their fierce reputation from the folk who used to hunt them. They will fight if attacked and they will fight hard. They are respected by all who hunt them. Crazy animals when they get going. They would run straight onto a spear and keep going up the shaft to get at you.

Lovely animals though, and its good to see/hear of them thriving again. its a shame we can't bring the Aurochs back :)

Not to mention they're highly adaptable. Survive in just about any habitat.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
We have them here, If you pitch your tarp across a run they'll find you, worked for me anyway. :eek:

They can be dangerous, but if left alone they are unlikely to come looking for trouble, in the last few winters when it has been really cold they have come down to the edges of the city looking for whatever might be available in bins and such.

I have heard tale of a chap climbing a tree to escape some enraged ones, they stood watching him for a few minutes and then started to dig away at the roots of the tree, his cries for help eventually brought some locals who rescued him before they could have their wicked way though.

There are some great pics on BushrangerCZ's thread here.

IMAG0053-1.jpg

:)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Question here; are they true wild boars? The one in the picture looked more like a feral (several generations ago) feral hog. If they are feral, They are indeed not particularly dangerous unless threatened.

They are however, very destructive of their habitat. They'll root uo nearly all vegetation, kill and eat all ground nesting birds, snakes, and other retiles. within reach (and their ability to dig gives them a very long reach.

@ Vulpes: They average around 80 kilos; they can actually get up to 1160 pounds (527 kilos) www.gopherplantation.com/boar_photos.htm

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Question here; are they true wild boars? The one in the picture looked more like a feral (several generations ago) feral hog. If they are feral, They are indeed not particularly dangerous unless threatened.

They are however, very destructive of their habitat. They'll root uo nearly all vegetation, kill and eat all ground nesting birds, snakes, and other retiles. within reach (and their ability to dig gives them a very long reach.

@ Vulpes: They average around 80 kilos; they can actually get up to 1160 pounds (527 kilos) www.gopherplantation.com/boar_photos.htm

In Europe though!? Biggest I've seen was 92kg and I wrenched my back lifting my end! A few weeks later, I returned and came back home with about 12ft of smoked sausage. That 527kg beast must have taken about 4 men to lift!

I think European boar are a different kettle of fish.

Thinking about it...I think I saw that program about hog catchers on discovery...pretty cool job.

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
What may appear to be destructive is also very beneficial for the area. They dig up soil, eat, poop, stomp it in thus adding good nutrient to the soil, making the soil mare capable of supporting more growth, it levels the playing field as far as plants are concerned, the dominant plants will have been knocked down a peg or two and other plants can get established. So increasing soil fetility and biodiversity can never be a bad thing. Even if it means an area gets "devastated". It'll have grown back better in no time. :)

Nature never creates something without reason. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE