Widow makers!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have to say, if your worried enough to ask then don't use it for camps till to have done something about it, are you allowed to clear the hung branches? are you allowed to maybe clear a couple of pitches so you have nothing above you? maybe a bit of management would see your newly permissioned bolt hole become a fantastic place to go, after all when you "get away from it all" you don't want to lingering niggles dude.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I have to say, if your worried enough to ask then don't use it for camps till to have done something about it, are you allowed to clear the hung branches? are you allowed to maybe clear a couple of pitches so you have nothing above you? maybe a bit of management would see your newly permissioned bolt hole become a fantastic place to go, after all when you "get away from it all" you don't want to lingering niggles dude.

How do you go about clearing hung branches? Grappling hook and a rope?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How do you go about clearing hung branches? Grappling hook and a rope?

if you have it, of course taking the proper safety precautions, but if there loose other than being caught in other branches, or throw a line over the branch and pull on both ends in opposite directions so your both walking away from the branch and the area it could land.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
If folk would like to refute this I suggest instead of looking for examples of limbs falling off trees (yes it happens) but of limbs falling on top of someone sleeping under them. The danger is so slim as not to be worth worrying about, now how do you get to your woodland? that is where you are in danger.

In the last few months I can recall reading two threads over on hammockforums about people losing their lives to falling branchs - one was a young man who IIRC had the tree fall over his hammock, the other was a large limb that fell onto a tent.

I'm sure statistically there are more cars passing on a village highstreet than limbs falling, but what does that really say?

My concern isn't that limbs fall, it is that I could be asleep and unable to react to a limb falling.

Another example: I'd be less concerned to hike through an area where flashfloods occur than to sleep in the same area.

If I were to camp in a Beech forest I would stick to hanging from younger trees.

Also you have to consider the weather too. Just like I'd take more care crossing a street in the centre of a city than a village high street, in high winds I'll pick my camp much more carefully. Remember the gale force winds we had a few weeks ago? I camped out in that and slept like a wain (rocked to sleep in my hammock) but you wouldn't have caught me in a beech wood.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Also you have to consider the weather too. Just like I'd take more care crossing a street in the centre of a city than a village high street, in high winds I'll pick my camp much more carefully. Remember the gale force winds we had a few weeks ago? I camped out in that and slept like a wain (rocked to sleep in my hammock) but you wouldn't have caught me in a beech wood.

That did come up in conversation whilst we were there and we figured the winds would have shifted any thing that was likely to fall at the moment.

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
If folk would like to refute this I suggest instead of looking for examples of limbs falling off trees (yes it happens) but of limbs falling on top of someone sleeping under them. The danger is so slim as not to be worth worrying about, now how do you get to your woodland? that is where you are in danger.
only a verry small percentage off lightning strikes humans, but i wont stand in a open field with a lighting storm to
its all about common sens imo

Feb 6, 2011
none
Mature beech are the worst culprits , hence the name widow maker,i have 2 huge beech on my site coming to the end of their lives, and last week without warning a limb about 40 feet long weighing i guess about 4 tons just fell off , dont want to be a scare monger but i personally would not pitch under a mature beech tree, and adise anybody staying at my place not to .

ps. i have had them checked and major surgery done on them since .

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I agree you are more likely to come a cropper driving to the woods !
NS

Sure but you don't tempt fate by watching a movie while you drive or something equally daft do you? You understand theres a risk so you do everything you can to remain vigilant. So assuming you had a choice to pitch under beech or not why would you?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Mature beech are the worst culprits , hence the name widow maker,i have 2 huge beech on my site coming to the end of their lives, and last week without warning a limb about 40 feet long weighing i guess about 4 tons just fell off , dont want to be a scare monger but i personally would not pitch under a mature beech tree, and adise anybody staying at my place not to .

ps. i have had them checked and major surgery done on them since .

What kind of Diameter trunk constitutes mature then?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE