'Wide' screens !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
No - I'm not suggesting home cinema!

Occasionally I find text in a thread which is spread out 'wider' than my screen. I therefore have to use the arrow keys to read it all - which is a bit time-consuming and disjointed!

Does anyone else experience this - and how do I bring it back into a more convenient formay to read?!

Thanks

Bob :-D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Bob, I know what you mean although I have no idea why it happens as it seems really random. Sorry mate but until we upgrade the site it will stay the same. Hopefully though the upgrade will sort it out. It should be in the next month.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
if it really bothers you try this:(it can all be changed back)

reduce or minimise the "favourites bar(to the left of your screen)"

next go to "view" (on your toolbar), then "text size", and coose a smaller size text.

hopefully the result should be more text (but smaller) on your screen and a wider space for it to fit in! :-D

oh :rolleyes: your own messege was wider than my screen! :wink:

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
yep, you're right, it's usually to do with large width images, or quotes inside quotes etc.
Basically, anything that won't word wrap in the text area.
Images onviously can't break into another line, and quote always have a set pixel indent width.
It's not a problem of the forum really.

You could always try increasing your screen resolution, that would give you more screen area and you would have more width to play with.
i run at 1152 x 864 and rarely come across a thread that does this.

To change your resolution:
Google search results (check this lot first, probablly one in more detail there)

or (quick version, in XP this is, same on 98 etc though)

Right click on the windows background
"properties"

"settings" tab

Move the slider up around 1024 or higher (you'll have to play with this to see what resolution your monitor supports)

then "ok"

becareful when you select a higher resolution than your monitor can take, you monitor will cut out and go black... if so, then just leave it for 15 seconds and it should return back to you previous setting.

Also, if you set you new resolution and you find the new mode a bit "flickery", it's because the new monitor refresh rate has been lowered (usually down to 60hz)
go back into the same area, but then into the "advanced" area, then change the "refresh rate" to as high as your monitor can take.
Same black out will occur if you set this too hgih... just wait 15 secs and it should return.

If you royally screw that up and it gets set to a mode where your monitor is black all the time. then reboot and enter wndows in "safe mode"
Press F8 at start up, just before the widows logo.
get back in there and reset it.

hope that helps someone.
Cheers
Carlo

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It's not a flaw with the message board but just the way HTML works. Without adding script to the board (or doing a lot of back and forth server work) the page and browser can't communicate the width of the browser.

Add tot hat all the flavors of OS and browser this forum has to accomadate and it's a real wonder it works as well as it does! :-D

Power to the Web Developers!!!! :-D :-D :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE