Wide belt and possibles pouch (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
If you want to try veg tanned leather then give the lacing a try by hand. Just cut a circle in the middle then cut in a spirral with the scissors. That'll give you an idea of what it will look like.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thank, fellas. :)

If you want to try veg tanned leather then give the lacing a try by hand. Just cut a circle in the middle then cut in a spirral with the scissors. That'll give you an idea of what it will look like.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I can't imagine how many hours work went into that - well, actually, I can, and it must have been many! :)

For lace cutting, you can't beat this: http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/tools/knives-cutters-splitters/3784-00.aspx It will take up to about 3mm thick and can produce 7 widths, but the wooden strap cutter can also make lace (http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-gbp/home/department/tools/knives-cutters-splitters/3080-00.aspx).

I might invest in one of those the next time I order from tandy.

Geoff

Those are AWESOME any chance of having a look at the back of the possible pouch to see how it attaches?

Thanks

Dave

I can try take a picture later. It's pretty simple though. The heavier leather in the flap continues down the back of the pouch and is stitched to the lighter leather, Into the heavier leather I've cut two slits through which the belt fits. I refer this to a dangler style belt loop as the pouch does not move around at all when on the move.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Absolutely amazing.
How did you learn how to work with leather as I would like to have a go but don't really know what I need or how to stitch etc.
Would be interested to try something basic that I could actually achieve

All the best.

Cameron

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Clouston98, as with most guy into leather work I just picked up some tools and started to mess around. I find tooling quite relaxing. After looking at a screen or a book all day, it's nice to exercise the other side of the brain!

If you want to get into it yourself, Tandy leather is a good place to look for gear. I've only used them recently and have found them the best of the available options for leather and supplies, although they aren't always the cheapest. There are also some good, free, instructional videos on their website on how to use their products. They do some started kits in a range of prices that look good and might be worth a shot, although i just bought things individually and built up my supplies over time. http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/department/beginning-leather-kits/beginning-leather-kits.aspx

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Clouston98, as with most guy into leather work I just picked up some tools and started to mess around. I find tooling quite relaxing. After looking at a screen or a book all day, it's nice to exercise the other side of the brain!

If you want to get into it yourself, Tandy leather is a good place to look for gear. I've only used them recently and have found them the best of the available options for leather and supplies, although they aren't always the cheapest. There are also some good, free, instructional videos on their website on how to use their products. They do some started kits in a range of prices that look good and might be worth a shot, although i just bought things individually and built up my supplies over time. http://www.tandyleather.eu/en-eur/home/department/beginning-leather-kits/beginning-leather-kits.aspx

Thanks a lot I might give that a go. The basic leathercraft set looks like the one I would go for because if I ruin anything it won't have cost that much. Thanks for the info and the link.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE