Wide belt and possibles pouch (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Hi guys,

I wanted to make myself an extra wide belt in style of a Saami belt or a western ranger belt to comfortably carry my knife, axe and a possibles pouch on. I also wanted it to be fully adjustable so I could wear it over a shirt, or several layers of winter clothing.

I came up with the design below, going with a two belt design one of which is very wide, to support the weight of what is being carried, while the other is thin enough to accommodate a normal belt loop.

I really enjoyed all the tooling even though it was very time consuming. I took inspiration from nature itself in the form of the Ivy leaf pattern, and my Irish heritage in the form of the knot work. I also wanted a hint of middle earth in the design, so I kept the knot work simple, trying to bring an element of elvish design in also.

Although I already had a possibles pouch, I decided to knock up a matching one to compliment the belt and included some internal pouches for a tinder box and small pouch for a multitool, torch or fire steel. This style of pouch is really practical and almost cavernous inside, despite being relatively small.

The belt is really comfortable to wear and provides a bit of lower back support too, which is always nice. So all in all it has been a success. Anyway, I hope you like it. I tried to improve upon my terrible photography for this one.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Also, if anyone can suggest a supplier for some good quality leather cord that would be great, I'm keen to get rid of the paracord and have been having trouble getting good leather cord.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks guys :)

At that level of leather work you could easilly make your own.

Have a look here. Even I manage to do it and my leather work is nowhere near yours. Your head thinks it will come out in a spiral but it doesn't.
Oh, it's also great fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OmzxgqOMro

Brian

PS i'm loving the jacket/top. Where's that from?

Thanks mate. Will veg tan work for making lace? I'd never even thought to make my own.

The top is a Bison bushcraft guide shirt. A pricey bit of kit, but I think it is worth the cost. Especially since it's made in England as it supports craftsmen in our part of the world instead of exploiting far Eastern workers.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Really love the craftsmanship in this - but more importantly is the originality - fantastic work

I couldn't carry off such a thing myself - my look leans more towards "shotgun and banjo chic" - but I love it!

Edit to add

My wife says she could carry it off - and wants to know if you take commissions?

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I couldn't carry off such a thing myself - my look leans more towards "shotgun and banjo chic" - but I love it!

I'm not quite sure I can carry it off myself, mate. I've received more than one strange look, but sure I'm strange enough without the belt anyway. It's comfortable more than anything, so that's good enough for me. haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE