Wicker lobster pots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Anyone know how these are made? I have used steel framed creels before but these are heavy and sometimes get lost or appropriated. I have seen old photos of wicker ones and these look ideal for setting from the shore as you could just take the wicker pot and bait and put some stones in it rather than lugging heavy steel pots along the shore line. Anybody seen these in use or made them?

Cheers, Richard.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you mean the entirely basket woven ones, and not the hoops with fishing nets ? I have a friend who makes them, and I went to a basketry exhibition with her that had loads of different ones and varieties.
If no one sends you links or helps out, pm me and I'll send you a couple of contact details once I've checked with my friends first; two of them live down your way.

If it's the ones with a base board and hoops and fishing net, then I'm sure I came across plans for making them online a while back.
Bound to be folks who make them around though.

cheers,
M

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
I had the all wicker ones in mind as they look lighter and cheaper to build. Will see if anyone else turns up but if not will pm yourself. Thank-you.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The ones I first saw were at an exhibition of the work of Irish basketmakers. It was through at Falkland several years ago.
Joe Hogan had some incredibly good stuff on show.
He has one lobster pot photo on the gallery of his site. Have a look about four-fifths of the way down this page.
http://www.joehoganbaskets.com/Traditional.aspx

The pots are big though, there were no small ones. Maybe why the commercial ones are rectangular ?

cheers,
Toddy

grilled bear

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2012
Aberdeenshire
You could try contacting backwoods survival as he runs courses on this sort of thing and had one in his "the big picture" room might even give you a few pointers. If you want any help with the modern kind I'll help as made loads of these when I was younger. I cut out four eyes from wrecked creels a few weeks ago with making some more in mind as the small mesh netting for this can be harder to get hold of. We used to use rowans I think when kids for the scoubs (hoops) if couldn't get hold of alactathene piping. Also you can sometimes find ones with not much damage washed up in areas that are not that not easy to get to or just scavenge parts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE