Wicker Fish Trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hi, finished this at the weekend and thought you'd be interested to take a look. Its all woven from Willow using a method called 'Twining'. I also made some wooden hoops to fit on the inside to make the structure strong and rigid, these are Willow wood too.

I havn't tested it yet, but i'll let you know how it works... will hopefully come back with some pictures of fish!

ftrap5.jpg

ftrap4.jpg

ftrap7.jpg

ftrap2.jpg

ftrap1.jpg

ftrap6.jpg

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi Jon, congrads on that! Where from did you learn to do it and would you share the making process with us on your site???

Best of luck!

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Jon,the trap looks the business,if you don't mind me asking,
how long roughly did it take to construct?,and did you find it easier to construct than the other types you've made?.

Sorry for all the questions,i'm just curious as to the times involved,i've made my own fish trap and understand the headaches that come when making these things.

Anyway thanks for showing it to us.

Cheers Stuart.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hey Stuart, the trap took a long time to make. I made it over the course of several days on and off. I found that it can be a bit of a night mare to control the shape but i got the hang of that by the end. I certainly learnt a lot from making this. As with all basketry, if you collect your own materials, the prepairation can take a long time too!

This type of fish trap was not any quicker to make than other types i have made but i feel it is the best way to make one now.

I am hoping to just catch Rudd, Roach or Perch in the trap and i'll be using bread for bait or maybe something different for the Perch. What would be suitable for perch bait?

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Unfortunately i did not take any photos during the making of the trap so there will be no tutorial.

Hi Jon,the trap looks the business,if you don't mind me asking,
how long roughly did it take to construct?,and did you find it easier to construct than the other types you've made?.

Sorry for all the questions,i'm just curious as to the times involved,i've made my own fish trap and understand the headaches that come when making these things.

Anyway thanks for showing it to us.

Cheers Stuart.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Stupid question, what is it made from (willow?) where do you get it from and if you collect how do you do that i.e cut branches then dry for how long?

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
What would be suitable for perch bait?

Hi Jon,thanks for the reply,as for the perch bait i would try oily fish such as Sprats,Sardines.You can get them frozen from angling shops that sell bait,or failing that,try a tin of sardines mushed up and stuffed into a sock or a pair of tights.What you want is a scent trail that the fish will hone in on,and hopefully end up in your trap.
But as has been pointed out many times before on here there are legal implications to consider ;)

And oh good luck with it.

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited:

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
perch can't resist worm or fish baits (small ones), i have even caught them on prawns but they also love bunches of maggots....i'd target eels people will see there **** if your taking coarse fish but eels are over looked silly but true and eels are rather tasty when smoked

DIM TIM

Apr 10, 2011
Dayton, Ohio USA
Really like your trap there. I'm starting to gather some river willow to make one myself. Thanks for the pictures, they are a great help. I have a few other sites that have some pictures of similar traps, and between those and yours (which are much better quality and show more detail), I should be able to make a nice one for myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE