Wich knife do you use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
When you go bushcrafting, wich knife or knives do you use?

Personally I use a "Fällkniven S1" wich is a little larger knife but works great bulding shelters etc.
I also use a "Karesuando knife" wich comes is made in lapland and is a smaller knife but much easier to handle. This one I always bring when i´m going out to the woods.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I use a Fällkniven F1 when I'm out and about. I find it a nice size and it has a good 'stout' feel about it.

For heavier work I use either a lofty wiseman knife or a gerber camp axe.

I'll usually have a small classic Sebenza with me too...

Hellz

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Out & about I use a Helle Eggen, only complaint is the softer outer laminates don't seem to work too well with the old firesteel.

In the pocket there's usually an opinel or swiss army.

For heavier I have a tramontina machette or army parang/golock, both good for chopping.

Dave

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I've got an S1 too, I got it in a trade with Bagman (wonderful chap to do business with), a Wave multi tool and either a Granfors SFA or a Grandfors Wildife Hatchet and I'm good to go. :biggthump

Cheers

Shaun

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A small opinel has now become my main 'knife'.... ever sice I got a GB mini the Fallkniven F1 has become a bit redundant.... :-?
If not carrying the opinel, I've usualy got a puukko in my pocket.

Ed

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
My soon to arrive D2 hunter made by Alan Wood with ivory Micarta scales 4.5" fixed blade. My large Sebenza, a Swiss army knife, leatherman super tool, gerber sports axe and my Doug Mondt custom fixed blade designed by myself 10" Spearpoint in CPM10V heat treated by Paul Bos...

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The General said:
My soon to arrive D2 hunter made by Alan Wood with ivory Micarta scales 4.5" fixed blade. My large Sebenza, a Swiss army knife, leatherman super tool, gerber sports axe and my Doug Mondt custom fixed blade designed by myself 10" Spearpoint in CPM10V heat treated by Paul Bos...

....and a partridge in a pear tree. :-D :-D

I think you left out the small folding chainsaw Wayne. :lol:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have one of those chain saws!!!! :lol: but the partridge ended up in the pot.

I like my large Sebenza and when I have my GB Small Forest that might be all I carry. Without the axe I like a blade with a bit more heft, 6" x 5/32 home made concoction. The more knives I make the more of a problem I have deciding what to play with on any given day :-D

Chris

Hey, Wayne, how did you get Colin to part with that Alan Wood? I was there when he bought it off Waldorf. That is becoming one well handles knife :wink:

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
wow. you lot are well tooled! i make do with a reproduction of a jimmy lyle model 7. I have customised it to remove the finger groove on the handle and rounded off some sharp edges so its comfortable in all cutting positions.It works well with the firesteel and I have yet to find any limitations to its use. The more knowledge you carry,the less kit you need

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
No big suprises here. I have a Fallkniven S1 as my primary 'survival' knife mated with a SAK. I keep a spyderco serrated rescue ( discontinued sheepsfoot) around my horses. The ability to cut a bound halter rope or tangled tack ( without pig sticking the poor horse or me) in a wreck is paramount. I also have a Martindale machete and Wetterling axe for heavy work. For dedicated snow I carry a Lueko/puukko combination and an Inuit Ulu. That handle design really works in cold weather with mittens. Distributed throughout all this are several Ericsson $9 specials, those red handled irritants to the latest genre of dragon spit MK2 tactical swords that wont cut half as well.

chad234

Oct 25, 2003
Detroit, Michigan, USA
I never go with just a single blade, usually I carry a chopper, a saw, a food prep blade and a wood working blade.

As far as Axes go, the GB line is tops. I use the SFA, Scandinavian, wildlife, Mini or Swedish carving axe as circumstances dictate.

Here are some combo's I have used in the past on outings:
Picture%20121.jpg

ideal.jpg

sfa%20combo.jpg

Picture%20126.jpg

P0000295.jpg

wd%20002.jpg

The Scandinavian knife is by JM, a true piece of functional art:
JM%20001.JPG

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Chad in the third pic down what is the knife that is'nt the frosts? Is it a one off or can you let me know where they are available. Sorry if this is an obvious question but I don't recognise it.

Thanks
Bill

Nod

Forager
Oct 10, 2003
Land of the Angles
A 27 year old J.Nowills sheath knife given to me when I was a scout. I got it on my first camp for being "Best New Scout"........basically I ate every thing the leaders cooked and didn't complain about the rain, so the best new bit of the award is fairly flexible.

Anyway, its lasted years, been used and abused. Been a lever, a paint mixer, thrown at the shed door, left for weeks stuck in a log in the garden, used to tempt crabs from their mud flat residence,(you think that's bad...my mate had an original Fairbairn Sykes fighting knife given to him by his grandad, and he did exactly the same as me, it was last seen disappearing past the log we were aiming at and into the undergrowth never to be seen again :shock: .....if only we knew then what we know now).... I'd forgotten I had it till a few years ago I visited my Mum and saw her using it for digging holes for the bulbs she was planting in the garden. Its now razor sharp, and although the blade is slightly discoloured it still does the job nicely.

As I am now a bit bigger than the 10 year old who was awarded this superb piece of Sheffield steel, the handle is a bit on the small side, and as I am now spending more time out in the wilds I am looking for a new companion........maybe one of RM's bushcraft knives being made by Wilky S. But do not fear, little old Nowillsy won't be forgotten.....I'll put it somewhere safe and pass it onto my daughter in a few years time as she is my most constant Bushcraft buddy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE